Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/16/2021 8:16:19 AM EDT
Buckeye Firearms

Bills We Support
These are bills which, as currently written, reduce firearm regulations and expand Second Amendment rights.

HB 12 - ENFORCE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS (Sponsor: Diane V. Grendell) To provide for a writ of mandamus or prohibition to enforce a person's constitutional right against a chief administrative officer or elected executive official whose duty is to uphold the Ohio and United States Constitutions.

HB 62 - DESIGNATE OHIO A SECOND AMENDMENT SANCTUARY (Sponsors: Mike Loychik, Diane V. Grendell) To designate the State of Ohio as a Second Amendment Sanctuary State and to name this act the Ohio Second Amendment Safe Haven Act.

HB 89 - REPEAL THE DUTY TO "PROMPTLY" INFORM (Sponsor: Scott Wiggam) To modify the requirement that a concealed handgun licensee must notify a law enforcement officer that the licensee is authorized to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun when stopped.

HB 99 - EXEMPT ARMED SCHOOL PERSONNEL FROM POLICE TRAINING (Sponsor: Thomas Hall) To expressly exempt persons authorized to go armed within a school safety zone from a requirement to complete extensive peace officer basic training.

Bills We Oppose
These are bills which, as currently written, increase firearm regulations and infringe Second Amendment rights.

HB 38 - REQUIRE DUTY TO RETREAT (Sponsors: Thomas West, Adam C. Miller) To repeal Senate Bill 175, passed last session, and bring back the duty to retreat in Ohio.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I like HB 62
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like HB 62
View Quote

#metoo
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Can someone explain HB12 to me?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can someone explain HB12 to me?
View Quote

FWIW here’s a link to the bill

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA134-HB-12

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I like 99.  I have mixed feelings on it.
View Quote

Yup, there are pros and cons to everything.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure I like 99.  I have mixed feelings on it.

HB99 is to fix the problem Bloomberg's lawsuit with Madison School District has created after the 12th District ruled teachers need Police Academy training to CCW on school grounds.
The OSC has heard arguments and will be ruling anytime.  Truly it will be a 3-2 ruling but flipping a coin on which way it will go.  It is sad that some members of the OSC can't seem to realize there is a difference between a school employee CCW on school grounds and a police officer.

The biggest problem with HB99 is it would change Ohio law to require the person to have a CCW license.  This is already required to meet federal law to carry on school grounds so it would in theory not change anything but again then why even do it?  Because some legislators don't understand that federal law and state law don't have to perfectly align and both have to be met to be legal.

JLE
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of HB 62.  I doubt Mr. votedforthe94AWB DeWine will be though.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA134-HB-62
View Quote

Yeah, I'm afraid that it's a fantasy.  One that I like, but a fantasy all the same.  I hope I'm proven wrong on that but I'm not counting on it...
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
HB62 is nothing but a symbolic gesture.  Good to make a point but doesn't mean much to gun owners.

This year is the when we can likely push constitutional carry through.  I know most gun bills run in lame duck at the end of the 2 year cycle but if we can get something to Dewine before the primaries start next year he about has to sign it or flip a ton of gun votes to a primary opponent.

JLE
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's our best shot, because there's absolutely no chance of 2A friendly legislation from the Fed gov.   We need this to protect against that.
View Quote

I agree 100%, I'm just not getting my hopes up is all.  I think it will be a bridge too far for some of the more establishment minded republicans but we'll see.  It would be fantastic if OH became a 2A sanctuary state.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top