Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2021 4:31:44 AM EDT
Are there any museums in Georgia worth visiting with good gun collections?  

We had some really good collections in museums back in Oklahoma and I've been to most of them.  I'd love to see what my new home state has to offer.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The Infantry museum at Ft. Benning is fantastic.

Come on a Friday at 10am and watch the latest batch of Infantrymen graduate on the parade field.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Berman museum in Alabama. Then go on to Barbers
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done staff rides at both Chickamauga and Andersonville / Ft Sumter and both had a pretty respectable collection of Civil War stuff if my memory is correct.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Visit Camp Curahee and then hit the Military Museum downtown to make good day of it.

Camp Toccoa At Currahee

Currahee Military Museum
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not aware of anything on par with the museum in Claremore or the one at Wooloroc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the recommendations!

And, yes, the J.M. Davis and Wool-o-roc collections are a really high bar to beat.  Wish I could have visited each of them again before we moved but life happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendations!

And, yes, the J.M. Davis and Wool-o-roc collections are a really high bar to beat.  Wish I could have visited each of them again before we moved but life happens.
View Quote

I went to Wooloroc back in October.  I hadn't been there since I was a little feller in the late 1970s.  I stopped in Claremore with intentions of hitting the Davis museum, but it was closed.  I was able to see it a few years ago.

I did have some Braum's though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
J.M. Davis is probably the best least known gun museum in America.  It's also one of the few that is all guns, all the time.  I've been more times than I have fingers and would go again at the drop of a hat.

Wool-o-roc is just a mind blower.  They have so much interesting stuff to see, gun and otherwise, I usually recommend people try to plan a multiple day trip if possible to see it all.  Sure you can zip through it in a day but you'll miss a lot.  

You got me missing those two places and I've only left the state a few months ago.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
J.M. Davis is probably the best least known gun museum in America.  It's also one of the few that is all guns, all the time.  I've been more times than I have fingers and would go again at the drop of a hat.

Wool-o-roc is just a mind blower.  They have so much interesting stuff to see, gun and otherwise, I usually recommend people try to plan a multiple day trip if possible to see it all.  Sure you can zip through it in a day but you'll miss a lot.  

You got me missing those two places and I've only left the state a few months ago.
View Quote

I lived in OK for a year as a boy in the late 70s.  I went back to visit a couple of times in the mid-90s, and then it was 2016 before I visited again, but I have been able to make at least one visit a year since then.  

I lived in Tulsa, but most of my visits these days take me to the Shawnee area or are driving through on I-40.  I'm hoping to visit the panhandle soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: I did have some Braum's though.
View Quote

Are you saying there's no Braums in GA??? Ack!! That means no gingerbread ice cream at Christmas!!! That's it.....I'm moving back!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you saying there's no Braums in GA??? Ack!! That means no gingerbread ice cream at Christmas!!! That's it.....I'm moving back!
View Quote

Braum's dairy and processing plant are in OK.  All of their stores are within a radius that allows the delivery drivers to make their runs and be home with their families each evening.  Springfield, MO, and Dallas are as far out as they go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I will miss their gingerbread ice cream.  That stuff is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will miss their gingerbread ice cream.  That stuff is amazing.
View Quote
I'm a peanut buttercup fan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a must see, but if you need to kill an hour on the Marietta square there's a gun room upstairs in the Marietta History Museum between the square and the railroad tracks.  And if you happen to be staying at Barnsley Gardens (hoping you're there for the Sporting Clays), the old homestead has a room downstairs with some Civil War era guns.  I doubt many visitors even know it's there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome, thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top