Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2022 4:14:22 PM EDT
Fishing just inside the river (two rivers) from lake Michigan and I found a spot where I can catch these fish just about every cast just setting a worm on the bottom.
Attachment Attached File

What are they, how do I catch bigger ones, and do I want to?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably Bullheads. Related to catfish, but much smaller. Or, its what we use for muskie bait...suckers. Carp-like mouth.

If you have a garden, they make a great fertilizer. Or bait for a bigger fish worth eating.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They have scales. The fish that we call bullheads back home have smooth skin.

My son (8) is having a great time catching them though, so that's all that really matters. I put on hooks that barely fit in their mouths and pinched the barbs down so we're not tearing them up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a round eye gobie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a round eye gobie.
View Quote

A lady at the marina said that "Gobi" was one of the fish that could be caught from the bank here.

Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Gobi are an invasive.  Get em all!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you guys are fighting with all kinds of invasive aquatic things.

We went out on a charter to catch salmon yesterday and the captain of the boat told us about the spiny fleas that we were collecting on the fishing lines as we were trolling and some other fish that the salmon were supposed to eat but don't eat enough of.

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You're supposed to report those to the DNR.
Report Round Gobies
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Dnr at peninsula state park said when u catch them kill them. Throw away.  Etc. kill ‘em all. We caught some around 7” long among the small ones u pictured.
    They are also in the milwaukee river and a lot of other places too Apparently
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fishing just inside the river (two rivers) from lake Michigan and I found a spot where I can catch these fish just about every cast just setting a worm on the bottom.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG4432_JPG-2501484.JPG

What are they, how do I catch bigger ones, and do I want to?

Thanks!
View Quote

Smash it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top