Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2019 12:04:07 PM EDT
I'm trying to find info on my grandmother, in particular a birth record. According to the Declaration of Intention and Petition for Naturalization by my great grandfather, she was born in Old Rainey, PA and resided in Mammoth. He lived in Standard and the other 4 siblings were born in Standard, PA. I've found Standard and Standard Shaft which appear to be the same, Mammoth is close by. The only thing that I can find remotely close to Old Rainey is Ramey, PA and it's a solid 2 hours away. Nothing shows up on Google Maps. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a bump in the road or village once called Old Rainey.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Google Rainey Coal and Coke Company, they were a large mining company in Fayette County.  I could envision one of their company towns being called Old Rainey...    God Luck....  Just a guess...
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've lived in Fayette Co my entire life and never heard of it. There are a shitload of coal patches around here. I'll ask around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It's really odd. I've tried various variations. I found the Rainey coal company info. He was Polish so maybe there was a language issue. I've contacted the church that is associated with the cemetery where he and his wife buried. They are going to see if they can find birth and baptism records. I checked the the Westmoreland Co. birth records and can't find anything consistent with the 5 children's first names and the any variations of the last name.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Try US census records for the county, township etc.  She may show up as "child" on parents census data.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
An update. As it turns out there was a 'coal patch' community named Acme outside of Mt Pleasant above Moreland where there were 261 coke ovens owned by W J Rainey. This was the Old Rainey Place. There were company homes and probably a store. The community doesn't exist anymore. Across the highway is a Polish Catholic cemetery where my great grandmother is buried. My Polish great grandfather was a miner. Given that info it affirms that the info is correct. I'm hoping I can dig up some info in Acme ( there is a town named Acme but it's not the same) and maybe some land deed info, list of miners employed etc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160101192906/http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com:80/acme.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I'm familiar with Acme. The current Acme is right outside of Mt Pleasant. Just a short distance east on SR31. The county line runs through it so parts are in Fayette and Westmoreland Countys. There are dozens of coal patches mixed all through there. A couple that still exist are Standard, Standard Shaft, Bridgeport and Laurelville. Drive around when there are no leaves on the trees and you can still see Coke ovens everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top