Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 10:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: codycoyote]
1) No you can not carry and concealed weapon.
   1a. Exception = Unless you are a LEO, but please be aware that in Cook County and the City of Chicago the corrupt liberal run government may, or may not recognize your legal right to do so.

2) Illinois does not have an Assault Weapon Ban, so regular capacity magazines are acceptable.

3) No NFA items are allowable to own in Illinois, except AOW guns. If you want to travel into IL with an AOW do some more research.

4) Weapons need to be unloaded and in a case. Loaded magazines may be in the case with the firearm, but may not be inserted into the mag well.
  4a. Although legally you could have these firearms cases on your lap while you drive, it may be wise to have the cases in an inaccessible region of your vehicle while traveling. If an out of stater is pulled over with firearms do you think you will get more police officer attention if they are in the passenger seat or in the trunk? Use your own common sense.

I am not a lawyer, although there are some good ones in this forum. Hopefully this post will keep the ILHTF folks from answering the same questions again and again every week.

Please feel free to post additions, corrections, and suggestions. These are basic laws as I understand them, if you are arrested for breaking an Il firearm law it is not my or AR15.com's fault.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nighthawk08] [#1]

4) Weapons need to be unloaded and in a case. Loaded magazines may be in the case with the firearm, but may not be inserted into the mag well.
4a. Although legally you could have these firearms cases on your lap while you drive, it may be wise to have the cases in an unacceptable region of your vehicle while traveling. If an out of stater is pulled over with firearms do you think you will get more police officer attention if they are in the passenger seat or in the trunk? Use your own common sense.

Change to inaccessible.  Glad you put that part in there.  Least amount of attention drawn to yourself is best.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Nighthawk08: snip  

But spell check said I was good to go!

Thanks Nighthawk!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

2) Illinois does not have an Assault Weapon Ban, so regular capacity magazines are acceptable.

THANK YOU, I hate it when people think we cant have them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Id like to add that this thread i kinda meant to be a working project and then eventually when the IL HTF mods see this as being as good as its going to get they can copy/paste in into their own thread to tack.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:30:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#6]
2nd Draft

1) No you can not carry a concealed weapon, and Illinois does not honor CCW from any other state.
   1a. Exception = Unless you are a LEO, but please be aware that in Cook County and the City of Chicago the corrupt liberal run government may, or may not recognize your legal right to do so.

2) Illinois does not have an so called "Assault Weapon Ban", so regular capacity magazines are acceptable.

3) No NFA items are allowed to be owned by non-SOT FFL's in Illinois, except AOW guns. If you want to travel into IL with an AOW do some more research.

4a. Although legally you could have these firearms cases on your lap while you drive, it may be wise to have the cases in an inaccessible region of your vehicle while traveling. If an out of stater is pulled over with firearms do you think you will get more police officer attention if they are in the passenger seat or in the trunk? Use your own common sense.

5) Only permanent Illinois residents can obtain or need a FOID card. If you change your drivers license to live in Il, then you need a FOID.

Per the Illinois Compiled Statutes

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) through (3) snipped.

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
       (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
       (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

I am not a lawyer, although there are some good ones in this forum. Hopefully this post will keep the ILHTF folks from answering the same questions again and again every week. Please feel free to post additions, corrections, and suggestions. These are basic laws as I understand them, if you are arrested for breaking an Il firearm law it is not my or AR15.com's fault.

ETA: Hows this looking?
ETA2: Thanks Tango for your help!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango7] [#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree....
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]

3) No NFA items are allowable to own in Illinois, except AOW guns. If you want to travel into IL with an AOW do some more research.

I do believe that you can transport a registered NFA weapon through Il, but Illinois cannot be your destination with that weapon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I know one can carry on his property but I was wondering what you all thoughts are on carrying while on tractor/farm machinery while on your private land. I was wondering if that would be considered a "vehicle" and get you in hot water.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By P08:

I do believe that you can transport a registered NFA weapon through Il, but Illinois cannot be your destination with that weapon.

Ive heard that when traveling through states sometimes NFA guys talk about permits/papers to travel through. Do you know any more about that?

NFA/Title II arms legalities are something I know little about
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#13]

Originally Posted By ragsbo:
I know one can carry on his property but I was wondering what you all thoughts are on carrying while on tractor/farm machinery while on your private land. I was wondering if that would be considered a "vehicle" and get you in hot water.

No you can open carry on your property as much as you would like, in any vehicle you want, but in town if one is open carrying Im sure the police would be called and you could get charged with disturbing the piece or something, depending on the officer.

ETA: this isnt probably going to be asked by travelers though our state so I think it should be left out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Ive heard that when traveling through states sometimes NFA guys talk about permits/papers to travel through. Do you know any more about that?

NFA/Title II arms legalities are something I know little about

Regular people (non SOT's) have to notify the NFA branch if they are going to take their gun across state lines.This has to be done well in advance as approval is required. You must always have your transfer papers with you showing the legal status of the MG, SBR etc and who the owner is. As a SOT I can go anywhere I please and don't have to bother telling anyone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#15]
3rd Draft
1) No you can not carry a concealed weapon, and Illinois does not honor CCW from any other state.

2) Illinois does not have an so called "Assault Weapon Ban", so regular capacity magazines are acceptable.

3) No NFA items are allowed to be owned by non-SOT FFL's in Illinois, except AOW guns. If you want to travel into IL with an AOW do some more research.

5) Only permanent Illinois residents can obtain or need a FOID card. If you change your drivers license to live in Il, then you need a FOID.

6) Traveling with NFA weapons: Non SOT's must notify the NFA branch, get approval from said branch, and carry your NFA papers with the firearm when crossing state lines into Illinois. No restrictions on travel exist for SOT's. When out of staters are in Illinois with NFA items, Illinois can not be your destination. You can not stop off for a few days to sightsee, keep moving through the state.

Per the Illinois Compiled Statutes

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) through (3) snipped.

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
       (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
       (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

I am not a lawyer, although there are some good ones in this forum. Hopefully this post will keep the ILHTF folks from answering the same questions again and again every week. Please feel free to post additions, corrections, and suggestions. These are basic laws as I understand them, if you are arrested for breaking an Il firearm law it is not my or AR15.com's fault.

*Thank you P08 for this added information!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Kalahad, you should clarify that with the NFA Illinois cannot be your destination. Therefore if someone is heading to Knob Creek, but wants to stop off to see the Lincoln sites for a day or two, don't get caught with a MG.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Kalahad, you should clarify that with the NFA Illinois cannot be your destination. Therefore if someone is heading to Knob Creek, but wants to stop off to see the Lincoln sites for a day or two, don't get caught with a MG.

edited in, thank you again.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I will be flying into the Quad Cities airport and staying in a hotel by southpark mall, but will spend most of my day on the Davenport side.  I will be there for 7 days, is there any legal problem with having my 226 in Illinois for a definite period of time since I wont be just traveling through?
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By nf9648:
I will be flying into the Quad Cities airport and staying in a hotel by southpark mall, but will spend most of my day on the Davenport side.  I will be there for 7 days, is there any legal problem with having my 226 in Illinois for a definite period of time since I wont be just traveling through?

No problem as long as you don't go through O Hare. As far as I know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I guess thats it....maybe a mod could incorporate it into some of the info up at the top of the forum. Thanks for everyones help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By codycoyote:

Well I guess thats it....maybe a mod could incorporate it into some of the info up at the top of the forum. Thanks for everyones help.

I made a resource for it, and If you need it updated, just shoot me or Roadhawk and IM and we will update the page.

Sweet, thanks Cody. Maybe it will cut down on all the questions of travelers.

Link Posted: 9/10/2008 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By nf9648:

No problem as long as you don't go through O Hare. As far as I know.

Not going through Ohare, but will be hopping through LAX, probably bringing an AR as well.  Looking like Honolulu - LAX - Denver - Moline and the same stops on the way home.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Just changed the itinerary again and will be flying from Honolulu to Atlanta, to Moline; and staying in Davenport.  The only time my guns will be in Illinois now is when I am going to and from the airport, thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 9:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phorvick] [#25]
Regular people (non SOT's) have to notify the NFA branch if they are going to take their gun across state lines.This has to be done well in advance as approval is required. You must always have your transfer papers with you showing the legal status of the MG, SBR etc and who the owner is. As a SOT I can go anywhere I please and don't have to bother telling anyone.

My understanding is that you can FAX your request to the NFA and they will FAX back...typically the same day.  Further, if your gun is a C&R and you are a C&R license holder, you are allowed to possess that C&R gun in any jurisdiction that it is legal.  Meaning....if I go to ND from MN to shoot at a local range, I do not need to notify the NFA as my C&R gun is legal in ND (and of course in MN also).

Here is the specific info from the ATF website:
--
(M21) Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Thought we can only have Non-shotgun based AOW's
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By blend708:

No, I think its the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#28]

So we can have shotgun based AOW's? I always wanted a Serbu shorty!
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#29]

So we can have shotgun based AOW's? I always wanted a Serbu shorty!

Yeah, I think a member here owns one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 11:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: puskrat] [#30]
1. Tango...EXCELLENT catch on the "AW" ban

2. phorvick...It's not my thread, but I think K-kid meant this to address Illinois law, and as I see it, Gov. Baloneybitch don't give a good God damn about the NFA rules.

3, and finally, Kalahnakid...wonderful job on this.  I do have a suggestion...could we just have Chicago be corrupt, rather than liberal?  First, there is a liberal somewhere who isn't anti-gun, and also, although you may think it semantics, the American left is, by definition, illiberal.  A liberal would say "sure do what you want."  Liberal does, as commonly used, mean what you meant it to mean, so I won't be offended if my suggestion isn't included.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By puskrat:
1. Tango...EXCELLENT catch on the "AW" ban

2. phorvick...It's not my thread, but I think K-kid meant this to address Illinois law, and as I see it, Gov. Baloneybitch don't give a good God damn about the NFA rules.

3, and finally, Kalahnakid...wonderful job on this.  I do have a suggestion...could we just have Chicago be corrupt, rather than liberal?  First, there is a liberal somewhere who isn't anti-gun, and also, although you may think it semantics, the American left is, by definition, illiberal.  A liberal would say "sure do what you want."  Liberal does, as commonly used, mean what you meant it to mean, so I won't be offended if my suggestion isn't included.

I see what you mean Pusk, and thank you for the suggestion.

Its already at the top of the forum, if a mod sees fit to take your suggestion and change it then thats fine but its out of my hands now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Maybe a small disclaimer about crook county AWB. You can travel threw, but it cant be your destination.

Link Posted: 9/16/2008 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Good post, thank you.

I plan on traveling through Illinois from Wisconsin to NC before the end of the year. I think I'm safe with everything in cases sitting locked up in the back of the Avalanche. I'll also be transporting several thousand rounds of ammo in the same space. I hope I don't get searched.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I would add to this thread:

It is not necessary to inform police officers at a traffic stop that you have firearms in your vehicle.

Some state require they CCW holders to notify LEO's of firearms in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to bump an old thread but since the last reply was in 2008, I was wondering if these laws are all still current?

I am from Ohio and have an Ohio CCW.  I am driving through Illinois on my way to Missouri on Saturday.  I am planning on bringing my handgun with me on the trip.  Before getting into Illinois, I plan to put the handgun in a lock box with the magazine out of the gun but still in the same lock box and putting the lock box in my trunk.  Just wanted to make sure I would be OK doing this in your state.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#36]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d1b3:
Sorry to bump an old thread but since the last reply was in 2008, I was wondering if these laws are all still current?

I am from Ohio and have an Ohio CCW.  I am driving through Illinois on my way to Missouri on Saturday.  I am planning on bringing my handgun with me on the trip.  Before getting into Illinois, I plan to put the handgun in a lock box with the magazine out of the gun but still in the same lock box and putting the lock box in my trunk.  Just wanted to make sure I would be OK doing this in your state.  Thanks.
View Quote
Things have changed.  There are proposed updates to this OP along with changes CCL brought.

If you have a home state CCL you are allowed to conceal carry while in your car. In container while leaving car but car console is a valid container.

Hope this helps.  Take a look and see if this answers your questions.  If not, feel free to post.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Traveling-with-a-Pistol--/23-625388/#i6893118
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Since this was resurrected I will add that Destructive Devices are legal in Illinois.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#38]
Since this was resurrected I will add that Destructive Devices are legal in Illinois.
View Quote
As are SBRs with a C&R license (eta no trust allowed)
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By InterestedBystander:

Things have changed.  There are proposed updates to this OP along with changes CCL brought.

If you have a home state CCL you are allowed to conceal carry while in your car. In container while leaving car but car console is a valid container.

Hope this helps.  Take a look and see if this answers your questions.  If not, feel free to post.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Traveling-with-a-Pistol--/23-625388/#i6893118
View Quote
Thank you for the info and have a happy 4th.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#40]
What if you are not just passing through, but have to stay in Chicago for a couple nights? Any options? I'm ok having a handgun and mags broken down, unloaded, and in the trunk, as I don't want to drive from KY, through IN, and be unarmed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Thank you. I am looking to see if Chicago/Cook County have any additional restrictions as I understand the IL state legislature does not have preemption on firearms regulations

I might just end up staying in Hammond, IN and taking an Uber to the Hilton in Chicago
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#43]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Thank you. I am looking to see if Chicago/Cook County have any additional restrictions as I understand the IL state legislature does not have preemption on firearms regulations

I might just end up staying in Hammond, IN and taking an Uber to the Hilton in Chicago
View Quote
I believe the state does have preemption on handguns and on "assault weapon" laws (only thosed passed within 10 days or earlier of CCL legislation are valid -  Deerfield park lawsuit).   Other municipalities do have laws on books e.g. Cook has a 10 rd mag limit, Chicago 15 rd, Chicago bans laser sights,  but they have not been challenged nor perhaps enforced unless as add on charges.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K13.1

(430 ILCS 65/13.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.1)

Sec. 13.1. Preemption.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in the Firearm Concealed Carry Act and subsections (b) and (c) of this Section, the provisions of any ordinance enacted by any municipality which requires registration or imposes greater restrictions or limitations on the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms than are imposed by this Act, are not invalidated or affected by this Act.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, that purports to regulate the possession or ownership of assault weapons in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, shall be invalid unless the ordinance or regulation is enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly. Any ordinance or regulation described in this subsection (c) enacted more than 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly is invalid. An ordinance enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly may be amended. The enactment or amendment of ordinances under this subsection (c) are subject to the submission requirements of Section 13.3. For the purposes of this subsection, "assault weapons" means firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the firearm into a definition of "assault weapon" under the ordinance.

(d) For the purposes of this Section, "handgun" has the meaning ascribed to it in Section 5 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

(e) This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Chicago muni code, firearms starting around 8-20
http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:chicago_il_m
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#44]
So it looks like I am ok with having an unloaded handgun in my trunk, while I am conducting business in Chicago.

I had cancelled my hotel reservation earlier (long story, not related to the gun stuff) and will probably be staying at a hotel/motel in the Hammond area. Hell would I be better off just hiring an uber to take me to and from Chicago? Parking at the hotel I have to be at for the event is near $70 a day. I may as well get an uber ($53 per trip)
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#45]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@d1b3  Things have changed a lot in 10 years.

See:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Proposed-update-to-IL-HTF-travellers-information-resource-page/23-619071/

You are GTG to simply continue carrying your loaded handgun while in your vehicle while in Illinois. Firearms must be out of public view (ie, concealed).

If you exit the vehicle, either leave the handgun in the vehicle, or else it has to be unloaded and in a case or some kind of container if you take it with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top