Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2022 7:16:45 PM EDT
My CCW expired, but I still need to transport my weapon from work to car etc without raising too many eyebrows.

If there's nothing in the chamber, does that count as a concealed weapon, or am I transporting it unloaded in a case? It would be in its own padded velcro pocket in my 5.11 bag, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#1]
This link more or less reflects what I was told by my CCW instructor who is a retired LEO.

https://www.nevadacarry.org/concealed-carry.html

I'm not a lawyer and you should consult with a qualified attorney.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded handgun which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

I am not a lawyer.

As you can see loaded or not makes no difference.

It does not apply on your private residence or a private property where you have permission, like a gun range.

Carried on or about the person is where I have seen some small debate. For example the saddlebag of a bike or wheelchair is not supported by the person and thus not carried by them.
Beyond permission on private property you are kind of left with the interpretation of discernable by ordinary observation. I have always thought that an obvious gun case is discernable by ordinary observation.

It's kinda dumb because you would be perfectly fine to just do whatever with it on your hip in the open but that is not as widely socially acceptable.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucius] [#3]
So if I’m on the way to the range with my pistol unloaded in a gun case, and carry that case into the gun range ‘on my person’ I’m breaking the law?

Seems dubious!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the issue is that it was a poorly written law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top