Anyone got any info on it ?

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good.  Close them all for the summer.  Less possibility for fires the better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not happy about this but it's what needs to be done. I was up there over the long Memorial Day weekend and it is bone dry with plenty of fuel on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not happy about this but it's what needs to be done. I was up there over the long Memorial Day weekend and it is bone dry with plenty of fuel on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m going to have to disagree.  More government intervention is not what we need.  Yes, the fires suck, but many of the bureaucrats running the forest service would gladly close them to public access permanently if they could.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m going to have to disagree.  More government intervention is not what we need.  Yes, the fires suck, but many of the bureaucrats running the forest service would gladly close them to public access permanently if they could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the fires are actually helping forest-thinning efforts by removing fuel and making the forests less susceptible to devastating fires in the future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a massive difference between a NATURAL lighting strike causing a fire and some dumb ass driving his quad down a forest road, then parking in tall dry grass where the hot engine ignites a fire....or an idiot who can't completely put out a camp fire (or just leaves it going unattended)...or some retard who flicks a lit cigarette onto the side of the road, etc.

Would you rather risk the lives of fire fighters fighting a fire that was completely avoidable?  Spend millions of extra tax dollars fighting a fire caused by morons?  Do you want to your favorite camping spots to burn to the ground because people can't be trusted to be responsible in the outdoors?

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a massive difference between a NATURAL lighting strike causing a fire and some dumb ass driving his quad down a forest road, then parking in tall dry grass where the hot engine ignites a fire....or an idiot who can't completely put out a camp fire (or just leaves it going unattended)...or some retard who flicks a lit cigarette onto the side of the road, etc.

Would you rather risk the lives of fire fighters fighting a fire that was completely avoidable?  Spend millions of extra tax dollars fighting a fire caused by morons?  Do you want to your favorite camping spots to burn to the ground because people can't be trusted to be responsible in the outdoors?

View Quote

Yeah, and you should ban guns too because they’re dangerous and someone could get hurt.  That’s a slippery slope you’re asking to go down.  “People can’t be trusted and we need the government to save them from themselves” isn’t a philosophy I believe in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, and you should ban guns too because they’re dangerous and someone could get hurt.  That’s a slippery slope you’re asking to go down.  “People can’t be trusted and we need the government to save them from themselves” isn’t a philosophy I believe in.
View Quote

I'm sure nearly every single person on this board knows someone who has done something irresponsible or stupid with a firearm; ND, general safety, etc.  I hope and expect every gun owner to be responsible with their firearms, mainly so we all don't get painted by the same brush when it comes to people doing dumb things with a gun.  

I also hope and expect people to be good citizens when it comes to using and enjoying the land we all share, e.g. National Forests.  No one has a right to blatantly ignore common sense safety precautions when it comes to fire.  As Smokey says, "Only you can prevent forest fires".  He is absolutely correct.  It really pisses me off when an irresponsible person, who should absolutely know better, causes a fire due to their ignorance or wanton stupidity.  I don't think the Forest Service decision to close certain areas due to a incredibly high danger of fire is a bad idea, nor does it come close to government overreach.  It is good risk management.  

Is it disappointing?  Yes.  I would like to go camping sometime this summer near Stoneman Lake.  I had reservations to go to Fossil Creek starting tomorrow, and now I can't.  But I understand the decision to close the area, and I agree with it.  

Is fire good the forest?  Yes, it is...but not a constant annual event that burns thousands and thousands of acres needlessly.  A lightning strike is one thing, negligence is quite another.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting some rain down here in Phoenix today, hopefully it’s going to help this fire season end
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top