Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2020 8:16:26 PM EDT
I have a family trip in 3 weeks (assuming the pandemic doesn't change my plans) flying to Florida. Am considering bringing one of my carry guns (have MN and Florida permits). I've never flown with a firearm and ammo before. How much of a pain is it? From what I read on TSA's website all I have to do is make sure it is in a locked, hard case in my checked baggage and declared at the ticket counter. Any tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s not a big deal at all.  The ticket counter person will have you fill out and sign a card that says that it’s unloaded, and Then have you lock it inside the case.  Some of them will want to look in the case and then act like they know what they are looking at before letting you close it back up.  Like Puck said, lock the firearm case with non-TSA locks.  It doesn’t mean that TSA won’t cut your locks If they want to see what’s inside, but if they do, at least you’ll know it happened.

Be prepared to run into people at the airlines or TSA that don’t know the rules on this, but you probably won’t.  I’ve flown a lot with firearms, and while I’ve had some weird interactions with people, I’ve never had anything happen that I’d actually call a problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I always print and carry the Delta checked bag firearms guidelines just in case but the counter clerks are pretty knowledgeable and I haven't ever needed to explain anything.  Regarding, picking your luggage up from the Baggage Service Office and showing ID, I've never had to do this with a firearm that was inside of my regular checked bag.  I assume that only applies to long guns shipped in separate cases that look like gun cases.

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
•Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm
•Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter
•All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter
•Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
•Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case
•Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
•Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges
•You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website.

•If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit
•Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage
•Customer must be 18 years of age or older
•All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm

The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
•Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
•Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
•Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger

Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
•Pistol telescopes
•Noise suppressors
•A small pistol tool case
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
•One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools

•The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked
•Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
•One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
•One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always print and carry the Delta checked bag firearms guidelines just in case but the counter clerks are pretty knowledgeable and I haven't ever needed to explain anything.  Regarding, picking your luggage up from the Baggage Service Office and showing ID, I've never had to do this with a firearm that was inside of my regular checked bag.  I assume that only applies to long guns shipped in separate cases that look like gun cases.
View Quote
How recently have you flown with a gun? That has been Delta's procedure since shortly after that asshole shot up the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim. Your bags will be marked with a CAGPT tag (i.e. "steal me") and will not come down the carousel unless someone screws up. When you pick up your bag, it will be secured with a zip tie, either a huge one around the whole bag or, in the case of returning to MSP, just an inconspicuous one securing the zipper.

I actually like the procedure aside from the insulting and pointless zip tie nonsense, but that gets cut off and thrown in the trash before I even walk outside.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I declare it and usually transport my ammo in the box it came in from the factory (inside the case with the firearm) and have not had an issue.

Usually they have brought me to the oversized luggage scanner and I stand there while TSA x rays the bag.  That way if there is an issue I'm standing there with the keys.

Other times they just throw it on the conveyor with the rest of the luggage.  I've had airlines have put my phone number on a tag, and have been called by the airlines asking for the keys to the locked box inside the luggage so the TSA didn't have to cut them off.  It was a pain in the butt but it saved me the cost of a couple padlocks.

Lately someone has either delivered my luggage to me personally or when I flew delta, as someone mentioned i had to go get it from the Delta luggage office.  It has always been zip tied, sometimes with an good one, others with one that fell off as soon as I touched it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I declare it and usually transport my ammo in the box it came in from the factory (inside the case with the firearm) and have not had an issue.

Usually they have brought me to the oversized luggage scanner and I stand there while TSA x rays the bag.  That way if there is an issue I'm standing there with the keys.

Other times they just throw it on the conveyor with the rest of the luggage.  I've had airlines have put my phone number on a tag, and have been called by the airlines asking for the keys to the locked box inside the luggage so the TSA didn't have to cut them off.  It was a pain in the butt but it saved me the cost of a couple padlocks.

Lately someone has either delivered my luggage to me personally or when I flew delta, as someone mentioned i had to go get it from the Delta luggage office.  It has always been zip tied, sometimes with an good one, others with one that fell off as soon as I touched it.
View Quote
Depends on the airport. As you mentioned, MSP has a great setup. You should never surrender the keys. The whole point of the firearm being secured with non-TSA locks is that nobody is supposed to have access without you being there. Glad it worked out, but you should have immediately raised a stink and gotten a supervisor involved.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a GEGO luggage tracker that I activate and stick in my rifle case whenever I travel with it.  It’s great peace of mind, as it will tell me within a few feet exactly where it is.  Last year I flew to New Zealand and my rifle (and other luggage) got left behind in Dallas.  It made me feel good to look on the app and see that it was still sitting in the DFW airport, as opposed to showing up in some random neighborhood in Texas.  Of course if someone wanted to steal the rifle they could just toss the tracker, but it’s pretty inconspicuous and I don’t think many people would even know what it was among all the other crap in my case.  It makes everyone’s lives easier if you can show the airline people exactly where it is if it doesn’t show up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys. Am I understanding correctly that when I get to my destination (in Florida and then back at MSP) I'll need to pick up my checked bag at a designated location, not the carousel? Not sure if it matters but I'm flying Sun Country.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually that’s the case, but be ready for anything.  Bags containing firearms are supposed to be brought out and given to the owner after verifying their ID, but I’ve had my large, very obvious rifle case come bumping down the carousel as recently as November.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How recently have you flown with a gun? That has been Delta's procedure since shortly after that asshole shot up the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim. Your bags will be marked with a CAGPT tag (i.e. "steal me") and will not come down the carousel unless someone screws up. When you pick up your bag, it will be secured with a zip tie, either a huge one around the whole bag or, in the case of returning to MSP, just an inconspicuous one securing the zipper.

I actually like the procedure aside from the insulting and pointless zip tie nonsense, but that gets cut off and thrown in the trash before I even walk outside.
View Quote
A couple of months ago, flew MSP to PHX and my declared/checked bag was NOT marked with anything and it was on the belt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been flying AA from DFW to MSP weekly for the last 8 months.  I've traveled with all types of firearms (including NFA) and have never once had any problems.  MSP has their shit together and have had no push back from TSA.  Just declare and lock as previously mentioned.  Pay attention on how you package ammo (factory packaging or hard plastic re-load cases).  Zip lock bags are a no-go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top