Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2018 1:54:27 PM EDT
My wife has been reading about how many earthquakes have been happening in KS and how it's supposedly related to fracking. She thinks it's driving down property values. I personally don't think they would really matter, but I guess you guys are there and can give me first hand perspective.

Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife has been reading about how many earthquakes have been happening in KS and how it's supposedly related to fracking. She thinks it's driving down property values. I personally don't think they would really matter, but I guess you guys are there and can give me first hand perspective.

Thanks gents.
View Quote
I'm in the NE part of the state in Overland Park.  Its not an issue at all here.  Property values are nutty and houses sell within a couple of days.  My realtor checks in with me regularly seeing if I want to sell my house because there are way more buyers than sellers.  Most of the stuff is in OK.  Some people have felt tremors here, but i am in the insurance business and we haven't ever had an EQ related claim
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There's fracking happening literally less than a mile from my home (south Johnson County). No impact on property values. The market is so hot here houses in my subdivision are being listed and sold in no more than 10 days.

Is fracking causing earthquakes? Maybe. Seems to be supporting evidence on both sides of the question. I'll let you know since I'm at ground zero with all this fracking happening around me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't affect property values since the money is in farmland but in south central KS (SW of Wichita) and north central OK earthquakes are a weekly occurrence.  I was born in that area and my folks and family are also from the area and no one remembers any earthquakes going back to the 50's.

They are so frequent and the area unprepared the county courthouse had over $1million in damage three years ago.

rockin and rolling

EAT>> It's not so much the fracking exactly but the discharge wells.  They've limited the number and depth of wells and the number of quakes have gone down, not saying they are related, just two things that happen to be going on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Lately they are leaning towards the deep-injection or wastewater disposal wells as a big contributor to the seismic activity.  All that leftover frack water is sent back down an abandoned or disposal well under extreme pressure.  They have been having a lot of quakes around the Hutchinson area for a while.  When I am back there visiting family I feel one on occasion.  More than I ever did when I was a kid!  There is a ton of them in north central Oklahoma.  Never knew it was having an affect on property values though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lately they are leaning towards the deep-injection or wastewater disposal wells as a big contributor to the seismic activity.  All that leftover frack water is sent back down an abandoned or disposal well under extreme pressure.  They have been having a lot of quakes around the Hutchinson area for a while.  When I am back there visiting family I feel one on occasion.  More than I ever did when I was a kid!  There is a ton of them in north central Oklahoma.  Never knew it was having an affect on property values though.
View Quote
I had a talk about all of this with my dad, who just retired as Chief Geologist for a large company after decades spent there.  He said the fracking thing is fracking BS regarding the quakes.  Haven't talked to him about the disposal part of it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top