Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2010 8:54:43 PM EDT
I want to take a moment and gauge some interest on a Tactical Medical Course in the area, sometime in mid to late summer. The course will be taught by a current 18D (Special Forces Medical Sergeant) with 7 recent combat deployments as such.

I do not want to go into great detail as to what the course will entail, as it is has not fully been disclosed to me at this time. It will, however, comprehensively cover assessment and treatment of gunshot wounds, the basics of combat lifesaving, ABC (Airway, Breathing, Circulation) assessment/ treatment, conducting medical assessment/treatment in a hostile enviornment, as well as in low light (with and without visible light / NVG).

This class will offer intimate coverage of the course material, with a focus towards one on one instruction to ensure competent and confident understanding and comprehension for the student.

This course will run $200, will run 2 days, and is limited to 15 participants. Included in the course fee will be a complete individual "blow out"  kit, including the essentials for treating emergency gunshot trauma (this alone will be at least an $80 - $100 value). This is an extremely reasonably priced course for this subject matter, for this duration, and by an instructor of this level .

Those of us that train put a tremendous amount of focus on attending classes on using our weapon systems, but rarely is enough focus given to being able to treat gunshot trauma, be it in a hostile situation or a range accident. I'm a firm believer that if you carry a gun for defense, you need to have the proper skills to adequately and appropriately assess and treat gunshot wounds, be it for self aid or that of a friend.

I'd like to know who'd be interested in attending? I appreciate supportive comments, and they are certainly welcome; but what I'm looking for is feedback from at least 15 indviduals who would put themselves between 90 and 100% certain they would attend.

I will update once we've recieved adequate feedback to schedule a date, and will instruct participants on how to sign up as well as provide a more complete course overview.

Thanks, and I hope to see some of you there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
When you say area, can you define that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I forget this isn't just the KC area forum :)

It would be somewhere in the Kansas City area.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Need to know WHEN and WHERE so that I can PLAN, but would be interested.

I would like to know who the instructor is, and a few other tidbits, e-mail me if you can.
Since I would likely have to arrange for time off.

I could probably account for a couple more serious end users with some additional information.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta pin down dates soon because I'm on the other side of the state, but I'm very interested in this type of training.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
May be interested depending on dates and such......price is very reasonable IMO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested.   Let me know when dates are set.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I know two or three that would be in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]
you already have me on the list I'm sure, but just for the formal record, IN

:)
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm interested, but the date will determine if I can participate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in regardless of date, I've wanted to do something like this for a LONG time. Count me as 1
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm interested, but the date will determine if I can participate.

+1

I'm out as that is the weekend for Manchester United....
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
also interested.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#14]
very very interested!!!!!!  Let us know a date do I can hopefully see if I can make it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Very interested as well
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested.  Like some of the others would need to know a date.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Im in!
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to see the interest.

Class date will be 24 - 25 JULY. Enrollment is open to the first 15 paid students. Cut off will be 01 JULY. Payment needs to be recieved by that date. Please contact me for information on where to send payment.

Location, again, will be in the Greater Kansas City area.  

Site location, course overview, TOI, and additional information will be provided with your enrollment packet via email.

If you have any questions, please feel free to IM or email me.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI, this is starting to fill up. Out of 15 openings there are only 8 left.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
(edited)

i asked you to stop your childish sarcasm some time ago and promised that if you continued you would be gone. You continued.........and you are gone!   EdSr
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Just saw the date - can't make it so consider this a bump
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Sign me up Glen, I sent IM and E-Mail but got no response.
You should have my E-mail
Let me know.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
AFSOC, didn't get anything. I'll touch base with you.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
AFSOC, didn't get anything. I'll touch base with you.

Cool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
would be interested.  will this be an actual cert with CEU's?
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Interested too, when the firm dates are announced I'll be able
to determine my attendance.

Thank you for making this available!

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interested too, when the firm dates are announced I'll be able
to determine my attendance.

Thank you for making this available!

myitinaw, thanks for your interest. Date and details are listed on pg 1. 24-25JULY.

Also, Wump, good question on the certification. My experience is that getting it approved is an easy thing to do, especially considering the source of the curriculum. I know of depts that have had their Tac Med curriculum state-approved simply because it was a carbon copy of what the Army National Guard taught.  The big question is whether we will have time to have this curriculum submited and state approved for accreditation prior to enrollment cut off. The best answer I have right now is I don't know.

I know that some depts will retroactively accredit the hours if the curriculum is state approved within a certain timeframe following the course;  we do plan to submit it for approval, and I don't anticipate it being rejected.

Again, thanks for the inquiry.

ETA: Wump, I misinterpreted your post. This will most likely not be eligible for CEUs, but as mentioned above we do plan to submit it for state approval for LEO participants.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in.  Will email you directly soon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Nevermind. I saw the dates.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
For anyone interested, this is filling up fast. If you are considering attending, please get in contact with me ASAP to make arrangements. I don't know when he'll be back out here to teach another course.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For anyone interested, this is filling up fast. If you are considering attending, please get in contact with me ASAP to make arrangements. I don't know when he'll be back out here to teach another course.

Money Order En Route First thing in the AM when I can get to the PO....
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
...my payment went out today.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Yeah.. I can't attend. I'll be in VietNam then...

Hopefully another course will be offered post July.

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a heads up - we are down to just a few slots left. I expect this class to be filled within the week. Last chance to get in if you are considering it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I just finished My EMT-B course put on by MAST and am very interested in attending or assisting. I however am very short on cash right now :( please e-mail me if there are any slots open still, or if there will be another class soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#37]
TTT for a buddy.....I can't make it that weekend, dangit!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I HIGHLY recommend this course for EVERYONE who plays with guns, be it as a Civvy, LEO or .mil (though they sorta do already get this training).  

Sooner or later you're going to be near someone who develops a sudden gushing hole in them be it from a gun shot, a MVA, a building falling on them, gas pipe explosion, planes flying into buildings, etc, etc, etc.  It may even be you who develops the hole.  IMO It would be nice to know how to plug those holes and stop the massive bleeding until time as better medical care can be reached.  Exsanguination (bleeding out) can take as little as a minute.  How far away do you think any seriously qualified medical help is from you at any point in time?

Travis is an EXCELLENT instructor who is highly qualified and very easy to learn from.  He speaks in easy to understand, no-BS terms that even I can understand.

ETA:  BTW, The new hotness is CBA instead of the old ABC.  

^ This, AND, This is EXCELLENT instruction at TWICE the price and INVALUABLE when you really do need it and don't got it.
When the guy next to you at the range suddenly develops a leak, knowing what kind of bleed and how to stop it is a valuable tool!
Running around screaming that he is going to die doesn't help anyone!
Think about the place you generally go shooting and were the nearest hospital/EMS is going to be,
Generally for me it is 45 minutes, Life Flight will shave 10-15 minutes off that because they need to spin up and get en route..
AND they are NOT going to land at YOUR behest they need an LZ laid out and a request from a bus or cop that Life Flight is needed.
When SECONDS count HELP is only MINUTES away. Sometimes up to an hour. If you can stop the leak then DO IT, if you can't then you can stand there and watch a friend bleed out because YOU didn't know what to do.

I am planning to bring Travis back for another class in the area, probably in a few months when he has time.
Get a kit, learn how to properly use it and maybe have the joy of a life saved amongst all the life taking training!
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I HIGHLY recommend this course for EVERYONE who plays with guns, be it as a Civvy, LEO or .mil (though they sorta do already get this training).  

Sooner or later you're going to be near someone who develops a sudden gushing hole in them be it from a gun shot, a MVA, a building falling on them, gas pipe explosion, planes flying into buildings, etc, etc, etc.  It may even be you who develops the hole.  IMO It would be nice to know how to plug those holes and stop the massive bleeding until time as better medical care can be reached.  Exsanguination (bleeding out) can take as little as a minute.  How far away do you think any seriously qualified medical help is from you at any point in time?

Travis is an EXCELLENT instructor who is highly qualified and very easy to learn from.  He speaks in easy to understand, no-BS terms that even I can understand.

^ This, AND, This is EXCELLENT instruction at TWICE the price and INVALUABLE when you really do need it and don't got it.
When the guy next to you at the range suddenly develops a leak, knowing what kind of bleed and how to stop it is a valuable tool!
Think about the place you generally go shooting and were the nearest hospital/EMS is going to be,
Generally for me it is 45 minutes, Life Flight will shave 10-15 minutes off that because they need to spin up and get en route..
AND they are NOT going to land at YOUR behest they need an LZ laid out and a request from a bus or cop that Life Flight is needed.
When SECONDS count HELP is only MINUTES away. Sometimes up to an hour. If you can stop the leak then DO IT, if you can't then you can stand there and watch a friend bleed out because YOU didn't know what to do.

I am planning to bring Travis back for another class in the area, probably in a few months when he has time.
Get a kit, learn how to properly use it and maybe have the joy of a life saved amongst all the life taking training!

any chance of coordinating a tactical class along with the tactical medical course on the St. Louis side of the state? How many days would that require?  

Just curious about this. I don't know if there'd be enough interest for both at once, but it might be easier to get a group together if there was shooting AND plugging.

tag for pics.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Plans for another one yet?  I would love to take one in the future.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any chance of coordinating a tactical class along with the tactical medical course on the St. Louis side of the state? How many days would that require?  

Just curious about this. I don't know if there'd be enough interest for both at once, but it might be easier to get a group together if there was shooting AND plugging.

tag for pics.

I am betting that it would be a LONG week...
Would probably have to have TWO weekends to get a Carbine/pistol tactical course as well as a two day combat medical course.
I will discuss with Travis at my earliest opportunity and see what we can get together. I don't want to step on Glenn's Toes either as he coordinated this one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Any chance of doing one this summer?  I can provide lodging & location in STL area.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I would join a 2011 class in the STL area.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for update.  There's a thread in GD on carbine courses.  So, I'm searching.  I know we talked last year about an HTF course with afsoc, but I don't think anything came of it.  But I will bump that thread if I can find it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump for update.  There's a thread in GD on carbine courses.  So, I'm searching.  I know we talked last year about an HTF course with afsoc, but I don't think anything came of it.  But I will bump that thread if I can find it.
View Quote

Just Starr a new one. We can figure something out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#49]
What about doing this course again, as well?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I would like to attend if you could put one together early in 2015.  Never too late to plan!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top