Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2018 4:28:16 PM EDT
Florida's Democrat Nikki Fried, the newly elected Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services wants to move the concealed weapons permit system from her agency to and have it palced under the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. But Marion Hammer, NRA's former President and current lobbyist wants to fight that and move it to the Department of Financial Services and have Florida's Republican Chief Financial Officer, Jimmy Patronis assume the responsibility of the permitting system.

Freid recently reiterated her stance and blasted the NRA in a series of tweets.

The Tampa Bay Times reported this week that Senate Democrats are drafting language to support Fried's proposal to move the program to the FDLE.

"Democratic state Sens. Lauren Book and Linda Stewart have drafted a bill proposing the Division of Licensing be moved from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement."

Originally the system was under the Department of State, but in 2002; that changed when the office went from an elected position to an appointed one. When Shall Issue concealed carry passed in 1987, it replaced the quagmire that was the original 67 county based permitting system. The NRA fought to have it placed under a duly elected position and not FDLE since at the time, the state police agency was known to be a political hotbed that didn't exactly favor civil liberties then just as it is today.

Personally, I would much rather have our CCW permit system be placed under Patronis than Freid. But in reality, the best way to resolve this would be to pass Constitutional Carry in Florida. But with Anti-Gun Republican Senate President Bill Galvano. I doubt that such a bill would ever reach Gov. DeSantis' desk.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If she cant handle the job she should step down!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I don't want FDLE anywhere near the CCW system.

Hopefully the new Gov does something to help with the situation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you give us some examples of how FDLE has not favored civil liberties?  NRA wanted to move CWFL to department of agriculture because they thought it was a safe office (with rural folks mainly voting).  That strategy worked great until it didn’t, I could see CFO not being a great place for CWFL in the future.  On paper, particularly in 2018 political climate it seems, short of constitunal carry, FDLE handling CWFL seems like the common sense department to be handling the issue...  And I know if that is my thought process, I can only imagine what your average joe on the street thinks, by constantly switching it to all these oddball departments it sure as hell does make the GOP appear to be “playing politics” with the issue, I can absolutely see this being a vulnerability in future elections, shifting a few “swing” voters in a state with a history of razor thin elections.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you give us some examples of how FDLE has not favored civil liberties?  NRA wanted to move CWFL to department of agriculture because they thought it was a safe office (with rural folks mainly voting).  That strategy worked great until it didn’t, I could see CFO not being a great place for CWFL in the future.  On paper, particularly in 2018 political climate it seems, short of constitunal carry, FDLE handling CWFL seems like the common sense department to be handling the issue...  And I know if that is my thought process, I can only imagine what your average joe on the street thinks, by constantly switching it to all these oddball departments it sure as hell does make the GOP appear to be “playing politics” with the issue, I can absolutely see this being a vulnerability in future elections, shifting a few “swing” voters in a state with a history of razor thin elections.
View Quote
FDLE doesn't want civilians to own guns, period. They will make it impossible to get a CCW.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Could you give us some examples of how FDLE has not favored civil liberties?  NRA wanted to move CWFL to department of agriculture because they thought it was a safe office (with rural folks mainly voting).  That strategy worked great until it didn't, I could see CFO not being a great place for CWFL in the future.  On paper, particularly in 2018 political climate it seems, short of constitunal carry, FDLE handling CWFL seems like the common sense department to be handling the issue...  And I know if that is my thought process, I can only imagine what your average joe on the street thinks, by constantly switching it to all these oddball departments it sure as hell does make the GOP appear to be "playing politics" with the issue, I can absolutely see this being a vulnerability in future elections, shifting a few "swing" voters in a state with a history of razor thin elections.
View Quote
FDLE is a very political agency. The head of the agency is not elected but appointed. They run the background system for gun purchases grudgingly. In the LE community, FDLE is known as Forget Doing Law Enforcement and are not held to a high regard.

It isn't a good thing in FL for such an agency to run CCWs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FDLE is a very political agency. The head of the agency is not elected but appointed. They run the background system for gun purchases grudgingly. In the LE community, FDLE is known as Forget Doing Law Enforcement and are not held to a high regard.

View Quote
And the new bitch running the Ag Dept knows exactly that. Hence the reason she wants to dump it into their hands.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I've often wondered why the Dept. of Agriculture has jurisdiction over CWL here in Florida.  I'm not convinced that handing it over to FDLE would be a bad move.  Someone explain??
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've often wondered why the Dept. of Agriculture has jurisdiction over CWL here in Florida.  I'm not convinced that handing it over to FDLE would be a bad move.  Someone explain??
View Quote
Non elected bureaucrats that view the Constitution as a roadblock to their work in charge of CCWs is bad.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd sure like to see the manifesto/playbook that Fried and the rest of the DummieCrats have been indoctrinated with in order that I/We may prepare for the future infringements coming our way.

Thank God DeSantis is governor and not Gillum.  Can you imagine the free for all if that would have happened.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If she's not comfortable managing the CWL process why did she run for that office? That should be the question.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Who was in charge in 1986 when we became shall issue?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who was in charge in 1986 when we became shall issue?
View Quote
In 1986 it was still done county level. 1987 is when Shall Issue happened and it was assigned to the Secretary of State who oversaw the Department of State. The issue was, in 2002 the office of the Secretary of State went from a Constitutionally elected office to a politically appointed one when the State Constitution was again revised by the Constitutional Revision Commission back in 1998. Which by the way happens every 20 years. The last CRC just fucked with the Constitution again and gave us all the cluster fucks you saw this past election like banning vaping and off shore drilling.

Anyways, so in 2002, it was moved to the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services under the Agriculture Commissioner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
My other concern with FDLE handling permits is time and resources.  If people who are not in LE understand the existing backlog and limitations that FDLE puts on their labs for evidence processing, they really would slow the permit process down.  Dept of Ag really has streamlined the process, got local offices involved and got the times down.  The fact that she wants to transfer what is a relatively successful operation that she knew would be hers if she was elected, says a lot about her mindset.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can damn sure give you an answer, and a quick one at that in terms of bias....................Way, back, shortly after FDLE was formed one of it's first moves was an attempt to forbid the possession of automatic weapons by ANYONE...........other than themselves..........To my recollection the proposal, that went utterly no place, did not even provide for such items to be held by other LEO agencies....

No way, shape or form do I want any LEO agency involved in the oversight of a Constitutional Right!................and Damned sure not one that aspires to more and more centralized power!

And by the way, I'm a retired LEO/CLEO!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If she's not comfortable managing the CWL process why did she run for that office? That should be the question.
View Quote
I certainly am not speaking from her corner, but odd as it may seem the Department of Agriculture is involved in other business beside the issuance of the CWL process.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dept. of Agriculture and   Commercial Services.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consumers Services, not Commercial.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#18]
......and licensing.

They're also responsible for ensuring gasoline pumps are properly calibrated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I think as bad as it sounds the best bet is to leave the CWL process under Fried for the next 4yrs. Yes she can make it tough for a few years but in 4yrs we will have a strong possibility of getting rid of her if she pisses off enough CWL holders by making the process a huge PITA.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think as bad as it sounds the best bet is to leave the CWL process under Fried for the next 4yrs. Yes she can make it tough for a few years but in 4yrs we will have a strong possibility of getting rid of her if she pisses off enough CWL holders by making the process a huge PITA.
View Quote
I agree.

She wants it moved to law enforcement because she (rightly) believes it's a step towards registration and further regulation.

It should be left as is and The NRA should involve itself in actually advancing our gun rights rather than obliging a democratic party commissioner of agriculture who wants to play games with licensing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
One must admit the Dept. of Agriculture has done an excellent job of processing the permits.  Why fix what's not broken?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One must admit the Dept. of Agriculture has done an excellent job of processing the permits.  Why fix what's not broken?
View Quote
That's the new commissioner's true goal; to introduce difficulties into the licensing process which has been perfected and is currently run smoothly and professionally.

The existing proficient staff, offices, and the necessary equipment are currently all in place at DOA, and Fried's true goal, is to introduce difficulties, delays, and chaos.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can damn sure give you an answer, and a quick one at that in terms of bias....................Way, back, shortly after FDLE was formed one of it's first moves was an attempt to forbid the possession of automatic weapons by ANYONE...........other than themselves..........To my recollection the proposal, that went utterly no place, did not even provide for such items to be held by other LEO agencies....

No way, shape or form do I want any LEO agency involved in the oversight of a Constitutional Right!................and Damned sure not one that aspires to more and more centralized power!

And by the way, I'm a retired LEO/CLEO!!!
View Quote
Thank you, I have my first 2 transferable MGs on form 4s right now, you just completely sold me on why FDLE is a bad idea.  I had no idea about any of this, sadly, I doubt our elected officials are well versed on this issue as well.  This needs to be fought.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
My renewal experience today reflects this to a tee...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Those were great, he was in charge when I first moved to Florida.  I thought to myself, how cool is it my concealed carry is signed by Charles Bronson, “gunshine state.”
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#27]
It seems to me that if a "Bill" is being drafted then the Florida legislature has to approve. Since the republicans control both houses should we be worried? Just asking?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It seems to me that if a "Bill" is being drafted then the Florida legislature has to approve. Since the republicans control both houses should we be worried? Just asking?
View Quote
With Bill Galvano running the senate and people like Anitere Flores in the senate?  I’d say a bill loving it to FDLE is likely to leave the senate, Ron DeSantis is unlikely to sign it.  The question is, can they over ride his veto?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
With Bill Galvani running the senate and people like Anitere Flores in the senate?  I'd say a bill loving it to FDLE is likely to leave the senate, Ron DeSantis is unlikely to sign it.  The question is, can they over ride his veto?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Bill Galvani running the senate and people like Anitere Flores in the senate?  I'd say a bill loving it to FDLE is likely to leave the senate, Ron DeSantis is unlikely to sign it.  The question is, can they over ride his veto?
Not signing and vetoing are two different things. If DeSantis simply doesn't sign it, it becomes law after fifteen days.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Keep the FDLE far away from the CCW permit system!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not signing and vetoing are two different things. If DeSantis simply doesn't sign it, it becomes law after fifteen days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a feeling the felon voting right has permanently turned FL blue, that we will not see DeSantis or many of the republicans re-elected and that those who are in office should do what they can to help preserve the rights that we have without compromise as I don't think minor appeasement will improve anyone's chances of remaining in office.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a feeling the felon voting right has permanently turned FL blue, that we will not see DeSantis or many of the republicans re-elected and that those who are in office should do what they can to help preserve the rights that we have without compromise as I don't think minor appeasement will improve anyone's chances of remaining in office.
View Quote
I agree, but unfortunately the track record of many republicans is that if they think the electorate is split, or moving left, they will also move that way thinking they will get those votes.  They fail to realize that Dems will never vote for them and conservatives likely won't show up.  Once a politician is elected they spend the rest of their term trying to get re-elected, so they listen to strategists.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think it was more the medical marijuana constitutional amendment that will turn it blue. While I have nothing against it, it does tend to bring in some undesirable people on both the supply and demand end of things. You'll have a lot of people pushing for recreational use next.

Other than that single issue I can't think of any rational reason that the state elected Nikki Fried while all the other offices went to Republicans. Her only qualification was that she was a lobbyist for the medical marijuana industry. Tbh I still don't see how her election was even possible.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
......and licensing.

View Quote
And it's not just CCW. They manage PIs, security guards, etc.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
......and licensing.

View Quote
And commercial scales for business or manufacturing (what little there is) in this state that makes it's sales with items by weight.

We have two state certified scales at the facility I work at. Same stickers that gas pumps have are stuck on them and the state man comes out periodically, unannounced to check them for accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's blue now.... south of Marion County. We just bought 4 more years of borrowed time before a "blue" individual is voted in. Thanks to south of marion county.

#twofloridas #seperation
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I can see Fried getting her way and getting out of the CCW process while afterwards, Marion "our bills weren't defeated, they just didnt make it all the way through the legislative process" Hammer does her victory strut because it doesn't go to FDLE.

The process is working exceptionally smoothly and it needs to remain exactly where it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe she said she would use her office as an anti-gun platform. So it naturally follows that she would purposefully push for the CCW services to be degraded by handing it over to FDLE. As far as she is concerned CCW could go away tomorrow and she would be fine with it doing so.

I don't even consider someone like her to be a democrat. Just a leftists doing what she has been trained to do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Other than that single issue I can't think of any rational reason that the state elected Nikki Fried while all the other offices went to Republicans. Her only qualification was that she was a lobbyist for the medical marijuana industry. Tbh I still don't see how her election was even possible.
View Quote
I believe a republican originally won the office then...………

"The Democrat from Miami narrowly defeated state Rep. Matt Caldwell by 6,753 votes after a manual recount."

-The Ledger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top