Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
8/16/2022 4:37:09 PM
Posted: 7/5/2022 1:26:16 PM EDT
I'm contemplating some property just South of Commerce making Greenville the closest "big city".
Hoping to get some general thoughts on the area from anyone living there.

THX.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good area, property values have skyrocketed there
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
Good area, property values have skyrocketed there
View Quote

Yea, I can attest to the property values jumping.  
THX for the feedback.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up in that area. Great place, the panic buying of homes and land has infected everywhere, even the small little towns further out east of Greenville.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
I grew up in that area. Great place, the panic buying of homes and land has infected everywhere, even the small little towns further out east of Greenville.
View Quote

THX for the feedback.

I am going to look at the property tomorrow.  We shall see......
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Try and get far enough east to get out of the black clay soil. Your house foundation will thank you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher] [#6]
Depending on how far south you may not be too far from Sulphur Springs.
Commerce is a college town and had gotten rather "rough" in the last 10 years or so.
Hunt county politics bears watching, the Good Old Boy system is still in effect there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have driven thru there 100's of times..in 15 years living in Paris.

Greenville has all you could need, Baylor is the affiliate to the hospital there and lots of Baylor doc's office there.

Commerce is a college town and south of town, to me, looks like college professor territory.. be prepared for uber liberal neighbors
Commerce Aggies should be a sister school to Grambling.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
I have driven thru there 100's of times..in 15 years living in Paris.

Greenville has all you could need, Baylor is the affiliate to the hospital there and lots of Baylor doc's office there.

Commerce is a college town and south of town, to me, looks like college professor territory.. be prepared for uber liberal neighbors
Commerce Aggies should be a sister school to Grambling.
View Quote

Less than 30% of the 20,000+ enrollment there is black. However, it is a suitcase school. The majority of the students commute and do not live in Commerce or on campus. It's been that way since the early 70s. They do play up the minority enrollment in all of their publications it's not the fact in reality. I graduated from there in 1978 and my wife (as a commuter) got her degree there in the early 90s. While they are part of the A&M system (who put in some much-needed money to the school) they are still East Texas State at heart.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My high school girlfriend lived in Commerce (Campbell, actually). Every weekend of my senior year I drove to see her from my home in Lewisville.

We'd drive to Greenville to see a movie, eat at Taco Bueno, or get a cheap motel room when I had the cash.

Glad I could be of help

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the additional info.

House is about 5 min South of Commerce on a small CR and from what I saw on the drive it is all land owners.

I drove around Commerce and really liked the feel of it.  And Greenville is only about 15 min away if I need to go to "big city".

We will see how all this plays out but if it works hello personal gun range.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome new neighbor
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
I graduated from there in 1978  
View Quote

My uncle graduated around that timeframe.  Went to work for LTV at Majors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top