Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2021 6:11:22 AM EDT
Section 8 coming to the Columbus north side

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/columbus-business-first/former-alrosa-nightclub-will-become-affordable-housing/

Columbus City Council passed legislation on Monday night to allow the site at 5055 Sinclair Road on the city’s north side to be rezoned. Cleveland-based developer NRP Group has plans to build a $38 million, 180-unit apartment complex there.
View Quote

City staff had recommended disapproval of the rezoning because the area plan for that location was an “employment center” use, like office or industrial uses or uses that create jobs. But Councilwoman Priscilla Tyson, who chairs the zoning committee, said the plan adds housing for those making between 30% and 60% of the area median income, something lacking in Columbus.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch. We really need to clean up Columbus before it overtakes Cleveland as Ohio's bastard child.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
$38,000,000 / 180 units =  $211,111 per unit - FFS! why not just build them a 1200 sq ft house to rent?
With a rent of $1,000/mo (this sounds high based upon the "housing for those making between 30% and 60% of the area median income'' value they quote in the article), it would take 211 months to recover their investment, excluding interest and building maintenance.
211 mo / 12 mo per year = 17 yrs
Add in interest, building repairs and maint, management expenses, taxes, etc... and I bet that gets you out past 23(maybe?) years.

How are these projects financially feasible?
Hint: I already suspect some sort of local/state/fed govt grants are involved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch. We really need to clean up Columbus before it overtakes Cleveland as Ohio's bastard child.
View Quote
If you build shitty $700/no apts, people will keep working shitty-$700/mo-apt-affording jobs.
If they have to find a better job to afford a $1200/mo apt, wouldn't the city actually be better off?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Section 8 or 'affordable housing' is only more affordable for those renting, it IS profitable for those owning/controlling the buildings because the tax payers do the paying. And much like non-profits and charities don't think that those owners/controllers don't make hefty profits off the tax payers. But hey if this is an 'employment center' then the residents can walk to WORK.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my section 8 tenants.  Mailbox money for the win.

Was hesitant to start with section 8, but figured, heck, I'm paying already, might as well get some of that back.  Screen well and they're good to go.

That being said, NIMBY
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah more crime on morse rd and easton
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like my section 8 tenants.  Mailbox money for the win.

Was hesitant to start with section 8, but figured, heck, I'm paying already, might as well get some of that back.  Screen well and they're good to go.

That being said, NIMBY
View Quote

Privatize profits and externalize costs, that's the American way
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hookers coming to your corner soon...
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Area will be a crime infested slum in no time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you build shitty $700/no apts, people will keep working shitty-$700/mo-apt-affording jobs.
If they have to find a better job to afford a $1200/mo apt, wouldn't the city actually be better off?
View Quote

I suppose your math checks out. I did not bother to do the math and focused on the Cleveland based group building them. I made the assumption that it would be 'affordable' housing.

(joking here) you are saying that people will apply themselves for a 1200/mo job? I have little faith. Can't even get a chipotle burrito down here in Cinci because they never have enough staff! (that last part is true, happened yesterday)

ETA: said the plan adds housing for those making between 30% and 60% of the area median income, something lacking in Columbus. I have to wonder why this is lacking? That percentage makes it seem like the targeted group would be lower-middle/middle class. Should that not be the majority in a bell style curve? Further edit... is it saying there is no housing for the people in those percentages? A little hard to believe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW I live in a neighborhood close to a public housing property that they rebuilt in Cleveland.  It has been a night and day difference from when the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority ran it.  They tore down all of the buildings and built new ones that look a lot nicer.  The property is now mixed with units going for market value (whatever that means), assisted rents, and paid for rents (I think).  I have heard that they have a zero tolerance policy toward violence and drugs with their tenants and it shows.  You used to have to drive slalom style to avoid the hookers and drug-dealers in the road at night in the old days.  No more. They keep the buildings and surrounding areas looking good too.

I get it, in my case the projects were already there and this made them better.  I can see how you guys in the area may be concerned about a new project coming in but at least these guys seem to be pretty good operators.  I'm sure that there are still problems there from time to time but it has been a lot better since they took over.  Hopefully they will run this one like they run the one in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW I live in a neighborhood close to a public housing property that they rebuilt in Cleveland.  It has been a night and day difference from when the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority ran it.  They tore down all of the buildings and built new ones that look a lot nicer.  The property is now mixed with units going for market value (whatever that means), assisted rents, and paid for rents (I think).  I have heard that they have a zero tolerance policy toward violence and drugs with their tenants and it shows.  You used to have to drive slalom style to avoid the hookers and drug-dealers in the road at night in the old days.  No more. They keep the buildings and surrounding areas looking good too.

I get it, in my case the projects were already there and this made them better.  I can see how you guys in the area may be concerned about a new project coming in but at least these guys seem to be pretty good operators.  I'm sure that there are still problems there from time to time but it has been a lot better since they took over.  Hopefully they will run this one like they run the one in my neighborhood.
View Quote

I would personally think that privatized anything would be better than government run. Leisure had a good point with the math though. Basically no room for over head(unless there is some grants involved, how do you win?). Our situation with Over the Rhine down here in Cinci was different. People came in and made million dollar apartments. I think there was some affordable living spaces there, but it became more hipster-ish and basically allowed doctors to have nice housing near the hospital. Now the caveat of that was it drove the slums into the outer skirts. Didn't make a very big change, but enough that people noticed. I think that is the worries of plans like these. If you kick out shit heads from one place, they just move on to the next place that they will tear up and get kicked out of. Fancy housing will not solve the cultural problem, let alone some discipline.

Of course I could be over thinking it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would personally think that privatized anything would be better than government run. Leisure had a good point with the math though. Basically no room for over head(unless there is some grants involved, how do you win?). Our situation with Over the Rhine down here in Cinci was different. People came in and made million dollar apartments. I think there was some affordable living spaces there, but it became more hipster-ish and basically allowed doctors to have nice housing near the hospital. Now the caveat of that was it drove the slums into the outer skirts. Didn't make a very big change, but enough that people noticed. I think that is the worries of plans like these. If you kick out shit heads from one place, they just move on to the next place that they will tear up and get kicked out of. Fancy housing will not solve the cultural problem, let alone some discipline.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that you're right and we've definitely seen our share of that in CLE as well.  Some of the inner-city neighborhoods become popular and trendy.  The folks get displaced to other areas and continue their life-path there.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think that you're right and we've definitely seen our share of that in CLE as well.  Some of the inner-city neighborhoods become popular and trendy.  The folks get displaced to other areas and continue their life-path there.  
View Quote

Ready for some tin foil? It came to me while mowing. What if the elections proved that the state is red(more red than people thought, esp in the 2020 election). So, make an area for hipsters/rich to fill inner cities... drive the hood outside like we talked about, that way middle class which is usually red, try to go to indiana, kentucky or somewhere surrounding. This would be nice for dems to start gerrymandering the state to make it more blue in areas that have been hard to take over. AKA all of the zones outside the 3 big cities. Then onto smaller like toledo, akron, dayton etc.

That would be some shit if that is the plan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure the new apartment construction, subsidized or not, all around Columbus going on right now is being done with the best of intentions without a single thought given to the political consequences.  Uh huh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
They should name the new complex Dimebag Estates.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good, now we can get rid of the graffiti rock that has been there since the day Dime Bag got shot.
View Quote

Went by today on my way to the supply house.   Has a fresh coat of paint on the rock
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Privatize profits and externalize costs, that's the American way
View Quote

I'm paying already, one way or another.  I have no qualms doing what I can, when I can, to get some of that money back and deny it from being used in ways I dont agree with.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would have been at that concert if any of my buddies would have been off work.  I didn’t want to go by myself so I stayed home.
View Quote

I was in Middle school. Dad said that was the only reason we did not go. Considering He is the reason I play to this day, might have fucked me up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because it’s going to be subsidized rent.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#25]
they should have razed the Ramada Inn there at 71/Sinclair and built the apartments there.

The Alrosa site is pretty small for a 180 apartment complex.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top