Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2022 11:19:40 AM EDT
Visiting GS / Orange Beach for a week with the family next month.  Besides spending plenty of time with our feet in the surf, any recommendations?  We are interested in:

Good bbq
Kayaking
Jet ski rentals
Parasailing

Thanks for any tips!
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, the best food I have had down here is in Bon Secour which isn't too far north. It is called Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar... best seafood I have had since moving down this way. I've heard that Biscuit King's Cafe isn't too bad either. I've heard that McGuire's Irish Put in Pensacola is decent.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This just happened to be on the front page of al.com

https://www.al.com/life/2022/05/five-low-key-ways-to-destroy-your-diet-in-gulf-shores.html
View Quote

Great info - thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Honestly, the best food I have had down here is in Bon Secour which isn't too far north. It is called Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar... best seafood I have had since moving down this way. I've heard that Biscuit King's Cafe isn't too bad either. I've heard that McGuire's Irish Put in Pensacola is decent.
View Quote

I appreciate it, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
@bobcat71

Sure thing. There are a couple of seafood distributors right close to Tin Top if you have a hankering for fresh from the gulf seafood you can cook for yourself. Try the royal reds if you want something new.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get a chance, please check out the Ruby Slipper.  It's some of the best breakfast in the area.  They don't honor reservations, so be sure to show up early or you'll be in for a wait.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Only suggestions I have for unique things would be to check out the civil war era forts at the Mouth of Mobile bay and take a ferry ride to Dauphin Island.  Also check out the Battleship Alabama Park in Mobile.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
On the subject of dining...

Lambert's, north of GS in Foley, has always been a popular spot. We generally drop in on the exit trip out or if in Floley to let women shop. Country style food. Usually, there is always a long wait.

Last year, the wait was an hour. We skipped Lambert's and found a place about two blocks east called Wolf Bay. Seafood place. Looks meh from the outside, but more upscale inside. Dressed chefs in the immaculate kitchen and our server was a cutie.  The food and service was outstanding and did not tear a huge hole in the wallet. I'm not a big seafood eater, but the tuna steak i had was awesome.

Gas up before passing through Montgomery. Don't stop there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only suggestions I have for unique things would be to check out the civil war era forts at the Mouth of Mobile bay and take a ferry ride to Dauphin Island.  Also check out the Battleship Alabama Park in Mobile.
View Quote

This. And if you like civil war stuff, there is actually remains of a confederate steam sailer the Yankees burned. It just appears in the beach sand occasionally. We happened up on it years ago on a beach walk near Ft Morgan.. It's just the bottom of a long ship that burned to the water line.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Tin Top.

Had someone down in GS suggest it last time we were there and it was absolutely fantastic
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tin Top and Biscuit King are always on our eating schedule.  We also frequent Gulf Shores Steamers and The Gulf next to Perdido Pass.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
On the way down if you take 65, you can stop at Priester’s Pecams just south of Montgomery and the Conecuh Sausage store at exit 96 (best sausage ever). And Clanton Peaches just south of Birmingham.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Conecuh Sausage store at exit 96 (best sausage ever).
View Quote
This....  Smoke at 225 until it hits 160 internal.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all the comments.  We are really looking forward to the trip.  Heading down on June 11th.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Update on our trip:

Locals are lucky to live in such a beautiful area of the country!  My family had a great time, and it was the best beach experience I've ever had.  Walking into the gulf was like walking into a swimming pool.  I never wanted to leave the water.

I was only able to try a few of the restaurant recommendations, unfortunately.  Most of my travel group consisted of young adults, so we hit a lot of the touristy hotspots, like the Hangout and Flora-Bama.  I did pull seniority a few times, which allowed for visits to the Tin Top (which was actually worth the 2.5 hours we waited to get in) and the Ruby Slipper (seated immediately at 8 am).  Both places easily lived up to their reviews.  

Parasailing for the young ones, an obligatory dolphin cruise, and kayaking at Gulf Shores State Park were other highlights.  It was also a lot of fun swimming near dolphins - once we realized they were actually dolphins....  

Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Update on our trip:

Locals are lucky to live in such a beautiful area of the country!  My family had a great time, and it was the best beach experience I've ever had.  Walking into the gulf was like walking into a swimming pool.  I never wanted to leave the water.

I was only able to try a few of the restaurant recommendations, unfortunately.  Most of my travel group consisted of young adults, so we hit a lot of the touristy hotspots, like the Hangout and Flora-Bama.  I did pull seniority a few times, which allowed for visits to the Tin Top (which was actually worth the 2.5 hours we waited to get in) and the Ruby Slipper (seated immediately at 8 am).  Both places easily lived up to their reviews.  

Parasailing for the young ones, an obligatory dolphin cruise, and kayaking at Gulf Shores State Park were other highlights.  It was also a lot of fun swimming near dolphins - once we realized they were actually dolphins....  

Thanks for the tips!
View Quote

Wow... 2.5 hrs... I guess this is why we usually pop in at 4:30ish. Glad you had a good time!
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top