Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 9:02:27 PM EDT
Has anyone flown out of Newark recently with a pistol?  Do you have to wait for them to call PAPD to check your papers before sending to the TSA like they do in NY?  I'm wondering how much extra time I need to give myself for check in.  Jetblue if it matters.
thx
Update.
Glad I left extra early.  I waited 1 and 1/2 hours to check in with JetBlue. They had 2 employees handling all the non self service check ins and baggage issues.  Once I got to the front of the line the check in was easy.  The women at counter just wanted to see the locked box inside my suitcase.  I didn’t have to open it.  She took me and my bag to the TSA and they scanned it and sent it in its way.  It came off with the other bags. No hassle other that the long wait which was unrelated to the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never flown with a gun out of Newark but there shouldn't be any need for anyone to check any "papers". No permits or paperwork is required to own a handgun in NJ.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never flown with a gun out of Newark but there shouldn't be any need for anyone to check any "papers". No permits or paperwork is required to own a handgun in NJ.
View Quote

No, but they ARE required if you take that same handgun outside the confines of your homes four walls...

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a few years ago and it was the worst experience I've had at an airport, I've flown out of AC, Vegas, Orlando, Tampa. Fort Lauderdale and even Logan was not a problem. No PAPD but it just took a while for TSA to check the luggage and I'm retired LEO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have flown from Newark to Ft. Lauderdale with a firearm. Simply tell the counter person you have an"item to declare", he/she will give you a form to fill out and sign.
Once you do this the agent will walk you to the secret TSA room where they will inspect the item. They asked me to unlock the pelican case so they could inspect the contents. Once this was done they put the item on a conveyor belt which is inside the same room.
Once in Ft. Lauderdale, I retrieved my case from the luggage belt.

That's it,  don't be intimidated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top