Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2021 9:59:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Still green & better off in the West Central part although the T-Storm that went over Blue Mtn last week caused two smokes to pop up.
Snow pack is still good but climbing up the hills/slopes pretty good.  

We're in with NC ID as being in the best shape but that can change quick with a few weeks of hot weather.  We'll see what happens in July & August.  After 17 we've been pretty good locally but we're still downwind from ID for the thick smoke.

Mother Nature still bats last.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys are lucky. We are waaay ahead of where we should be for the year. Not much as far as moisture for april-june. Grass is already dry and ready to burn in spots. These 90s and 100+ degree days is not going to help at all.
View Quote
Yep, I think we're boned.

Based on your experience, will non-spark producing ammo start a grass fire either from hot lead or brass?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Based on your experience, will non-spark producing ammo start a grass fire either from hot lead or brass?
View Quote
Yes it can, when the conditions are right. Especially if you are using steel targets. Just shooting paper targets into the side of a hill is not much of a risk if the bullets are going into the dirt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why I only shoot cast lead outside of a range with dirt berms. 22 years eating smoke for USFS, I learned a little bit about wild fires. I have seen grass fires already along I-15 even though it's still green.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep, I think we're boned.

View Quote

I have seen fire start from a broadhead (arrow).

Things are very dry.  Yesterday the Mrs and I were heading to Holter Dam to start our float down the river. Within two miles of getting onto the interstate there was a grass fire just starting to take off from a trailer that had grenaded a wheel. Talk about feeling helpless. I was in my commuter car, dressed on crocks and plastic clothes, and had zero tools in the car to deal with such things.  All I could do is call for help.  Lessons learned.

We got off the river and when we hit Sieben Flats we could see the column coming off of the Deep Creek fire east of Townsend. That one went to somewhere around 200 ac in a few hours. That seems to be the norm anymore for June fires in the Helena valley. Drove by it twice today as I went to layout slashing units ahead of the contractors. Looked like they had a handle on things. It was 103* when I hit East Helena.  

We’ll see what tomorrow’s Red Flag Warning brings with 95* and gusts in the mid 30’s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Far east side is a tinder box waiting to kick off.  We're already had a few good ones right along/over the ND boarder.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell of a way to try to start the growing season.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy fuck.  It hit 107 today on the plant's weather station.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure you you have to have a url to post pictures here these days. Is the site not hosting photos?

Deep Creek Canyon went for it today. Jumped highway 12 and has run to the top of the canyon. Primary and secondary homes lost as well as outbuildings. As TOTHEMAX reported a stated ship crashed at our helibase. Everyone walked away thank god.

We’re dealing with late August fuel conditions in June. There’s no way we’re pulling out of this. Brace for a long smoke filled summer. If you haven’t already, clean up your property and get as much defensible space created RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you reply, click in the attach image below the text box.  You can upload images there and post them.
View Quote

Thanks, I’m tired. Waiting to get this IAP approved so I can spent the next 1.5 hours making copies.

Fire by Red Lodge

Attachment Attached File

Fire in the Pryors

Attachment Attached File

Deep Creek Canyon near Townsend

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
If the one that crashed is the DNRC out of Helena, then I have some time on that one as well, back in the mid-80's. Grew up with Mark's (pilot) son and all.  Ages ago.  I have been watching that fire close as that area my family has hunted since the 70's.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Might have ridden that one a well. I remember riding a Huey on a state fire in the pintlers back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It got real today. The fire south of red lodge got up and moved. Reports of structures burned. New fire reported on top of the pryors. 2000+ acres. One over in the Big Horn. One on the rez.

They crashed a state helicopter 98M up by Helena. All the crew members made it out. I have been on that ship numerous times.
View Quote

Well, was gonna head into the Beartooths for a week on Friday.
Supposed to go in at Lake Fork trailhead.
Looks like I'll be going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Just recalled when I was a firefighter on the Beaverhead NF, we were called "The Asbestos Forest" due to the lack of significant fires. That was until the siege of 1988.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Is (was) the DNRC chopper a white Huey?  Saw a couple of them all summer long, last year.  We flew in from Denver on Friday.  I saw the fire that was over in the Pryors, but the Red Lodge fire had the Beartooth front obscured by smoke, so I couldn't really see it from the air.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

X2 Thank you
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yesterday we went to a Planning Level 4 (out of 5) nationally.  Region 3 (the SW) is in PL5. IIRC, we have only gone into PL4 nationally in June three or four other times.

Having been through the Deep Creek Canyon fire a few times this week it is shocking to see that the riparian areas fully consumed all the vegetation. Willow thickets have been reduced to nothing but 4” stumps. These are areas that we knew had low fuel moistures but to see them reduced to nothing but ash in June is extremely alarming. The fires around Red Lodge saw large crown fires on East and North facing slopes at 7,000’+ elevation. We are in for a hell of a ride.  

Next week is forecasted to have 100* temps around here.  Prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yesterday we went to a Planning Level 4 (out of 5) nationally.  Region 3 (the SW) is in PL5. IIRC, we have only gone into PL4 nationally in June three or four other times.

Having been through the Deep Creek Canyon fire a few times this week it is shocking to see that the riparian areas fully consumed all the vegetation. Willow thickets have been reduced to nothing but 4” stumps. These are areas that we knew had low fuel moistures but to see them reduced to nothing but ash in June is extremely alarming. The fires around Red Lodge saw large crown fires on East and North facing slopes at 7,000’+ elevation. We are in for a hell of a ride.  

Next week is forecasted to have 100* temps around here.  Prepare accordingly.
View Quote

We have barely hit 90 so far in the Flathead and I saw that 99 is in our forecast for next week.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Would send some of our rain if I could.

After being very dry after break-up we are now having rain almost every day.

With how dry Montana is now reminds me of 88 and some other dry years.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
With how dry Montana is now reminds me of 88 and some other dry years.
View Quote

Oh man. Don't say that!

Helena is even more populated. Yellowstone is finally looking nice again. A repeat of that kind of thing would be absolutely awful.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I see where a good portion of Custer-Gallatin NF is going to State 1 restrictions today.  I expect more will come along soon too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#32]
From the NWS Predictive Services,

“Fire potential will be increasing over the next week to ten days as fuels dryness and fire danger will once again be increasing overall. Although there are still some areas that are in green-up with a cover of green fine fuels, the underlying surface fuels from last year are plentiful and dry. Weather conditions that are expected will facilitate curing very quickly. Heavier fuel classes are well above average across all of the Northern Rockies and extreme to historically dry in most due to abnormal dryness and long-term drought.

Following the multi-day lightning activity, we can expect to see holdover fires as conditions warm and dry with more sun.

This weekend will begin a prolonged very hot period that will peak next week with record high temperatures (some all-time records in Idaho and western Montana), and very dry conditions underneath a historically strong and unseasonable ridge of high pressure, particularly west of the Continental Divide. This will bring longer, nearly continuous burning periods due to poor overnight humidity recoveries, especially on ridges and mid-slopes as subsidence inversions set up.

As the ridge remains in place with hot, dry, and unstable conditions continuing through next week, high-based monsoonal thunderstorms could begin to emerge as early as next Wednesday night or Thursday and become a daily focus for new ignitions and erratic winds.”

I’m usually not one to predict doom and gloom. My usual answer to the question of, “What do you think we’re in for this summer?” is “ I’ll tell you in September.”  But this year is different and not in a good way. I hope I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm near Billings and it's dry as could be here. I'm with a local, volunteer unit north of Billings and we have been getting dispatched everywhere on the Eastern side of the state. We've been in Red Lodge, Roundup, around Billings, and few other area's. I'm trying to stay positive that we will get some rain though
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
7 fires currently in southern half of my county, in the neighboring departments area.   North side of the Missouri River Breaks.  

Hard to sit here doing nothing but there's no one else around to cover my area and their now empty firehall.

Probably go relieve some members at some point.  

Worst part about now is tons of little storms with a SLIGHT drizzle and tons of lightning.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Southerly winds brought noticeable smoke up from the southern Bitterroot to the north end and Missoula from the Dixie Fire southeast of Grangeville, ID.

Winds shifted by mid-day to the west and broke that up and cleared things, although a smoke column can be seen stretching across from the ID side.

Also, a cluster of small fires in the Superior/St. Regis & Plains/T-Falls areas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Trying to send some much needed rain to you dry L48's.
Our puddles have puddles currently.

Waiting for word if any of my cousins and aunts land has burned yet with the Delphia/Musselshel fires.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Persistent haze to various density levels all day in the Bitterroot & Missoula.  Much more noticeable and thicker in the southern half of the valley, again due to the Dixie fire.

Worse in the morning due to the inversion with gradual lifing/thining after mid-day.  Mountains ranging from just outlines to making out some forest/opening changes but can't make out individual trees like when clear.

Red Flag with higher winds with a dry front coming through on Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#39]
It was quite hazy in the Flathead this afternoon and evening from the fires south and west of us.

I can usually see the peaks of Glacier from my living room some 50 miles away. Today I could barely see the ridge ~4 miles away.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was quite hazy in the Flathead this afternoon and evening from the fires south and west of us.

I can usually see the peaks of Glacier from my living room some 50 miles away. Today I could barely see the ridge ~4 miles away.
View Quote

Yep. It got worse as the day went along.

My family and I hiked up to Hornet Lookout and you can barely see any of the distant peaks in our pics.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep. It got worse as the day went along.

My family and I hiked up to Hornet Lookout and you can barely see any of the distant peaks in our pics.
View Quote

It's better as of this morning but still pretty hazy. Looks like the wind shifted some overnight.  

This is all new to me as my family has been here a total of 7 days and a wakeup.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's better as of this morning but still pretty hazy. Looks like the wind shifted some overnight.  

This is all new to me as my family has been here a total of 7 days and a wakeup.
View Quote

This weekend was definitely smoky and I thought a fire popped up near us at first, but I couldn't find anything.. Most of the fires haven't really affected our area yet this season.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is from a couple summers ago, but shows how bad smoke can get in the Flathead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3446/Smoke-2011057.jpg
View Quote

It was fairly smoky last September when we visited. Not that bad, but easy to see how it can happen.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#46]
On the Balsinger Fire south of Monarch. It moved 1.25 miles downhill/side slope with light winds in one hour yesterday. This will take out Thunder Mountain at a minimum. Today it spotted into the Tenderfoot as well. We do not have a box. Extremely limited resources available. We’re purely moving people and cattle out of the way as well as doing structure assessments.

If you,or anyone you know, have a place along the Highway 89 corridor between Niehart and Monarch I’d suggest you make some time in the very near future to button things up.

Grrrr, limited service won’t let me post pix.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
On the Balsinger Fire south of Monarch. It moved 1.25 miles downhill/side slope with light winds in one hour yesterday. This will take out Thunder Mountain at a minimum. Today it spotted into the Tenderfoot as well. We do not have a box. Extremely limited resources available. We're purely moving people and cattle out of the way as well as doing structure assessments.

If you,or anyone you know, have a place along the Highway 89 corridor between Niehart and Monarch I'd suggest you make some time in the very near future to button things up.

Grrrr, limited service won't let me post pix.

View Quote
Yikes.

Know people that have places over there.

Family cabin is near Kings Hill on the White Sulpher Springs side.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone know if the Trail Creek fire is on both sides of the 43?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the Trail Creek fire is on both sides of the 43?
View Quote

Here’s a real handy site that will give you pretty good up to date satellite heat signatures across the nation.

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/46.9437/-110.8708/13
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top