User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know if the Trail Creek fire is on both sides of the 43?
View Quote

I believe so, and 8542 acres so far. 43 is closed from Wisdom to the top of Lost Trail Pass/Hwy 93.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7634/#

Projected Incident Activity

12 hours: Fire will continue to grow in all directions due to the heavy fuel loading and Beetle kill trees,

Fire will continue to impact Hwy 43 corridor and Pioneer Scenic Byway.

24 hours: Fire will threaten several private residences, Continue to threaten, and impact the Hwy 43

corridor, Fire will continue to spot and move on all directions

48 hours: Fire will threaten several private residence, Continue to threaten, and impact the Hwy 43

72 hours:

Fire will threaten 13 private residences, continue to threaten and impact the Hwy 43 corridor.

Fire will continue to spot and move on all directions. Bitterroot NF, Darby Sula RD is only 3 air

miles to the north and the Salmon-Challis NF is to the south and west and in Forest service's

Region 4.

Anticipated after 72 hours:

Fire will will be a long term event and will burn through the fire season until a

season ending event produces moisture. If fire receives moisture it will slow the

growth but maintain its presence.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I believe so, and 8542 acres so far. 43 is closed from Wisdom to the top of Lost Trail Pass/Hwy 93.

12 hours: Fire will continue to grow in all directions due to the heavy fuel loading and Beetle kill trees,

24 hours: Fire will threaten several private residences, Continue to threaten, and impact the Hwy 43

48 hours: Fire will threaten several private residence, Continue to threaten, and impact the Hwy 43

72 hours:

Fire will threaten 13 private residences, continue to threaten and impact the Hwy 43 corridor.

Fire will continue to spot and move on all directions. Bitterroot NF, Darby Sula RD is only 3 air

miles to the north and the Salmon-Challis NF is to the south and west and in Forest service's

Region 4.

Fire will will be a long term event and will burn through the fire season until a

season ending event produces moisture. If fire receives moisture it will slow the

View Quote

Yikes.  Looks like there is some concern for the Big Hole Battlefield.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Fire started just south of me this afternoon on the neighbors place.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just read that red lodge engine 78 got burned over on a fire by Joliet. 2 crew members. 1 was severely burned and flown to salt lake.

I've fought fire with that engine and numerous people from that dept. I'm trying to find out who it was.

Sad deal.
View Quote

Damn.  I hope they recover quickly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

72 hours:

Region 4.

Just over 15000 acres now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers sent to Mr. Steffensen.

I’m off the Balsinger. Heading to the two fires in the Crazy’s. . They were 80ac this morning. Now at 1200 ac.

Picture that air attack just sent. American Fork on the left Ohearn on the right. Ugh.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Ended up getting pulled to the Black Mountain fire south of Jackson, MT. At least this one can be put in a box.  It will be 26,000+ ac by the time it’s done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Gallatin and Silver Bow Stage 2 restrictions by the weekend. No more recreational shooting outside ranges until snow flies.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]
We had someone intentionally set two fires along local highway last night.   Deputies missed them as they went back through town.

Damn lucky a guy couldn’t sleep and was looking out over the praire when he saw them start up and called it in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We had someone intentionally set two fires along local highway last night.   Deputies missed them as they went back through town.

Damn lucky a guy couldn’t sleep and was looking out over the praire when he saw them start up and called it in.
View Quote

I swear - if we have another rash of spree-firestarters I might lose my mind a bit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The wind was right yesterday and the smoke has (at least temporarily) lifted off the Flathead Valley. I could see Glacier NP peaks this morning some 50+ miles away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife just saw a video of a house in Seely Lake going up in smoke.  It's close to the town itself, and evac orders are being issued.  Video at link

Seely Lake Evac
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]
This was nothing in the grand scheme of fires this summer, but it's my first experience with a fire close-ish to my new home. They got it put out by late afternoon after burning only about 4 acres.

There are lots of homes just down the hill and downwind from where lightning caused this fire to start on Wednesday and smoulder until the wind picked up yesterday.

I watched a few choppers with buckets dip into the small lake close to this fire, then go dump their buckets on it. Forest service and local FD were all over this one very quickly. Kudos to them for being on the ball. Had they not responded so quickly, dozens or hundreds of homes and businesses could have been engulfed on the west side of the Flathead.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/crews-battle-fire-near-ashley-lake-west-of-kalispell

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Just found out that evacuation orders are pending for the communities of Niehart and Monarch. Our cabin and my Uncles home are in that area. My Uncle has spent the last 40+ years building his log home from logs sourced from the family property. Please keep all the fire crews in your prayers as well as all those affected by this years fire season.

ETA Public meeting scheduled for tonight @7pm at the Niehart community center.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just found out that evacuation orders are pending for the communities of Niehart and Monarch. Our cabin and my Uncles home are in that area. My Uncle has spent the last 40+ years building his log home from logs sourced from the family property. Please keep all the fire crews in your prayers as well as all those affected by this years fire season.

ETA Public meeting scheduled for tonight @7pm at the Niehart community center.
View Quote
Praying for rain and safety.

Family has a cabin on the other side of the mountain. White sulpher side.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:27:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Saw this from the helo a few days ago and knew it was big. Located it today with the rzr.   This is the largest Douglas fir I’ve seen in MT.  It measures 74” DBH. The photo doesn’t do it justice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Was a big fir.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#26]
What would that tree be, probably 1000 years old?
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I wish I could have seen that thing when it was alive.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What would that tree be, probably 1000 years old?
View Quote

I think that’s a pretty good guess. It’s a cold/dry/harsh site so 1000 is probably a minimum. Gonna poke around there again today and see if there are any others.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#29]
According to NWF; Rocky Mountain Douglas Fir for rarely live more than 400 years. Coastal Doug Fir live 500-1000 years.
I've cut a lot of them for fires and firewood. Never counted more than 425 years on one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Just had a decent storm roll through the west side of Kalispell. Actually rained! Hopefully the lightning didn't/doesn't start anything new though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a pretty good one North of Glendive kick off yesterday and go into the overnight.

Mutual aid had to be brought in from several surrounding depts, I think even a crew from ND came over. Highway 16 was shut down for several hours as well.  

Scanner traffic this morning indicates they are still working some hot spots.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Woke up last Sunday with a sore back. That was day 15, travel day. By the time I got home I could barely walk. I have spent the last nine days in constant pain. Damn herniated disc has come back to bring me to my knees. Multiple trips to the chiropractor have not relieved the pain. I can still barely make it to the damn mailbox. Getting old is not for the weak.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Sister has been chatting with people she knows on the different rez's on fire.

Prayers and trying to send more rain down your way.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Woke up last Sunday with a sore back. That was day 15, travel day. By the time I got home I could barely walk. I have spent the last nine days in constant pain. Damn herniated disc has come back to bring me to my knees. Multiple trips to the chiropractor have not relieved the pain. I can still barely make it to the damn mailbox. Getting old is not for the weak.
View Quote

Acupuncture?  I tried that before and it worked really well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#40]
The only thing that finally fixed my back was a complete disc replacement, and I wish I would've done it 5 years sooner...
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm grateful for this rain. I hope it helped you guys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top