Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2021 12:17:54 AM EDT
My step son is in Hackensack and his car got flooded pretty bad. I am not sure what he is going to do with it but was wondering what type of shennanigins, scams, or rip-offs by towing companies, etc. that he might be aware of before making a move. I would expect the tow companies are slammed and likely charging a premium. Unfortunately he did not have full coverage. The car was already a salvage rebuild and good, but not worth a lot of money. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
is it abandoned in the middle of the street, or in a legal spot?

What are you trying to do with it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he wants to look at somehow trading it in, but I don't see that working well for him. If they do take it on on trade (already a salvage rebuild and currently flood damaged) they will likely slip the money they 'give' him in on the financed amount. Basically, make him pay them to take his car. I warned him of it and maybe he will pay attention to what they are doing. He's pretty sharp but doesn't have experience dealing with the vultures and snakes.

As far as where the car is, assuming the city has time to write tickets in his area, he will get one each Monday as no parking is allowed in that area on that day of the week. It flooded above the glove box but didn't move from its space.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
they probably aren't enforcing parking on the holiday weekend.

I can't imagine the trade-in value on a slavage titled car that's currently flooded out is very high, if anything.

I have a good local mechanic that didn't want to mess with an engine swap; he recommended this guy who was great:

Alstar Seating
(201) 853-9443
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gvNwZ4FZYgYtZfLk6

Don't let the name fool you, it's an all-service shop.  They even arranged towing and I'm probably a little further from them than your step son.

I have no relationship to Alstar except using them once and getting exceptional service.

Good luck, update the thread if any questions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, I didnlt consider the holiday. I am sure he will be thrilled to get any break he can, lol. He was really wanting a new car and I suppose this is the great excuse he needed. Looks like he can trade it in and they will give a few hundred for it, at best. I'm not sure if they will pick it up or if he will have to get a tow. Either way, this experience will be chocked full of lessons to learn. He's a good kid , makes good money and I have been wanting to see him get out of that beater anyway. I appreciate the help. If he changes his mind and decides to bring it back to life or needs a tow I will pass that info on. Meanwhile, I'll be watching the salvage auctions like a hawk to see some detailed pics of the car when it is up for preview ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top