Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2023 9:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xciapup]
Does anyone know whether a 24C is MA legal?  

Any thoughts from the hive?
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but the FFL in MA has to be willing to use a "work around" to legally transfer it (frame ONLY). And then you ship the rest (no >10 rd mags unless mfd prior/on 9/13/1994). Many FFLs in MA won't do this, so receiver has to ask first.

Someone can move here with the gun and that is perfectly legal, as are FTF transfers between 2 MA residents with MA LTCs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  I guess that is why I see so many frames for sale in MA.  Never sunk in that it was  legal thing.

I just saw where a 24 is on the "list".  But a 24C is not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Interesting.  I guess that is why I see so many frames for sale in MA.  Never sunk in that it was  legal thing.

I just saw where a 24 is on the "list".  But a 24C is not.
View Quote
The Feds define a firearm as the "action" (usually the lower/frame for most guns).

MGL defines a firearm as a device able to fire a shot. So if the upper is "missing" at the point of sale, it is not considered a "gun" under MA law. Therefore, guns that aren't approved can be obtained from outside MA via a frame/lower/action transfer thru a MA FFL and the outside-MA owner (or dealer) ships the upper separately (this is key to compliance) directly to the new owner.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, since the lower/action/frame isn't a "gun" under MGL, it doesn't have to be tested and approved by the state for it to be legally transferred.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top