Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2020 7:23:09 AM EDT
I've had a 5500 watt Kawasaki generator for the past 30+ years I bought for my business and now it's time to replace. I had it tided into my house so I only need a gas unit. While the 55k did what I needed it to do when power was out, need something closer to 7k. Not looking for anything cheap. Costco, Christmas tree shop or job lot no won't do it. Just a good unit. However, have seen a few Honda's with issues as well.

Hurry, storms a comin'

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I got tired of consumer grade 3600rpm gasoline generators. I went with a diesel military surplus mep-802a

It’s bulky and sits on its own trailer, but I have the space for it, it sips a half gallon of fuel an hour at its max rating of 7250 watts

Other than something along those lines, I’d recommend a Honda generator, I did generator service for 15 years and they had the lowest amount of issues, mostly pertaining to improper storage
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a powerhorse electric start from northerntool.
clean, runs all my electronics, which my old honda wouldnt. starts, reliable, no complaints at all.

their northstar brand is their top teir, with honda motors. id go that route if you have the extra cash, but the powerhorse with the same genny head as the northstar (i believe, its all the same specs), is hard to beat.  

had it delivered to my HVAC supply house to avoid lift gate charges with shipping.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It's all based on budget.
For infrequent storm use, any 3,600 rpm big box gen will get it done.

For longevity? 1,800 rpm diesel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Generac GP7500E. I only use it if I lose power. It did a great job when I had a 10 day outage. It burned about .5 gallons per hour running my house.

When I was buying a generator I wanted to run my house with a little load management. I have electric heat pump water heater, electric dryer and electric stove. With some load management it did a terrific job running the house and electronics.

I had a couple other requirements.

1. I wanted a unit I could buy parts for. Some of the cheap brands are buy it and toss it if it breaks or you are on your own trying to retrofit a part to get it working.

2. I wanted electric start. My wife has a bad shoulder and can't pull start an engine anymore.

I also picked up a surplus military generator. MEP-002A. It is an air cooled 2 cylinder diesel engine that can runs on diesel. I have yet to use it for an outage but I got it running and have tested it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Like my Costco dual fuel 7-11 gene...  When it gives me problems it goes back for a new one.

Their company their rules.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I fucked up and put off installation of my generator until it was a bit late.  Between the big storm and covid, electricians are really backed up.  In addition to that, the generator manufacturers are out of product as they rely on numerous parts suppliers, some of which are closed since the pandemic.

I have a 20kw Kohler on order with an automatic transfer box.  The company does everything from pulling the permits, to building the pad and installing the gen set.  It's not looking good for this year.  As an alternative, I'm borrowing a Honda 6500 from my brother.  I hope I need neither of them but we lose power here if you sneeze too hard.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it true that the Kohler generator has a lockout code on the diagnostic display, which you can’t have access to unless you attend their 2 day, $1,200 tuition class?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an old Generac 5500 unit I bought from BJ's in 1996 and it ran the whole house with load management (no hot water heater).  I replaced it with a Generac GP6500 (8K peak) a few years ago.  We had a couple 7-10 day power outages and it was awesome!  We ran it 24/7 only shutting it off to change the oil every 72 hours (refilled fuel while running every 8 hours)...

My main power concern is a 1HP well pump.  I have a propane stove and dryer, oil furnace.  I ran the whole house including washer, dryer, dishwasher (not at the same time) for a week.  Never tried the added hot water heater to the mix - not important to me.

Only regret with the Generac was I didn't get electric start
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't trust anything or anyone, so I have two generators.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am with you. I have a generator and a second one in case that one fails.

My plan is to have the military surplus generator in a small shed. Since I heat with oil it makes sense to me to have a diesel generator for long term outages.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta have a backup in case the road salt gets the other one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Gotta have a backup in case the road salt gets the other one.
View Quote

Road salt is for retarded pussies who can't drive.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see you can still get cranked up ya ol coot!
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have any experience with the ones Harbor Freight sells?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am sure they will work- just loud and inefficient.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who knows for how long......?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And who knows for how long......?
View Quote

Harbor freight would not be my go to for a prolonged emergency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top