BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2019 12:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil_in_Seattle]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I guess we can feel safe for the moment no "assault weapons" bill is in there, even though the AG requested it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
Phil Fortunato introduced a bill requiring legislators to get training in any weapon they seek to regulate.
View Quote
HAHAHA!!! Thats fuckin awesome!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone yet have a GOOD, POLITE but FIRM letter written opposing all the bullshit that others can use as a starting point?

Talk first about the State Constitution, then about how only law abiding citizens would likely ever comply, statistics about how safe society and schools REALLY are, lack of effectiveness of ALL previous mag size limits and "assault weapons" bans, etc.?

This is what I wrote last year after the Feb 14 murders in Parkland:

Tonight I was upset to find that the legislature is abandoning its own rules and attempting to “pull a fast one” by passing gun control measures seemingly in in the middle of the night.

It is shameful that the Legislators making this gambit feel the citizens of our state should have laws passed in the late night hours, without due diligence and citizen feedback. This is especially disturbing when the legislation in question strives to attack a vital civil liberty.

In light of last week’s horrific school shooting in Florida, the emotional demand to “do something, do anything” may sound good, but in fact leads down a path of pointless or even harmful restrictions on the RIGHTS of Washingtonians while likely being completely ineffective in making our schools and children safer.  Unlike those in the mainstream media and the emotion-laden but fact-free people they plant in front of their cameras, I know that there is no simple black-and-white solution to the problem of violence in schools.  I know that the GUN is not responsible for the murder of 17 high schoolers.  Only the shooter is to blame.  Anyone who calls me, the NRA or other gun owners “complicit” in the murder of innocents is showing how thin is their own understanding of the world we live in.  
A focus on mental health, school security, eliminating the fallacy of “gun free zones” and eliminating the glorification of past mass murderers will all contribute far more to our security than blaming guns and law abiding citizens.  Rifles and the sub-set of “Assault Weapons” account for a TINY percentage of all homicides yet are the target of attempts to reduce “gun deaths”?

SB 6620 is NOT the right “something, anything”.  The failed SB 5444 was bad legislation before February 14 and it is still bad now, shamefully tacked on to a possibly useful school safety provision in SB 6620.  The gun control provisions are poorly written, including making simple GUN PARTS “Semiautomatic rifle or shotgun with tactical features” in their own right and subject to waiting periods and restrictions.  How do you plan to “register” a plastic pistol grip as a “Semiautomatic rifle or shotgun with tactical features” ?  You better have a plan because as written, the State Patrol and other Agencies will have to handle background checks on EVERY $10 AR-14 PISTOL GRIP SOLD IN THE STATE.  It also defines “Semiautomatic rifle or shotgun with tactical features” based purely on cosmetic features that that some people apparently find “evil” or “undesirable”.  Just say NO!

And this is what I had sent earlier in the year to my legislator:

I am writing today to you and to all of my Washington State legislators to urge you to OPPOSE any and all anti-gun legislation being considered in our great State. There are more than enough regulations on the books to handle any criminal misuse of firearms. Assault, murder and intimidation are already illegal. New laws will only be followed by those of us who already follow the law. Firearms and standard-capacity magazines (yes STANDARD capacity, as 15 to 30 rounds or more IS THE STANDARD for the most commonly owned firearms in the U.S.) are inanimate objects and are NOT the cause of crime or disgusting acts of violence--people are. Further, the so-call "assault weapon" is used in less than 1% of violent crime committed with a firearm. If your goal really is to reduce "gun violence" (an absurd term), look first to reducing the most common cause of death by firearm--suicide.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw this posted in the comments about the proposed bullshit in Oregon...

Let's do some CDC and FBI math on gun deaths:
Therewere 32,000 gun deaths in 2016.
60%were suicides-19,200
3% were accidents-960
4% were justified-1,280
33% were homicides-10,560
80% of those homicides were gang related-8,448
That leaves 1,712 people in a country with a population of 312 million.
You have a 0.00010256410256% chance of death by firearm.
If you are not part of a gang, don't commit a crime or plan to commit
suicide, you have a 0.0000085614102564% chance of death by firearm.
The CDC also noted that 4,400 kids committed suicide last year due to
bullying.
Guns are not the problem. Someone is lying in order to get elected.
So far, 11 teenagers a day die from texting and driving. 50,000 deaths
per year from heroin overdoses. We have laws against that, so how’s
that working our for you?

If the numbers are correct, that looks like a pretty good argument for "what problem?"

Rob
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#7]
Most of those politicians aren't interested in facts from us plebes. The argument has to carry weight with their peers to convince pressure them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the email I sent to the Senate Law and Justice Committee (?) members:

Honorable Senators:

As a fellow resident of Washington, I urge you to oppose all of the gun control bills being brought before the committee or the Legislature as a whole.  (SBs 5027, 5061, 5062, and 5072)

Washington Constitution Article I, Section 24
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be IMPAIRED, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

Please stand with law-abiding citizens in support of the Second Amendment and oppose this misguided gun control agenda.  Punishing law-abiding gun owners for the acts of criminals is flat out wrong and won’t solve any of the mental health and behavioral problems that we need to do something about.  Criminals, by definition, DO NOT OBEY LAWS.

The fact is, there are no crises facing us that will be solved or even improved by ANY of the proposed measures.  No criminal, or person with evil in his/her heart, would be hindered in any way by these proposals should they become law.  A useless and ineffective law is an unjust law.  The Federal 1994 “assault weapon” ban was ENTIRELY ineffective in reducing crime and was properly allowed to expire.  Magazine size limitations (I refuse to use the media’s term “high capacity” as most of the targeted magazine are STANDARD size at 15, 17, 20 and 30 rounds) have yet to save a life or prevent a crime.

I recently heard an analogy that seems to capture this:  Gun control is like trying to prevent drunk drivers from killing sober drivers by banning the sober drivers from driving.

Statistically, the use of rifles, shotguns and even “assault weapons” (a term made up by the media and others with little understanding of firearms) account for a TINY FRACTION of all violent crime. Schools are the safest place for our children despite a few horrendous, highly publicized attacks. Suicide claims the lives of far more youth. The CDCrecently noted that 4,400 kids committed suicide last year due to bullying. Approximately 11 teenagers a day die from texting and driving. 50,000 people die each year from heroin overdoses.  Seems clear to me that these issues are FAR MORE DESERVING of your attention, time and resources than restricting the rights of a law-abiding gun owners.

Again, please oppose all of the gun control bills being brought before your committee.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Phil, please check your IM
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top