Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2023 11:15:30 PM EDT
My son loves near the harbor in Kenosha.  I would like to take my grandsons fishing there.  
What do I need to know?
Magnet fishing, what is in the bottom of the harbor?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to fish for?

I'm of no use for the magnet thingy, I'm sure its full of surprises!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Any type of fish a 10yr old and 6 yr old would be excited with catching.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Disclaimer, I’m from Racine and still fish the area, haven’t fished the Kenosha harbor in 20 years but here’s some basics to get you started..

Perch season opens June 16th.

- Crawdad tails or frozen shrimp under a float will catch perch, keep ‘em within a couple feet of the bottom.
- Drop shot a minnow on a gold hook with an orange bead above it. Perch love it but you might also end up catching a lot of Gobies. Gobies = bad
- Ultralight - light tackle/line

Big fish.. Steelhead, Kings, Coho, German Browns

- Spawn sacs under a float
- Spoons. I’d suggest 2/5 oz - 3/4 oz, KO Wobbler, Cleo’s, or Krocadiles. Silver/green, silver/blue, silver/orange have all been staples for years, glow variations work too.
- As the water gets warmer browns cruise the surface in the harbors. Rapala husky jerks, floating, DT5, and jointed in size 7-12, black/gold or brown trout color work well.
- Kings also come in closer to shore cruise the shore lines for bait fish in the summer months, spoons work well but you best be properly equipped. 12 lbs mono on an 8 ft med rod with a 4000 series reel packed full of line minimum, hook into a 15 lbs + and you have a good chance of getting spooled.

Go talk to the folks at Jalensky’s on Hwy 31 for some good big water tips. The big pond can be slow at times but land one King and they’re hooked for life!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So what do we do with the gobies if we catch some?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw em on the rocks, seriously. They’re considered an invasive species by the DNR. DNR Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top