Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2019 5:34:22 PM EDT
My local FFL did all the paperwork for me, gave me what I needed to give as notification to CLEO, all prepared to send with adress to the attorney generals office as they are listed as being acceptable as a notifying agency. He also mentioned I’ll probably get it back with a letter stating they don’t accept these and it must be the local police chief or sheriff, which is why he included a copy of “who may qualify as a certifying official on an atf form 1 or atf form 4 for the making or transfer of an NFA firearm” with the portion of state attorneys general highlighted (see first pic for copy of this)

Well I did receive it back today with the letter (see 2nd pic below) .

So do, or should I still have to give it to my local police chief, or does it suffice that the attorneys generals office is listed even though letter says they are not authorized in making determinations on this?? Hope my wall of text isn’t to confusing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a notification, not a request.  It sounds like the AG's office is confused.  There's a number there, call him.  Educate him.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is a notification, not a request.  It sounds like the AG's office is confused.  There's a number there, call him.  Educate him.
View Quote
Thats what I was thinking also, not like you hear back from the chief either. As long as they received it it’s considered good to go at that point is my understanding.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What he gave you from the ATF clearly states that the AG has been accepted in specific situations, and spells out in the first sentences who should be handling this.  Your FFL needs to get his shit together.
View Quote
That’s the part that had me kinda wondering. But it is a notification now and they are still listed so??

As to your first reply, this is my first time doing this so being that I’m not all that familiar with the whole process and ffl did say expect to get it back with a letter which is also why he highlighted them as being acceptable, I figured since they’ve done this before and haven’t seemingly had an issue what’s the worry. Now I’m just making sure. No need to get all upset about what I did or didn’t do in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just playing the devil’s advocate here, but doesn’t the law simply state that you’re supposed to ‘notify’ the CLEO?  It looks to me like you’ve notified the MN AG that you are acquiring an NFA item. They didn’t acknowledge the notification, but what has been seen cannot be unseen.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. All my NFA items were acquired when I lived in GA long ago, and the rules have changed a bit since I’ve done it last.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
No need to call anyone, he's already complied with the law by sending the notification. Whether or not the AG's office accepts the notice or not is completely immaterial.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your FFL is making this needlessly complicated for people who either don't know or don't care to learn the ins and outside of doing themselves.   Much like everything with the ATF, no one seemingly has issues until they have lots of issues, and this is an FFL issue that they're having the kindness to (potentially) pass on to their customers.

This is the first I've heard of any FFL doing this; it's absolutely not normal practice for Form 4s and is accomplishing nothing beyond, at best, creating confusion.  At worst, this guy has done God knows how many transfers that don't stand up to ATF requirements, and for what?

If you want to play the technicality game with the ATF, do it with your own business on the line -- not your customers.  That's the only thing I'm anything resembling "upset" about.   My initial comment was intended to say nothing beyond questioning why he advised you to do this instead of what everyone else does.

*shrug*

Not an NFAB employee.
View Quote
Thank you for clarification, I definitely agree how this can be confusing as it is for me now, and where the sheet stating who qualifies says in "specific situations...", we don't know what those are, so is this still considered then as notification that is honored as the AG is listed, or not, I certainly don't know, some are saying it's good to go still. I wish we could actually find out what's valid in notification or not besides the local chief or sheriff's, and what is the specific situations exactly. I tried to google for MN form 4 list of approved agencies for notification, maybe my google searching is weak but I found nothing to further clarify anything. Also the letter from the AG back to me says it needs to be "approved" when we know it does not anymore, but that's a different subject also.

I have no problem sending another copy to my local chief, I assume I will have to make some changes on the forms I will hand to them then, correct?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No need to call anyone, he's already complied with the law by sending the notification. Whether or not the AG's office accepts the notice or not is completely immaterial.
View Quote
Are you positive on this? Since it does say in specific situation's on the first pic posted on who qualify's etc.

I'd like to be able to know for sure so that if in fact this is not correct I can let my FFl know, so that they don't get their peepee slapped, it's a good FFL up here so I'd hate to see them get into trouble for this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/chief-law-enforcement-officer-required-sign-law-enforcement-certification-atf-form-1-or

The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor.
I believe the bold to indicate that a State Attorney General is considered to be a chief law enforcement officer for the purposes of ATF rules on notification. The person notified is also not required to respond to or even to accept the notification after 41F.  If you do decide that you need to change the person you notified then you need to re-file (or amend your filing of) your application as you indicate who you notified in the application in section 12.

Quoted:Are you positive on this? Since it does say in specific situation's on the first pic posted on who qualify's etc.

I'd like to be able to know for sure so that if in fact this is not correct I can let my FFl know, so that they don't get their peepee slapped, it's a good FFL up here so I'd hate to see them get into trouble for this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had to call NFA branch this morning anyway, and asked about this.  The person I deal with didn't have an answer, but I'm waiting to hear back from the guy she asked.
View Quote
Will definitely be interesting to hear what they say. If at all possible to get it in writing would be better.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The simplest way to do this....
If you call 911 who shows up to answer the LE needs?
Local Police? Then send it to them.  Just like if your want a permit to purchase permit.
Sheriff's Office?  Even though you live in say Chanhassen (Carver County SO contracts police service) it would be the Sheriff's office then.

Any one sending to other places is wasting their time and the agency to which you send it too. DUMB!

I think that language is left over from when there were alternatives to getting a Form 1 or Form 4 signed off when the law did require local sign off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The Q&A hasn't changed because the list hasn't changed. Anyone on that list is acceptable as the CLEO. You have notified one of them and your work is done.
When I did a form 4 through Silencer Shop they sent it to the head of the Department of Public Safety.

Since there is no requirement to prove you sent it and no requirement for any agency to maintain them it's a pointless rule.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had to call NFA branch this morning anyway, and asked about this.  The person I deal with didn't have an answer, but I'm waiting to hear back from the guy she asked.
View Quote
If it's not in writing the answer you get is meaningless. The biggest issue with the whole NFA game is that every person in the agency has their own idea of what it all means.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
You may find this info helpful, @kmcale.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You may find this info helpful, @kmcale.
View Quote
Beautiful. Thank you!

This post cleared up some things for me. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this, very useful information here! Even a larger plus that the OP is from MN member
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#23]
In the "old" days people had to circumvent the CLEO signature if the COP wouldn't sign off, then Sheriff, States Attorney, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I forgot we had the  General NFA questions section in armory, went searching over there and found a couple threads similar to this thread, some of them stated that they have sent it to their respective state's AG, also I saw a couple people say that going through silencer shop, silencer shop had sent it to that state's AG as well.

I am now satisfied with having the AG notified, any further Form 4's I do will also be sent to the AG for notification purposes, especially since ours is a POS in so many way's.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#25]
As stated above, when I did a form 4 through Silencer Shop they sent it to the head of the Department of Public Safety in St. Paul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top