Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2018 4:15:25 AM EDT
Good luck to anyone headed to the woods today!   Saw a few bucks last time we scouted.    Going to be a little warm for it though!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had much luck yet. The bigger bucks in my AO aren't moving around in daylight. I've had plenty of doe around my stand and one small four pointer. I'm after a bigger six pointer that has been caught in my game camera almost nightly.
The only time I saw him from my stand there were a bunch of doe and their fawns feeding and the does took turns running him off until he gave up. He never got close enough for a shot. I'm hoping now that the rut is starting he will get careless and come around more when it is light.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
No buck in the day light yet.  I was working on my stand the week prior to opening.  Had a generator, air compressor and air nailer running.  Took a few second break for the compressor to catch up, 2 doe and 2 dawn watching me from about 35 yards.  Hopefully the rut gets those buck losing their minds soon.  I sat in the rain last weekend.  Well, under the roof of my new stand!
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a little spike and a bigger spike on the first day.   A few does in the distance.   I went out last Sunday.  Didn't see anything in the rain.   My weekends are pretty much used up for the next few weeks.  I hope to get out again on this Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Windy as all get out this morning.   My buddy got a nice 8 point.  I had three does under my stand.   They lived!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Last Saturday it was windy as all get out.   I did take a decent 4 point right at 5pm.  Can't wait for Rifle season!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Been out the last 3 days, nothing but doe n 80# dawn.  Got a couple nice ones on camera though.   Seems to be more than usually number of 4-7 pointers.  Video trail cameras are nice.  Without the video of 4 in a row, I would have just thought it was 1 or 2 deer multiple times. Also got one nice 9pt around an 18" spread.  Not much for an Ohio deer, but down here in the hills he'll do for sure!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to go to bow season this year, but I wrecked my shoulder earlier this year and it's still not up to snuff. I had to have my bows lowered down from 50# pull to 25# and have been slowly getting it back up (I'm at 35# now). So next year I'll be back out for bow season, but right now...

At least it didn't interfere with fishing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad some of you guys got out to bow hunt this year.  Every time I hoped to get out, it was raining.  I can take the brief showers, but I just don't want to take the steady rain anymore.  My brother had a severe shoulder injury this year, too, and he had to buy a crossbow.  Another guy in our crew couldn't pull his 55# bow back on cold mornings anymore and broke down to buy a crossbow.  Growing old sucks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Was out yesterday, I introduced my self to my "neighbor" out there that has 1.25 acres and a really nice tree house/stand that overlooks some of my property.  I told him that due to the pipeline going in on the backside of my property.   I would be hunting my front part a bit more this year.   He repaid me by shooting for hours on end.   My buddy thinks that he was slinging lead onto our property.

Sucks that someone thinks that they have the right to shoot deer from their stand that are on someone else's property.   Just because.

Well, good luck to everyone hunting with rifles tomorrow!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Scratch one off the bucket list.   I took a spike with my Ruger .44 mag pistol.   I had seen some does right around 8 this morning.  I had a decent buck in the far distance.

This little guy came in around the stand.   Sat there looking around for a good bit.   Then walked off.   About 15 minutes later he presented a good shot.   I have been carrying the pistol in the woods for about ten years now in hopes that I could take a deer with it.   Plus I got home early.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work!

I know just what you mean too.  I carry a Redhawk 44 mag, going on about 8 years now.  Have yet to make it happen.

I've only seen 3 doe and a fawn so far.  Thought things would pick up with the front moving in but no such luck.  Only minutes remain, until we do it all over again tomorrow!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Went out again this morning.   Son was hunting with a MN91/30, I took a M1.   It rained, he saw a deer in the distance, but couldn't take a shot.   I hunted under the power line.  Two weeks ago, they clear cut a 30 foot path underneath.   We didn't see anything.   Had to come home early Son had to work.   Might be it for us this week.   I wanted my son to get one today.  But, there's always the last day!  And a week of Doe hunting.

Last Friday we were out there I was bow hunting.   I have a "neighbor" who owns 1.25 acres next to me.   I have written about this before, well he put up a tree house/stand that over looks some of my land that is really good hunting.   His property is triangular in shape, and the widest spot is along the road.   Where he put his stand is on the top tip of his property.  I have my land posted, well, first day of bow season, he and his son shot a buck and tracked it onto my land.   He got surprised to see one of my recently installed stands with my buddy in it.

Well, so on Friday, I see that his truck is in his driveway, with the doors open.  I introduced myself.   Long story short, he wasn't happy that we were going to be using my front part more often this year.   His 10 years of shooting deer on my land are officially over.

Friday afternoon, he opens up with a .22 mag, and about half hour before sunset, starts to "sight in" his hunting rifles.   Piss on him.  I KNOW that the d bag has taken one of my tree stands, and he is STILL using some PVC tube feeders that he STOLE from me.   Not worth calling the law over, but I told him that if I catch anyone on my land, or shooting deer on my land, I am calling the game warden.   That's the long story short.   Piss on him.   He had his 11 year old with him.   He was constantly dropping the f bomb.   What a great thing to teach a kid too.   Upset that you can't hunt land that isn't yours?   Sling lead that direction.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on the pistol bagged buck!  I always wanted to do that with a S&W 629 I bought years ago.  One day...  Good luck with the neighbor.  I know what it's like, but luckily, we've never had anybody that close to our hunting spot, except for many years ago before we bought the land and were just hunting with permission like a couple other guys.  It took an entire day of me sitting in my permanent tree stand on opening day about 125 yards away from a guy with a portable stand until he gave up and never came back.  Like the old joke, "hey, I'm here all week!".  Every day for the first week of buck season, so I don't know what this guy was thinking.  We posted our land with those yellow signs once to keep people out.  Nothing like a brand new sign to let people know things have changed.  We don't care if you hunt next to our line and one runs over after you shot it, but don't be shooting ONTO our land.  We had hunters on the land next to us (not the landowners) try to knock out our 2x4 steps in a permanent stand right on the property line before thinking we were hunting on them, but we finally explained to them that we only put that stand there because that is where the deer cross, and out seat faced our own property, not theirs.  We would not shoot onto them, and never did.  Sounds like your neighbor is a total ass, with him shooting to ruin hunting for everyone that day.  I don't know what people think that they can just hunt anywhere and get offended when they can't.  If they would just ask nicely, maybe we can work something out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top