Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 3:53:10 PM EDT
Recently moved near Pierre, and was glad to see the GFP range nearby. Unfortunately they have restrictions on .50 cal and full autos. Also do not allow night shooting, various other restrictions.

Does anyone know of a full auto friendly range anywhere close to Pierre?  

I have checked the list of ranges in SD and only found ones in Rapid City potentially which is over 2 hours away for me.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told (but haven’t independently researched it) that you can shoot on the National Grasslands. How close to Pierre are you?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The grasslands would be a reasonable distance. According to some quick googling, they allow prairie dog shooting out there. Not my ideal environment for FA though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Not very close to you, but there is a guy down by Wall into FA stuff. Named Deep Creek Outfitters. He puts on an annual fun gun also.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Sherman:
The grasslands would be a reasonable distance. According to some quick googling, they allow prairie dog shooting out there. Not my ideal environment for FA though.
View Quote

Prairie dogs only north of the Conata Basin, Which is pretty much means no hunting in the the area south of the badlands park.  There are quite a few huntable dog towns that can be hunted north of the bad lands.  As for target shooting in the grass lands it’s allowed, I shoot in them all the time.  I don’t believe there are restrictions on FA and .50 BMG.  Just be aware of livestock in the area.  Also if you intend to drive out into the grass lands stick to the marked trails.  Leaving the trails is a big no-no.  Trails are marked with with a four digit number on a small brown sign.  You can go through gates, just be sure to leave them as found.  We had a bunch of cattle get loose because people leave them open on the part we graze.

ETA all this applies to the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands near Wall and Philip.  Not sure if it translates to the other national grasslands around the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top