Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2020 11:16:26 PM EDT
Hello all,

I am moving out of the political shit show that is Virginia (Northern Virginia at that) and have been considering primarily Tennessee, but we have found a house in Bowling Green that’s quite nice.

I know that y’all in KY have had some anti-freedom political f*ckery like VA has this legislative session, so I was wondering if someone could summarize the current state of gun laws in the state.

Specifically:

Is NFA ok
Any restrictions on certain firearm types
Any stupid stuff like license to purchase or FOID cards
Concealed carry is shall issue?  Any weirdness there,
Shooting on private property allowed.  The property we found is 32 acres.

Any other stuff good or bad I should know as a competitive and recreational shooter?

Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The KY subforum on OpenCarry dot org has a wonderful summary
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: Hello all,

I am moving out of the political shit show that is Virginia (Northern Virginia at that) and have been considering primarily Tennessee, but we have found a house in Bowling Green that’s quite nice.

I know that y’all in KY have had some anti-freedom political f*ckery like VA has this legislative session, so I was wondering if someone could summarize the current state of gun laws in the state.

Specifically:

Is NFA ok
Any restrictions on certain firearm types
Any stupid stuff like license to purchase or FOID cards
Concealed carry is shall issue?  Any weirdness there,
Shooting on private property allowed.  The property we found is 32 acres.

Any other stuff good or bad I should know as a competitive and recreational shooter?

Thanks guys!!
View Quote

All types of NFA is welcome.
No restriction on firearm types
Your CCDW license is shall issue
KY has constitutional carry also
shooting on your own land is o.k. in most areas but I can't speak definitively for BG.
The KY CCDW license also applies to some non-firearm weapons.
(a) A weapon of mass destruction;

(b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged;

(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;

(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;

(e) Blackjack or slapjack;

(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;

(g) Shuriken or death star; ?or

(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

It is worth it to know that Ky has a preemption statute (KRS 65.870) so if you hear of a Sheriff or CLEO or city official talking about local restrictions that only apply to them, they can't.

I hope the move is an easy one for you OP.

If you end up in BG, you'll likely be driving through some areas that are beautiful (Scottsville comes to mind) and of course the Corvette museum is also there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: My 2 cents.
Bowling Green is a great area within an easy drive to either Louisville and Nashville.

NFA is good to go. Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot is just up the road from Bowling Green and SOT3s are plentiful here.

The only thing needed to purchase a firearm is money and a form of ID. If you have your CCDW there is no NICS call.

No restrictions on any weapons. We are a Constitutional Carry state plus our CCDW License is for ANY deadly weapon.

Shooting on your property would be addressed by local governments. Pretty much the only restrictions on gun rights the legislature allows local governments to make involves the discharging of firearms.
View Quote

I forgot to mention the NICS bypass also.

Thank you Jeep29.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know that y'all in KY have had some anti-freedom political f*ckery like VA has this legislative session, so I was wondering if someone could summarize the current state of gun laws in the state.
View Quote
What's going on in KY is nothing like what VA went through. Your gun rights are alive and well here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank y’all so much for the replies.  Those are really good, positive responses.  Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Now let me ask...what do you dislike about the state?  Anything?

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank y'all so much for the replies.  Those are really good, positive responses.  Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Now let me ask...what do you dislike about the state?  Anything?

View Quote
Right now? The fucking governor is a weasely little bitch that is overstepping his authority in the name of "safety".
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I heard y’all have a dem Governor now.  Too familiar.

Any 2A instability on the horizon as a result in your opinion?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, I heard y’all have a dem Governor now.  Too familiar.

Any 2A instability on the horizon as a result in your opinion?
View Quote

Our governors go R then D then R and keep going.

Pretty sure the R have at minimum majority if not super majority in the state house.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t trust any of em anymore but the Rs are a little safer, so that’s good news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top