Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2020 6:49:02 PM EDT
Due to the Governor banning gatherings of more than 10 people because of the corona virus, we have had to postpone the Spring Shoot. Since we have no way of knowing when the corona virus will subside, it is not possible to set a new date at this time. Hopefully we can sneak it in before the summer heat becomes obnoxious. If not, we may have to just put it off until we have the Fall Shoot sometime in October.

STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have finally set the date for the 2020 Spring Shoot. It will be on April the 4th this year. For those interested in helping, set up will be 4/3 and clean up will be 4/5. I don't have time right now to type out all the details on the Shoot, but suffice it to say, nothing will change from the previous Shoots that we've had out here. I will post my usual "wall-o-text" giving all the particulars of the event soonest, but I wanted to get the date posted ASAP.

Hope to see y'all out there!!!

The obligatory wall-o-text:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 2020 Spring Shoot:
The GA HTF Spring Shoot is open to ALL members of the HTF, their families, as well as friends. This has always been a family friendly function and we definitely encourage you to bring your wives and well behaved kids! The future of our sport rests in the hands of our youngsters, which is why the Angry Emu Range endeavors to promote a family atmosphere at these Shoots, as well as for any others days your family spends at the AER. When bringing non or new shooters to the event, we do ask that you keep a close eye on those you bring, to ensure they understand and follow all safety rules. We will be having a safety meeting at about 10:00 am with the Shoot scheduled to begin shortly thereafter. If at all possible, please be there for the safety meeting. We will require all participants, shooters and non shooters alike, to sign a release form before proceeding to the firing line. We will have a sign in table set up at the picnic area as you arrive for this purpose.

As usual, we will be providing a lunch. It is my understanding that we'll be having BBQ sandwiches, (and maybe some burgers and dogs too...) cole slaw, potato salad, chips, soft drinks, and whatever side dishes y'all may care to bring and share with the group. Lunch is generally served around 12:30 to 1:00ish, at which time the range will go cold. Please let us know how many will be in your party so that we will have plenty of food available for everyone. I'll be keeping a list, on this post, below.

The Angry Emu Range:
The AER is a private range built by, and for, the GA HTF. It is located south of Madison, about 7 miles from I-20, is easy to get to, and is accessible by autos as well as trucks. There are 5 sturdy rifle benches, as well as 3 prone platforms, with backstops at 100/150/200 yards. There is also a ~30'~ wide x 25 yard pistol berm. There are steel targets of various sizes located at all backstops and the pistol berm. Free camping is available, on site, with limited water and electricity, for those who care to spend time around the campfire Friday and/or Saturday nights. If camping ain't your bag, and you want to stay the night, there are numerous decent motels and hotels located a short distance away, at this exit on I-20. Here is a link to see pics & vids of the range. And for those who haven't been to the range before, here is a link to show you where it's located. Click on the satellite image to take you to Google maps.

WHAT TO BRING:
Shootin' irons. If it's legal, it's welcome. Full auto, suppressed, 50 cal., revolvers, pistols, Junior's .22 Chipmunk, or grandpa's old single shot shotgun. Oh, and ARs and AKs too! If you want to shoot it, or show it, bring it with you!
Ammo. Bring LOTS! This is an all day event, so there's no such thing as too much ammo!
Safety gear. Eye protection, ear protection, and chamber flags *for each weapon* are mandatory. Cheapie chamber flags can be home made from weed eater string. As long as anyone can tell at a glance, from your flag, that the chamber is empty, we're good.
Canopy, table, chairs. A 10'x10' canopy is all but a must, as there's little shade out there. It's also handy if it rains too. A folding table to put your shootin' irons on is very handy, and a chair to put your hind end on is all but a necessity too.
Water. It's generally pretty durn warm out there. Staying hydrated is definitely encouraged!
Camping gear. If you choose to camp out, we can accommodate anything from camping in your truck bed, to tents, to travel trailers, to mobile homes. For that matter we've had folks to camp out in hammocks too!
Adult beverages. Adult beverages are welcome in the picnic/campfire area, BUT ONLY AFTER YOU ARE DONE SHOOTING AND YOUR FIREARMS ARE STORED FOR THE NIGHT IN YOUR VEHICLE. Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX!!!

What does it cost to attend?
There are never any fees or dues to shoot at the Angry Emu Range. The AER is a private range that cannot be operated on a commercial basis. However, there are many costs involved in putting on an event like this. We have suggested in the past that each attendee donate $10 toward lunch, and $10 toward range maintenance when you sign in. In order to encourage families to attend we have suggested a $20 lunch, and $20 range donation, per family. We have found that at this rate we can generally cover our costs. There will be jars for the lunch and range $$$ located on the sign in table at the picnic area. If the amounts suggested will be a burden for you, no problem! We want you to attend!!! Come on out, have a great day, and no worries about the $$$. By the same token, if you've just won the lottery and have too much cash weighing down your pockets, we'd be glad for you to empty them into the donation jars.....

I'm sure that I'm leaving something out, so if you can figure out what it is, or have questions, sing out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ATTENDEES:  41 1/2

Emu
YaBoyKGTho
swampfoxoutdoors
Redwolf......................................... +4
Proto3........................................... +2
MisterTwo (~set-up~ & cleanup)
LoneWolf545................................. +1
chadjetlag...................................... +1
edman99
biometrician
corruptor
EKD................................................ +1
tok762...............….......................... +1
chadjetlag...................................... +1
ShakeyHead................................... +2  1\2
88formula...................................... +2
IHTFP08
FNGfromGA
RLuneyATL
Tanner.......................................... +1
Amish_Bill
IHTFP08....................................... +1
aluangxay..................................... +1
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Barring any unforeseen changes, I'm in!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I will be there have to check the calendar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Redwolf + 4
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
IN +1 or 2
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in for the shoot and clean up.  Depending on how work is going then, I may be able to make it to the setup day as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m down if I don’t have to work
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Hope to be there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Barring any catastrophic health issues or a zombie apocalypse I'm in!  I will try and make at least one of the additional setup/tear down days.  I'm looking forward to it- I've been shooting here a few times and it's been great!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
In!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.  I should be there and +1 with either wife or friend.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the first post for the obligatory wall-o-text, and let me know if I left anything out!

I think I have the attendee list up to date now. Let me know if I've missed you or your guests.

OK guys, 20 isn't bad, but I'd be happier to see the total closer to 50.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Not getting my subscribed thread updates. Weird
I'll be there, figure +1.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I will be +1 as well
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in + 2 and a baby. Will be the first time out, looks
like a pretty cool place. Had family that lived on the
lake near Greensboro. About how much farther east
is the range?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in + 2 and a baby. Will be the first time out, looks
like a pretty cool place. Had family that lived on the
lake near Greensboro. About how much farther east
is the range?
View Quote
We're actually quite a bit west of Greensboro. Click here to find the exact location. To go to Google maps, click on the satellite image on that page and it will let you zoom out so you can plan your drive. If you need directions you can IM me too.

I've put you on the list, glad y'all can make it out!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Even better, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I will ABSOLUTELY BE THERE !! This will be the first chance I will be meeting everyone and have been excited about this for a long time... wife and daughter will come also

thanks everyone!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I will ABSOLUTELY BE THERE !! This will be the first chance I will be meeting everyone and have been excited about this for a long time... wife and daughter will come also

thanks everyone!!!
View Quote
Glad you can make it! Even better that the family is coming too!!!

You're on the list. That puts us at 30 1/2. There's plenty of room for more!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#20]
This is awesome that you are (once again) doing this!

Unfortunately, my current plans have me out of town that weekend.

If anything changes, I will be there.  I'll let you know.

How's the range and road holding up?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is awesome that you are (once again) doing this!

Unfortunately, my current plans have me out of town that weekend.

If anything changes, I will be there.  I'll let you know.

How's the range and road holding up?
View Quote
Bummer! Wish you could make it. No offence, but I hope your plans change!!!

The road is still doing pretty well. Unfortunately, I think our supply of cheap gravel/sand has dried up. Redwolf said that the last time he went by there, it was all gone.  

Fingers crossed that you still might be able to make the Spring Shoot! Let us know if you can. Your spot is always held open!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Add me too. Barring work emergency, my weekends should be free.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Please add me barring any unforeseen events...Saturday only as I generally have to leave town on Sundays..
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool stuff! Got both of y'all added!

I'm still hoping to see as many as 50 folks, or so, out here!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I could use some range time - I'm IN!
(pending work calendar )
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ll be bringing +1 in the form of my daughter and camping overnight. Will have NV goodies with me too.

I’ll offer up a maxim 9 to shoot for anyone with 9mm ammo. G17 preloaded are easier and it don’t like steel case hard primers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Got y'all listed above, Amish_Bill & IHTFP08.

I think it's GREAT that you want to come and camp out here with your daughter, IHTFP08! The campfires are my favorite times out here. There's nothing like hanging out 'round a campfire. I grew up that way. My folks were big into camping. EVERYONE is invited to either, or BOTH, of the campfires on Fri. and Sat. nights!!!

Things are shaping up. I think RedWolf will be looking to do a workday soon. So if you've got some spare time, keep an eye out here....
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Having a work day at the range Saturday March 14.
See my separate thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#29]
aluangxay +1

Can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
aluangxay +1

Can't wait!
View Quote
Got you listed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Due to the corona virus shutdown, we have had several folks ask about whether or not we're going to cancel the Spring Shoot. I'm on the fence about it. In talking with RedWolf, we decided the best way to help us make the decision was to put up a poll. Please vote so that we can have your input as to how we should handle this situation. There's no reason to have it on 4/4 if over half the folks aren't going to show up anyway. Let us know what you think!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Due to the corona virus shutdown, we have had several folks ask about whether or not we're going to cancel the Spring Shoot. I'm on the fence about it. In talking with RedWolf, we decided the best way to help us make the decision was to put up a poll. Please vote so that we can have your input as to how we should handle this situation. There's no reason to have it on 4/4 if over half the folks aren't going to show up anyway. Let us know what you think!!!
View Quote
I voted for the original date, but I'm really sitting here with a "wait and see" attitude.  IMO, at this point there's not enough SOLID information about infection rates and the actual numbers of those seriously impacted (health only) to make a firm call at this point in time.  I can say assuming I am in good health and I don't feel that I've been exposed (and thus risk exposure for others) I would love to attend.  Also, with some changes (nixing the community lunch, etc.) and keeping "social distancing" in mind, we should be able to keep risk of exposure to a minimum.

That said, I think it would also be wise to look at a back-up date somewhere down the road and be prepared to make the final call on the Monday proceeding the event.  New information about transmission rates, infection rates, and case severity are coming to light on a daily basis.  These points of information are the things that should be used to judge the acceptable risk vs. the bit of panic / fear we are ALL feeling at this point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#33]
On Saturday my opinion was to keep the planned date. A lot has changed since then and I don't think things will be better by 4/4. This is going to be longer than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Only 14 votes so far? I kind of expected more than that.
Hoping that by bumping this back up, we can get a few more votes....
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I would postpone
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Voted to postpone
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, the company I work for just had our 2nd round of layoffs.  The first was just last Tuesday.  I'm still employed and likely will be until they close the doors, but we're all looking at a pretty big salary cut.  I'll still attend if employed and in good health, but the employed part of that is looking a bit sketchy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I was unsure of which way to vote. Either have it as planned or postpone, I plan on attending.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I would honestly postpone
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m still on for the original date. I’m working from home and my daughter is still pretty excited and counting the days.

Either way I was maybe gonna try and come up for a night even if it’s just the two of us.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’m still on for the original date. I’m working from home and my daughter is still pretty excited and counting the days.

Either way I was maybe gonna try and come up for a night even if it’s just the two of us.
View Quote

I'm thinking that we are likely leaning toward postponing the Shoot. However, if you'd like to come out and camp that weekend anyway, I'd be 1000% in favor of that!!! Let me know your thoughts and I'll do whatever I can to facilitate you and your daughter!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Due to the Governor banning gatherings of more than 10 people because of the corona virus, we have had to postpone the Spring Shoot. Since we have no way of knowing when the corona virus will subside, it is not possible to set a new date at this time. Hopefully we can sneak it in before the summer heat becomes obnoxious. If not, we may have to just put it off until we have the Fall Shoot sometime in October.

STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm thinking that we are likely leaning toward postponing the Shoot. However, if you'd like to come out and camp that weekend anyway, I'd be 1000% in favor of that!!! Let me know your thoughts and I'll do whatever I can to facilitate you and your daughter!
View Quote

Thank you very much for letting us come out. We had a great time, except for the ticks. Found another 10 or so on my daughters head when we got home. And thank you again for coming out and jumping my car. Too much automatic stuff on it I guess killed the battery.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you very much for letting us come out. We had a great time, except for the ticks. Found another 10 or so on my daughters head when we got home. And thank you again for coming out and jumping my car. Too much automatic stuff on it I guess killed the battery.
View Quote

I'm really glad y'all could come out for a camping/shooting trip. You're daughter is quite the trooper! I'm sorry that she found the mother load of ticks out here though!!!
I'd keep checking her over for the next couple of days just to make sure that you've found them all! Maybe it's time for me to get some more chickens, that's the best cure I know for tick infestations....

Anytime y'all want to come back out, I'd be more than happy to have you back for either a day trip or another camping trip!

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Any updates on a new date?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Are we still doing cleanup/ improvement days at the range? Now that I'm unemployed, I have some time
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are we still doing cleanup/ improvement days at the range? Now that I'm unemployed, I have some time
View Quote

I did some weed eating on May 25th around the benches and the 300yd prone stand.  I'm sure it needs it again and was actually thinking about going out there Saturday.   Some wood needs to be replaced on the targets in the middle of the range and also a few targets need to be hung again with fire hose or some other material.  I'll do what I can.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I did some weed eating on May 25th around the benches and the 300yd prone stand.  I'm sure it needs it again and was actually thinking about going out there Saturday.   Some wood needs to be replaced on the targets in the middle of the range and also a few targets need to be hung again with fire hose or some other material.  I'll do what I can.
View Quote
What time do you plan to be out there? I may be able to bring my weed eater and help out. Been so long since I've been there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What time do you plan to be out there? I may be able to bring my weed eater and help out. Been so long since I've been there.
View Quote

I usually try to arrive at 8am, bright and early.  I'm going to check zero on my Mk12 tomorrow after changing to rings.  I'll bring the weed eater as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top