Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2020 5:01:09 PM EDT
I'm hosting a Florida Battle Buddies hike on Saturday, 22 February at 1:00pm at John S. Taylor Park in Largo, FL, 1100 8th Ave. S.W., Largo, FL 33770.  We'll hike two sections of the Pinellas Trail, a flat asphalt-paved trail about 15-20 feet wide for bikers, hikers, and runners.

Standards for American Battle Buddy rankings are here.  This hike will offer the 3 miles to qualify for the initial rating, Provisional, plus another optional 3 miles that will go towards the 3rd Class ranking's total of 18 miles hiked (3rd Class requires two 6-mile hikes plus enough extra miles to have a total of 18 miles hiked).

Open carry of firearms is not allowed in Florida except under narrow exceptions that will not apply to this hike. Therefore, leave the long guns at home and add 10lbs. to your ruck for a total weight in your ruck of 35lbs. not including water.  For the optional additional 3 miles to count towards 3rd Class rating, add another 10 lbs during that second march for 45lbs.  We'll go 1.5 miles out and 1.5 miles back before we do the second 3 miles, stopping at the vehicles for a quick gear check, so you can add weight from your vehicle after the first 3 miles if you don't want to carry 45lbs. the entire time.

Dress for the weather.  Daytime high is expected to be 72 degrees, partly cloudy.

More details to follow.  Arfcommers from around the state are welcome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 1:  OPORD POSTED

OPERATIONS ORDER below.  Hopefully this answers your questions, and gives the Army veterans evil flashbacks

SITUATION:
--Interest among FL Arfcommers in Battle Buddies organization continues to grow.
--weather in Largo in late February historically is high of 72oF and partly cloudy.
--The Pinellas Trail is a flat asphalt-paved biking/hiking/running trail approximately 15-20 feet wide with a 10-foot wide grassy shoulder.  Runners/hikers stay to the right-hand side.  There may be one or two bridges with 20o inclined ramps to cross above four/six-lane roads.  There will be several crosswalks where we cross two-lane roads.

MISSION: Florida Battle Buddies conducts a 3-mile hike on the Pinellas Trail at John S. Taylor Park (1100 8th Avenue SW, Largo, FL 33770) on February 22, 2020, at 1:00pm with an optional additional 3-mile hike immediately afterward.

EXECUTION:  
INTENT: The intent is to meet fellow Arfcommers, engage in physical fitness training through hiking, meet the hiking requirement for Provisional rating, and optionally complete a portion of the hiking requirement for 3rd Class rating.
CONCEPT OF THE OPERATION:  Entrance to the park is at the north end of the park at the address above.  Assembly Area is the 2nd of the two parking lots on the left at that entrance, just past the large climbing rock on the playground.  Arrive at the parking lot not later than 1:00pm so we can get rucksacks weighed, safety brief completed, and step off not later than 1:30pm.   NOTE: Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!
--We will weigh rucksacks and record screen names, give a quick safety brief, then step off NLT 1:30pm.
--We will hike 1.5 miles to the South and 1.5 miles back to Assembly Area at an easy pace, then do a quick stop to allow people to adjust their gear, add/remove weight, get water, etc., and then do a quick after-action review (AAR) for those not doing the second 3 miles.
--We will then hike 1.5 miles to the North and 1.5 miles back at a minimum 3mph pace, return to Assembly Area, and conduct a final AAR.
COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS:  ABB standards are here.  For those seeking to attain Provisional rating, bring a 35lbs. rucksack/backpack to wear for the first 3-mile hike.  For those seeking to complete the second 3 miles towards the 3rd Class rating’s cumulative 18-mile requirement, bring an additional 10lbs. to add upon completion of the first 3-mile hike.  I will provide a scale to weigh participants with and without rucksack to determine rucksack weight.  I will record participants screen names and completion of the requirements.  
NOTE 1:  Water and LBE/PC worn on body do not count towards rucksack weight.
NOTE 2:  If you aren’t currently conditioned towards hiking/ruck-marching, go easy and do NOT overdo it with the weight.
NOTE 3: Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!

SERVICE & SUPPORT:
--Open carry of firearms is illegal in Florida except under limited circumstances that do not apply to this hike, so we shall not hike with rifles or visible firearms.  
--Wear non-cotton socks and broken-in footgear.  This is NOT the time to break in new shoes/boots!
--Bring water that is easily accessible on the hike without having to stop, drop your rucksack, and paw through it.  Sodas just make you thirstier, so I recommend leaving them at home.  NOTE: Water does not count towards the 35/45lbs. rucksack weight.
--Bring an individual first aid kid (and blister-control items if you haven’t conditioned your feet).
--Wear sunglasses and cap with brim.  Check the weather that morning and dress accordingly.  Your body will generate heat while hiking, so don’t overdress; we don’t want any heat casualties.
--Bring snacks.
--Some of us have never hiked with significant weight before, some of us haven’t ruck-marched since 15 years and/or 50 lbs. ago.  DO NOT OVERDO IT! Tips on hiking available here.
--If you have a handheld FRS/GMRS radio (Motorola Talkabout, etc.), download a spreadsheet here with frequencies and privacy codes.   Bring them with you and we can test privacy codes across various manufacturers.  Read your radio's manual in advance on how to set frequencies and privacy codes.
--The assembly area has restrooms and water fountain.

COMMAND & SIGNAL
--Post questions in this thread or IM me through the site.
--If you want to help out in any capacity or have special skills (medic, etc.) let me know either via IM or in this thread.  
--For curious onlookers who ask who we are or what our purpose is, answer them honestly that we are a hiking club.
--I’m open to any suggestions.  All of us together are smarter than one of me!

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
As much as I'd like to meetup, this one will be a no for me.  I think I have plans that evening so the distance makes it unworkable.  If my plans change, I'll let you know and try to make it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm in town, I'll be there!

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are we meeting at in the park? Google maps shows 3 parking lots just curious
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are we meeting at in the park? Google maps shows 3 parking lots just curious
View Quote
As you turn in to the north entrance to the park at the address I gave, there are two parking lots with a playground in between with a big 6'-tall fake climbing rock for kids.  Second parking lot is where we'll meet, so turn left after the big fake climbing rock.  There's a water fountain, restrooms, and easy access to Pinellas Trail from there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome I’ll be there
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for putting this together.  I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I may be able to drive over for this, I'll update when I know more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going to try to make this one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm probably the only Battle Buddy in the country who can walk 50 yards to their training trail
View Quote
you got me beat by 150 yards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone needs to bring a scale to verify pack weight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Someone needs to bring a scale to verify pack weight.
View Quote
on it.  Update to come later today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#16]
OPORD posted in op
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Since it looks like this is going to be a road march rather than a hike, I'd suggest folks read up on the differences.  Carrying a heavy load for miles on a paved surface is different and in some ways more difficult than carrying the same load on a trail.

You gain speed and consistency from a paved surface, and it's easier to mentally "zone out" since you aren't worried about foot placement (stepping in a hole) or natural hazards (branches poking out your eye).  Other injuries become more likely, however.

Nerve compression is much more of a concern, as your body will be providing the shock absorption instead of the surface you are walking on.

Stress fractures, joint and back strain are also aggravated.  Previous injuries will be more likely to remanifest.  Remember,  Uncle Sam isn't around anymore to pay you to sit around the CQ desk and recover.  Everyone read up and be safe.

Army PDF

Research Paper

@spartacus2002

Is the map below representative of the area?  Could you maybe MSPaint the route on top of it so we have a kind of "map"?

You mentioned the trail having a 10 foot grassy shoulder, would it be possible to hike on the shoulder from time to time if we choose, or is it a "keep off the grass" type area?

How busy is the park on a typical Saturday?  Is it a low-key place or will we be doing this in front of a live studio audience?

As it stands now it looks like I can make it, assuming nothing comes up with work.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is the map below representative of the area?  Could you maybe MSPaint the route on top of it so we have a kind of "map"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is the map of the park.  We will meet at the parking lot just below the northernmost picnic shelter on the map, No. 1.

The route is off that map, to the east running north-south.

You mentioned the trail having a 10 foot grassy shoulder, would it be possible to hike on the shoulder from time to time if we choose, or is it a "keep off the grass" type area?
It is allowed to walk on the grass.  The shoulder may slope to steeply for that in some places.

How busy is the park on a typical Saturday?  Is it a low-key place or will we be doing this in front of a live studio audience?
We are merely parking at the park as our assembly area, then moving out of the park onto the Pinellas Trail.  Trail can be somewhat busy, but not too busy for us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That is the map of the park.  We will meet at the parking lot just below the northernmost picnic shelter on the map, No. 1.

It is allowed to walk on the grass.  The shoulder may slope to steeply for that in some places.

We are merely parking at the park as our assembly area, then moving out of the park onto the Pinellas Trail.  Trail can be somewhat busy, but not too busy for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good, thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Following along in the ABB thread, if I understand This Post correctly, the 2nd of the planned 3 mile hikes would not count?

Also, if anyone else is looking for weights, they actually make weights for rucking.  GoRuck is the popular group that does this stuff, and they sell weights, but I ordered some off Amazon that seem good to go for less money.  Link.  I got a 10 and a 30, the MR pack I'll be using weighs 6 or 7 lbs to make up the rest of the weight.  These are sized to fit into laptop sleeves in packs and are more stable than the round weights I've been practicing with.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Following along in the ABB thread, if I understand This Post correctly, the 2nd of the planned 3 mile hikes would not count?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
my understanding is that once we've completed the first hike, we've met the requirements for becoming Provisionals.  For 3rd Class, we need 18 more miles, consisting of at least two 6-milers and the remaining 6 miles made up of hikes at least 3 miles long.

here's the 3rd Class hiking requirement:
1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles,
So once we're Provisional-qualified upon completion of the first hike, to get 3rd Class we could do two 6-milers and two-3 milers, or three 6-milers, or two 7-milers and a 4-miler, etc.  Therefore, the second 3-mile hike counts towards 3rd Class rating's total 18 miles -- if you have the minimum weight in your ruck and we meet the 3mph average pace.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
my understanding is that once we've completed the first hike, we've met the requirements for becoming Provisionals.  For 3rd Class, we need 18 more miles, consisting of at least two 6-milers and the remaining 6 miles made up of hikes at least 3 miles long.

So once we're Provisional-qualified upon completion of the first hike, to get 3rd Class we could do two 6-milers and two-3 milers, or three 6-milers, or two 7-milers and a 4-miler, etc.  Therefore, the second 3-mile hike counts towards 3rd Class rating's total 18 miles -- if you have the minimum weight in your ruck and we meet the 3mph average pace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles,
Ok cool, the way Whiskers phrased it had me confused.

So per the rules we need a minimum of two 6-milers, and we can do hikes of at least 3 miles to get the other 6 needed for the distance total.  I think I understand now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I am very excited about this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Also, if anyone else is looking for weights, they actually make weights for rucking.  GoRuck is the popular group that does this stuff, and they sell weights, but I ordered some off Amazon that seem good to go for less money.  Link.  I got a 10 and a 30, the MR pack I'll be using weighs 6 or 7 lbs to make up the rest of the weight.  These are sized to fit into laptop sleeves in packs and are more stable than the round weights I've been practicing with.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41cbylMgsXL._AC_SY400_.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for that link to the weight
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Do I have to have a backpack? Can I just plate carrier the weight?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do I have to have a backpack? Can I just plate carrier the weight?
View Quote
Per the ABB standards, it has to be a backpack to count towards rating requirements.

However, you don't have to do the hikes to meet the rating requirements.  We're hiking for camaraderie and fitness; meeting the rating requirements is a bonus.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Per the ABB standards, it has to be a backpack to count towards rating requirements.

However, you don't have to do the hikes to meet the rating requirements.  We're hiking for camaraderie and fitness; meeting the rating requirements is a bonus.
View Quote
It says “pack”. It’s weight distributed over my shoulders regardless of the terminology.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It says “pack”. It’s weight distributed over my shoulders regardless of the terminology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's Ben's organization, per his instructions here in the Guidelines thread, weight of a plate carrier does not count toward pack weight.  The purpose is to be able to carry a given amount of weight in a rucksack, which is a different issue from total additional body weight.  If you disagree, take it up with Ben.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking forward to being there Saturday! Is there a particular dress code for this thing? I figured suburban Pinellas wasn't a great place for camo, but I don't want to be that one guy who forgot to dress for the occasion

Also, I noticed in the general ABB thread that the 3rd class requirement also has a time restriction of something like 90 days for all that extra mileage to be done. Has there been any discussion about a follow-on event or regular schedule for these things to make that possible? In the event you don't complete it in time, do you just have to start the 18mi over again?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Dress casual, not for Boogaloo.  We don’t need the sheeple reporting a dozen Father Boogs taking over the Pinellas Trail — yet.

On a separate note, I am still fighting off a wicked case of flu. We may need to get someone else to step up and run the event, or else push it off a weekend. There isn’t much to this;
—bring a bathroom scale to weigh people with and without ruck to get their ruck weight,
—put an app on your phone that measures walking distance via GPS,
— walk a mile and a half north and back again, walk a mile and a half south and back again
—chill out afterward and record which participants made it.

I will have a better grasp by Thursday and will make the call then.  But if an backup event leader wants to identify himself now, that would be most helpful.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm in.
Will just load up with my standard hiking crap until I get to 45lbs. Anyone need a pack? I have a few extras I can bring. Anyone bringing trekking poles??

ETA;
When I first moved to Florida I lived in a house 50yds from the meet up point there. I would walk that park twice a day with my wonderful (now departed) dog. It is impossible to get lost there. The trail is easy walking, both the trail around the lake and the Pinellas Trail. There are 'gators in the lake but I think it is too early for them to be out. There is a frisbee golf course on the west side of the lake if that is your thing. Anyway, looking forward to meeting all ya'll.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dress casual, not for Boogaloo.  We don’t need the sheeple reporting a dozen Father Boogs taking over the Pinellas Trail — yet.

On a separate note, I am still fighting off a wicked case of flu. We may need to get someone else to step up and run the event, or else push it off a weekend. There isn’t much to this;
—bring a bathroom scale to weigh people with and without ruck to get their ruck weight,
— walk a mile and a half north and back again, walk a mile and a half south and back again

I will have a better grasp by Thursday and will make the call then.  But if an backup event leader wants to identify himself now, that would be most helpful.
View Quote
I'll jump in and help out. I just walked it Sunday and only live a few minutes away so I know the area. I will bring the following items, if anything else is needed please let me know.

Scale
GPS
cooler with water and gatoraid
Extra sunscreen
computer to record the results
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]
How many people are actually going to attend this event. We should start a poll or something to get a confirmed count.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll jump in and help out. I just walked it Sunday and only live a few minutes away so I know the area. I will bring the following items, if anything else is needed please let me know.

Scale
GPS
Extra sunscreen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scale
GPS
Extra sunscreen
Scale, cooler, and sunscreen would be most excellent.  I'll grab a flat of water and ice in my cooler.

I'm feeling better but still recuperating, I'm planning on being there but marching without a ruck to set the pace (I'll get my qualification hike in at another FLBB event)
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How many people are actually going to attend this event. We should start a poll or something to get a confirmed count.
View Quote
If anyone is planning on attending, please post in this thread that you're in and how many people you're bringing.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be there by myself. I can bring a bathroom type scale of you want to use that for weighing in.
I also have a hanging type scale if you have somewhere to hang it from but I don't think it is very accurate.

ETA;
One more suggestion. It can be kinda hard to find 45 pounds of weight to fill a pack. I would buy a few 1 gallon water jugs at wallyworld (89 cents each) and toss them in my pack for dead weight when training for my hikes. Yes, it is water but as long as it isn't dumped or drunk during the hike I would think it could be used and not discounted due to the weight not including water clause.
water= +/- 8lb/gallon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted: more suggestion. It can be kinda hard to find 45 pounds of weight to fill a pack. I would buy a few 1 gallon water jugs at wallyworld (89 cents each) and toss them in my pack for dead weight when training for my hikes. Yes, it is water but as long as it isn't dumped or drunk during the hike I would think it could be used and not discounted due to the weight not including water clause.
water= +/- 8lb/gallon.
View Quote
Absolutely correct.  Weight is weight. The prohibition on “water” counting in weight pertains to “water for your consumption during the hike” so that people’s rucks don’t magically get lighter as they drink their water during the march.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Barring something unforeseen, I'm still in.  I look forward to seeing you all Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I think my son gave me a cold, but as long as I don't get any worse I'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hooray for luck! Wife's car might be broken down. Which leaves us to being a one car family. I can't use my agency car off duty.
View Quote
Slacker
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think my son gave me a cold, but as long as I don't get any worse I'll be there.
View Quote
If you’re not up to marching with a pack, show up anyway and just walk with us. Hope you feel better, I am STILL recovering from a URI virus my son gave me...

FYI to all: I will be the guy with the  green BFL ball cap and Anticommunist Action shirt.

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately I have to bow out this time, have to work and can’t get off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I have to bow out this time, have to work and can’t get off.
View Quote
We’re gonna do this again, so keep an eye on the FLHTF for future events.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone in the Sarasota/Bradenton need a ride I can carry a few intrepid hikers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I might be game.  If I show up I'll be the guy pushing a jogging stroller.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I might be game.  If I show up I'll be the guy pushing a jogging stroller.  
View Quote
Was thinking about doing the same, but my in-laws are in town to see the little one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top