Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 6:29:15 PM EDT
Hello, does anyone on the board install wood burning Fireplace inserts?

The room my fireplace is in (the living room) doesn't get warm with just the fireplace due to a high vaulted ceiling. Have to be right in front of it for any heat.

I was hoping a fireplace insert could help with that.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've also started researching inserts and wood stoves.  There's a couple of channels on YouTube that feature stoves and fireplaces.  Online installation estimates are all over the place from $4000 to $19,000...both prices from Home Advisor.  I haven't  contacted anyone yet, there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot in my local area (far east Dallas County).

mm

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a fireback yesterday in hopes to solve some of this issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, a little more expensive than I was expecting.

First quote, they have to come inspect and clean - $350.00  
Timberwolf Economizer - $4995.00 installed

Attachment Attached File

Blazeking, not sure which model - $8500.00 installed

going to get a couple more quotes and will update as needed.

Wonder how hard a DIY would be. My chimney is pretty simple...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You will need an electric blower to take full advantage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will need an electric blower to take full advantage.
View Quote

Pretty sure they come with the insert.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with a pellet insert. We had our 400+ square foot living room up to 82+ when power was out with our stove. Got our Harman from fan and flame in Sherman.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Davids stove shop in weatherford
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, a little more expensive than I was expecting.
View Quote

True that.

But my Travis Industries 36" Xtrodinaire heats up a large house using good seasoned wood so hot that you can't see straight.

Saved my whole house from freezing recently. NONE of my pipes froze, and we stayed in the house the whole time with 4 days of no power from the grid. I started a couple back up gennys, which powered the little fan motor as well as other critical circuits, and we were good to go. Made so much heat, it radiated heat into the VENTILLATED attic and kept all pipes GTG

It was -4 outside and 60 inside with a LOT of glass in between the two.

Draws combustion air from the attic. Separately draws heating air from the attic thru a attic mounted blower. It's not even realistic how much heat it throws, and mine is only the 36" model. I think they make a 42" too. And my combuster insert is totally cashed out. These things just make stupid heat. I literally burn mine 24/7 all winter. All night. All day. All winter.

It is an investment. But I am sold. I use the heck out of it every year.

I would NOT DIY however unless you're Bob Vila. Mess up something in wall and burn your house to the ground.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would NOT DIY however unless you're Bob Vila. Mess up something in wall and burn your house to the ground.
View Quote

Bob Vila aint got shit on me.

Just kidding but i was in construction for over a decade and a finish carpenter for most of that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just finished my install last week.  Tall ceilings but I dont care.  Tons of oaks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just finished my install last week.  Tall ceilings but I dont care.  Tons of oaks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88921/20210213_144350_jpg-1839857.JPG
View Quote

That came out great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That came out great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88921/20210213_144350_jpg-1839857.JPG

That came out great.

Thank you.  Was a big pain in the ass.  

To those looking there is an agency (will have to look it up) offering rebates/tax incentives for new stoves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm. As I look at this thread, I see the realistic possibility of an indoor stick burning BBQ smoker. The smoker could have removable insulating coverings, I could smoke my Q inside the A/C when it is hot... or uncovered when it is cold outside.

I have seen an old.... (100 yr.) indoor fireplace/brick smoker in a remodel job I worked on in Oak Cliff. The home owner said the smoker was useless, and filled the room with smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top