BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't read the law yet but if you lose your permit I guarantee sheriff investigators will be coming to your house looking to make sure you get rid of your pistols.
View Quote

@aimless

I think there was a less than 15%(and I think it was less than 10 actually) recertification rate. Half the people I know didn't even know it was a thing. So my idea is in place already they just aren't talking about it. I know tons of people who have never done it. So now it's doubly secretly illegal? Show me on my card where it expires.

Article from a couple years ago
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@aimless

I think there was a less than 15%(and I think it was less than 10 actually) recertification rate. Half the people I know didn't even know it was a thing. So my idea is in place already they just aren't talking about it. I know tons of people who have never done it. So now it's doubly secretly illegal? Show me on my card where it expires.

Article from a couple years ago
View Quote

The counties will be tasked with reviewing all of their permits. You can bet they'll be focusing on deceased permit holders who've slipped through the cracks as well as people who didn't send their recert paperwork to the state. I have no doubt that the state is hellbent now on weeding out as many permit holders as they possibly can. They haven't trusted the counties to maintain accurate records, which is why they adopted this whole recertification thing a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1 and while 16 hours of classroom is a bit excessive, I don't disagree with a good half day course including handling and firing a real handgun.  There are many who get a permit that don't know how to use it and seek zero training.

I can imagine it will be difficult for a non-experienced gun owner trying to qualify with a snub nose or LCP.

If and when I have to take the class, I will be qualifying with my Ruger standard 22LR, the most accurate handgun I own.

I am sure it will soon be found that there is no possible way even with training programs and ranges running every day of the week for the next year that they will be able to train and qualify every NYS pistol permit holder.  Many issuing authorities can't even keep up with new applications how the hell are they going to get this figured out...  Time will tell...

View Quote

Not everyone who get a Licenses has any intent on carrying at all; there are those simply want to own a Handgun, perhaps want to Hunt or like to shoot, there are a myriad of reasons besides "self defense"  
The entire system should be scrapped and if someone wants a Licenses to carry it should be granted the same as most every other State.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not everyone who get a Licenses has any intent on carrying at all; there are those simply want to own a Handgun, perhaps want to Hunt or like to shoot, there are a myriad of reasons besides "self defense"  
The entire system should be scrapped and if someone wants a Licenses to carry it should be granted the same as most every other State.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 and while 16 hours of classroom is a bit excessive, I don't disagree with a good half day course including handling and firing a real handgun.  There are many who get a permit that don't know how to use it and seek zero training.

I can imagine it will be difficult for a non-experienced gun owner trying to qualify with a snub nose or LCP.

If and when I have to take the class, I will be qualifying with my Ruger standard 22LR, the most accurate handgun I own.

I am sure it will soon be found that there is no possible way even with training programs and ranges running every day of the week for the next year that they will be able to train and qualify every NYS pistol permit holder.  Many issuing authorities can't even keep up with new applications how the hell are they going to get this figured out...  Time will tell...

I don't disagree with you.  I have family that do just that.  I wonder how many folks in NY will just not bother like the recert.  Judges and counties are going to be put in a bad spot if they start revoking thousands of permits.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No live fire requirements in Tompkins
Some of my people from Cortland county tell me they initially get a restricted permit and can take a class to get the overstamp removed. Tompkins has refused to issue unrestricted permit since the mid 80swgen a CCW protected himself against muggers
View Quote

I've never heard of anybody in Cortland getting a restricted permit at least since like 2005 on. Depending on which class you take (there is several approved) they may have them do live fire, mine did.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You could legally "own" a handgun at 19 but you could not legally purchase one from a dealer.  I also received my permit at 19 and my first handgun was a NYPD Model 10 .38 Special gifted me by my Dad.  He picked it up off one of his cops that was retiring and didn't want his duty revolver anymore for the princely sum of $25.
View Quote
My dad has told me about the "18yo to get a permit, 21yo to buy from a dealer" bullshit they had to put up with back then. He bought my brother's revolver for him and sold it to him when my brother got his permit at 18.

My dad bought a S&W Model 17 from his uncle when he got his permit at 18. He has an unrestricted and said some Fudd gun shop owner tried to take his pistol away from him when he was 19 or 20, and told him he wasn't supposed to have a handgun and that it was illegal. I think he was holster shopping or something, and the guy asked to see the gun to see if it would fit, and also asked to see his permit. My dad threatened to call the cops on the guy and he gave him his gun back.

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got mine yesterday with no restrictions
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What County?
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What County?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What County?

Chautauqua
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet the 16 hour class ends up as an online course.
View Quote

"an applicant shall complete an in-person live firearms safety course"
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top