Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2021 6:06:04 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I just saw a big shaggy black haired Boar in my back yard. I would say it was between 300 to 400 lbs. I would also say it was 2 to 3 times as big as my Redbone Coon hound, he's 120 lbs. It's hair stood up along it's spine and it's hind legs were shorter than it's front and it had bright white tusks. I tried to get a picture but it moved off fast into the woods. My neighbors told me there weren't any here but I just saw one not an hour ago. Anyone else seen one around? I'm in Lynnville and it's fairly well forested here and very hilly. There's no way this was a domestic pig.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen them in the Elkmont, AL area, right on the TN/AL border.  

I am originally from Summertown (Lawrence Co) and the majority of my family is still there, I still own a small farm there, etc.  I haven't seen/heard of any sign of any over there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, I just saw a big shaggy black haired Boar in my back yard. I would say it was between 300 to 400 lbs. I would also say it was 2 to 3 times as big as my Redbone Coon hound, he's 120 lbs. It's hair stood up along it's spine and it's hind legs were shorter than it's front and it had bright white tusks. I tried to get a picture but it moved off fast into the woods. My neighbors told me there weren't any here but I just saw one not an hour ago. Anyone else seen one around? I'm in Lynnville and it's fairly well forested here and very hilly. There's no way this was a domestic pig.
View Quote
Sounds like it's former farm pig that went feral.  Most feral pigs don't get that big simply because they have to work for a living vs. farm hogs, who are on welfare and eat all day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
...and his name was bacon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Some years back hogs were getting fairly numerous in southern middle TN and TWRA went to war, trapping them and doing everything they could to kill them, and, miraculously, it seemed to work.

I hope what you saw was a farm escapee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top