Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 11:58:06 AM EDT
So the Jose Webster ghost gun bill...I just got a call from my rep, who just spoke with the house sponsor of the bill...and they are killing it for the time being because they agree with me (after I relentlessly called all of the sponsors and spoke to every one of them) that it would outlaw anyone from even legally modifying their gun themselves. The maintenance exemption is not enough. No scope additions, no barrel changes, no stock changes, no upper swaps...nothing.

I of course told them the bill was also ridiculous as it wouldn't stop a criminal from fabricating their own 80% gun...but they probably don't care about that. They want the headlines.

But at least...as far as I know...they aren't passing the Jose Webster ghost gun bill until they change it so it allows home modifications (aka home builds on a serialized lower you passed a background check for).

I know...I'm begging these scum bags for crumbs...but the Jose Webster act as written would have ended all parts sales to NY completely.

Hopefully not anymore after I informed them what it was actually going to do...and honestly the co sponsors truly didn't realize because they are ignorant. The bill sponsor and the asshole who wrote the bill definitely wanted to ban all home modifications...but the co sponsors even agreed that was nuts.

So we will see what happens...I'm sure I was lied to but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good work man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
+1,000,000
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus if you really stopped it you deserve a medal
View Quote

Stopped? No I don't think I stopped it. I do think they will re-write the bill to allow home builds and modifications on 100% receivers.

I did raise total hell and called every sponsor and co sponsor in the Senate and assembly. I was too late to make a difference when it passed the Senate. I called all the Senate sponsors but they were all ready to vote for it anyway.

But the house democrat co-sponsors all called me back and listened to my/our concerns.

You can't go all "shall not be infringed" with these people because they don't believe in that. They are commies.

You have to show how illogical the bill is...that they understand believe it or not. I explained that this bill makes me a felon to put a scope on a gun, or change my shotgun barrel from a deer barrel to a bird barrel...or change the stock to better fit the shooter...or make any even legal modifications. That they understood and agreed was nuts.

The bill also would have outlawed home built ARs...even with a legally bought 100% lower. But I didn't mention that because they probably would have been ok with that.

I do think they will pass a bill outlawing making your own receivers / bypassing NICS...

But this bill, as far as I've been told, isn't going anywhere in the assembly due to the fact it outlaws any simple home modifications to a gun...which in turn outlaws building your own gun from a kit (even with a 100% receiver)...which in turn would have outlawed buying any upgraded parts or kits ever again unless you are a gunsmith.

So for now...ghost gun bills may be dead until they carve out an exemption for legal modifications and builds with legal NICS checked lowers/receivers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Be aware that Everytown has been lobbying the feds on this issue.  They were trying to redefine a receiver in a different way than the NY bill.  If it stalls in the Assembly that could be the reason.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
great job... have no fear it will be back on the docket.. these reps  control police don't really care. They want total control over your life.. chipping away at it every day.

Don't worry when they ban the lead from being used.. it will be than oh can't use copper because of how its mined etc.. etc..
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Frankly, the hearing on NYSRPA v Corlett cannot come soon enough. Unfortunately it is going to be a race against time and those politicians who again make unveiled threats against the court for misbehaving as they did with NYSRPA v New York City (Blumenthal and Whitehouse come to mind). While "court packing" is a concern of getting traction before the hearing, as I read Article III the Constitution (IMHO, the founders were on a coffee break when they penned that article), I can see the possibility of the whole thing blowing up in the Democrat's faces if they push it. If (BIG BIG IF) there is a ruling that places the 2nd Amendment on the same level as the 1st Amendment (Strict Scrutiny), the floodgates of litigation are going to open far and wide. A lot of these stupid laws will not stand even the first round of hearings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be aware that Everytown has been lobbying the feds on this issue.  They were trying to redefine a receiver in a different way than the NY bill.  If it stalls in the Assembly that could be the reason.
View Quote

Well in speaking directly with the assembly sponsor's legislative director, and all the co-sponsors...most of them read through the actual text of the bill with me over the phone, regarding the section that would make it a felony to do any modifications whatsoever (unless for maintenance or cleaning)...and when I explained to them that would make almost all gun owners felons the second they added a scope or changed the barrel or stock, they all seemed genuinely surprised and said that was absolutely not the intention of the bill...

It probably was the intention of the Everytown assholes who wrote it...but the ignorant dem politicians probably had no idea it would have that effect. They don't read the bills they sign - they just see "gun control" and jump on board out of of ignorance.

So almost all of them said to me on the phone that they would most likely pull their support until that section at least was changed.

Was I lied to? Maybe. We will see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Was I lied to? Maybe. We will see.
View Quote
The time to worry is in the waning hours at the end of this years legislative session in June. That is when all kinds of bills seem to awaken like zombies from the dead and get voted on. Big issue is this has already passed the Senate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
"Ghost guns" bills S-13A & S-14A have recalled from the Assembly, amended and restored to 3rd Reading.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work. Thank you for your efforts.

Now we just need them to realize that A-7246A the Mandatory Firearms Training bill is similarly flawed, in that it's physically impossible to comply with.
Only a couple more weeks of the session.  Maybe we get lucky and none of these other kooky bills make any progress before it ends.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Ghost guns" bills S-13A & S-14A have recalled from the Assembly, amended and restored to 3rd Reading.
View Quote

Wow so they actually listened to me about the "assembly of any major components" section. That would have ended even legal modifications to your guns...not to mention any home assembly from kits whatsoever.

I assume they don't usually recall something from the Senate that has already passed like this??? But I'm betting they did it so the companion bill in the house will more easily pass.

This still sucks...as criminals won't just stop making receivers...and will only hurt law abiding gun owners...but at least we can still assemble parts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice work. Thank you for your efforts.

Now we just need them to realize that A-7246A the Mandatory Firearms Training bill is similarly flawed, in that it's physically impossible to comply with.
Only a couple more weeks of the session.  Maybe we get lucky and none of these other kooky bills make any progress before it ends.
View Quote

I think the safety course every 2 years is just for handguns right?

Still no way am I going to comply with having to take a safety course after 30 years of safe gun ownership. They can try to come and take them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I assume they don't usually recall something from the Senate that has already passed like this???
View Quote

I have seen it a few times before in the past.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Both amended bills passed the Senate.  They now go to the Governor for signing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Both amended bills passed the Senate.  They now go to the Governor for signing.
View Quote

But the assembly companion didn't pass yet did it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
My mistake.  I thought the Assembly passed their bills last week after they were amended.  Both are still on 3rd Reading.  I just got a bunch of alerts on Senate bills.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Bills A-613A and A-2666A are on 3rd Reading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top