Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2021 9:25:37 AM EDT
Hey guys. After 15 years or so in Virginia, it’s looking like we may have a possibility to make a move to Tennessee. My wife’s family is all in the Bristol area so I’m interesting in finding a place within 3 hours from there in Tennessee.

We are going to make a weekend trip this Friday and I wondered if anyone knew of any places that may not be listed but maybe coming on the market we might be lucky enough to check out. We have five children so the available listing options for 5+ bedrooms is incredibly low right now. Looking for some acreage also.

Anyhow just thought I’d check ... just in case.

Thanks
Rob
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Right now like the rest of the country, houses are hot, real hot and moving fast.

That being said, you're kind of in a specialty market in my mind as needing at least 5+ bedrooms. I would check www.realtor.com and go from there. You can input the amount of bedrooms and a radius to work from. 3 hours within Bristol is a pretty big area, that pretty much takes you to right at Chattanooga to the south.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to talk to a realtor in the Tri-Cities area, shoot me a message.  I've got a friend that will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to talk to a realtor in the Tri-Cities area, shoot me a message.  I've got a friend that will take care of you.
View Quote

Thank you. We have a realtor and he’s doing a fantastic job. I was just curious if the great folks in our community here might know of anything that might be coming. My criteria is making our search discouraging.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
from what I read TN is a top spot for all the urban flight, Cali pepl....I was wondering why prices are $100k more than last year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Lotsa old farmhouses for sale in the SE corner. Many are two story, so I would imagine a 5 BR wouldn't be too hard to make happen, IMO.

OP, be sure to check around the Tellico area, in Monroe Co. I'm betting you'll find exactly what you want around there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
As someone else pointed out real state in Tn is selling very quickly.  There are houses in my subdivision that are in process of being built that already have contingency and are not even close to being done.  Last year same builder had 5 houses on my street sat all Winter with no offers till the Spring.  It is a sellers market and with Californians eyeballing Tn it is going to get worse.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
A neighbors house is for sale in Maryville that has 5b, 5ba, 5700 sq.ft., pool, on 4 acres listed for 1.2mil. MLS#:1109862 . It shows a pending offer but it's been that for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A neighbors house is for sale in Maryville that has 5b, 5ba, 5700 sq.ft., pool, on 4 acres listed for 1.2mil. MLS#:1109862 . It shows a pending offer but it's been that for awhile.
View Quote

Thank you. We looked at it, love it, but we are hoping for more acreage.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As someone else pointed out real state in Tn is selling very quickly.  There are houses in my subdivision that are in process of being built that already have contingency and are not even close to being done.  Last year same builder had 5 houses on my street sat all Winter with no offers till the Spring.  It is a sellers market and with Californians eyeballing Tn it is going to get worse.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you. We looked at it, love it, but we are hoping for more acreage.
View Quote

Look at Monroe Co yet?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look at Monroe Co yet?
View Quote

If there’s an active listing that has 5 bedrooms in East Tennessee I’d bet money we have seen it. We are on the way to Ootewah and Cleveland right now to check a couple of places that are intriguing.

Still hoping there might be one that’s not listed yet but may be coming soon that we will fall in love with.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t suppose you guys have any words of wisdom or awareness about Maryville to share?  We have our eyes on something in that area and I’m really looking for advice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don’t suppose you guys have any words of wisdom or awareness about Maryville to share?  We have our eyes on something in that area and I’m really looking for advice.
View Quote

I can think of a lot worse places than Maryville. It is close to Knoxville, the Smokies, lots of lakes, etc.

Are you talking in Maryville city proper or outside of the city? Not that it matters much. I am pretty sure the Maryville/Blount county school system is not too bad either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can think of a lot worse places than Maryville. It is close to Knoxville, the Smokies, lots of lakes, etc.

Are you talking in Maryville city proper or outside of the city? Not that it matters much. I am pretty sure the Maryville/Blount county school system is not too bad either.
View Quote

We are looking at a place outside of the city. Not within the city proper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in Blount county?

Which end of the county?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But in Blount county?

Which end of the county?
View Quote

yes in Blount County.  It's the Southern part of the county.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]
There's nothing in BC. All my inventory is sold. People are buying before ground is even broken. It's kind of crazy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maryville city schools are top rated, blount county aren't as highly rated but people I've talked with say they're good as well. You'll get much more bang for your buck outside the city but internet service can get spotty and cell service seems non existent in the smokies. Maryville being a college town has a significant lefty presence but it's still overwhelmingly right...for now.
Maryville real estate and growth is crazy and traffic is only gonna get worse with the 200 million dollar amazon warehouse being built near tyson mcghee airport at pellissippi parkway.
If you live outside city limits you pay county taxes and have to contract privately for trash service and fire protection if you want it. If you're in city limits you pay county tax plus city tax so total is double but trash and fire is included. Non city residents can pay 2k/yr per kid to attend city schools if there is room but no busing is provided.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maryville city schools are top rated, blount county aren't as highly rated but people I've talked with say they're good as well. You'll get much more bang for your buck outside the city but internet service can get spotty and cell service seems non existent in the smokies. Maryville being a college town has a significant lefty presence but it's still overwhelmingly right...for now.
Maryville real estate and growth is crazy and traffic is only gonna get worse with the 200 million dollar amazon warehouse being built near tyson mcghee airport at pellissippi parkway.
If you live outside city limits you pay county taxes and have to contract privately for trash service and fire protection if you want it. If you're in city limits you pay county tax plus city tax so total is double but trash and fire is included. Non city residents can pay 2k/yr per kid to attend city schools if there is room but no busing is provided.
View Quote

Woah.  There's a lot of "holy crap" elements in this.  

If what you're saying is true about fire service, I won't even be able to get insurance on my home for one, and second I won't be able to send my kids to school either?  (I have 5 kids)
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If what you're saying is true about fire service, I won't even be able to get insurance on my home for one, and second I won't be able to send my kids to school either?  (I have 5 kids)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fire service subscriptions I've seen advertised for $395./year and trash $20-40./mo. so it's pretty reasonable but living outside city limits and paying for that many kids to attend city schools is cost prohibitive, seems a lot of people move outside city limits once their kids are out of school.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be able to get your home insured regardless of where you live. You will be rated per the distance/ability of the fire protection provider. It’s not a big deal. Knox county is the same way as are almost all counties in TN with the exception of the cities in the largest 6-8 counties.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]
He's talking about sending county kids to Maryville city schools, in an out of district manner. The county will edjumacate them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
ahh, thank you for all of the clarifications.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
@Handsome_Rob

If you have five school age children then Maryville is where you will want to be. The school system is among the best in Tennessee.

Blount County schools do not even compare.

Alcoa schools are decent, but Alcoa is small and has little acreage available. Alcoa is basically north Maryville with a different government.

Personally, if I had school age children that would be attending public school, Maryville would be my first choice (by far) for all of east TN.

As mentioned, living in the county and paying tuition would be cost prohibitive, and IIRC there are very limited spots available, if any.

Finding a house that meets your needs and has acreage within the city limits will be difficult.

Demand is very high due to the quality of life and the growth in the area.

There are some small farms still left in south Maryville but most of them are outside the city limits.

If you are willing to build, this lot (Zillow) has 29.31 acres for $400k and it may be within the city limits, but you will have to check. It is surrounded by homes and subdivisions, and is one of the few undeveloped tracts in the area.

Most of the counties in the state use the state's tax assessment website to maintain online records, and it is a great resource for getting information but search entries have very specific syntax.

Most of the time I use search to find something in an area using the street name and then use the map and its identify function to zero in on a property.

https://www.assessment.cot.tn.gov/RE_Assessment/

Tax info for Zillow listing above (map link on page)

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Handsome_Rob

If you have five school age children then Maryville is where you will want to be. The school system is among the best in Tennessee.

Alcoa schools are decent, but Alcoa is small and has little acreage available. Alcoa is basically north Maryville with a different government.

Personally, if I had school age children that would be attending public school, Maryville would be my first choice (by far) for all of east TN.

As mentioned, living in the county and paying tuition would be cost prohibitive, and IIRC there are very limited spots available, if any.

Finding a house that meets your needs and has acreage within the city limits will be difficult.

There are some small farms still left in south Maryville but most of them are outside the city limits.

If you are willing to build, this lot (Zillow) has 29.31 acres for $400k and it may be within the city limits, but you will have to check. It is surrounded by homes and subdivisions, and is one of the few undeveloped tracts in the area.

Most of the counties in the state use the state's tax assessment website to maintain online records, and it is a great resource for getting information but search entries have very specific syntax.

Most of the time I use search to find something in an area using the street name and then use the map and its identify function to zero in on a property.

Good luck!

View Quote

vkeith,

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful information.  We're super close on a property that seems to fit our needs, and we have a close second down near Chattanooga.  The next couple of weeks should have everything locked down.  I'm hoping for the one in Blount County though, since it'll put my kiddos closer to family.  

Thanks again
Rob

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Right now like the rest of the country, houses are hot, real hot and moving fast.

That being said, you're kind of in a specialty market in my mind as needing at least 5+ bedrooms. I would check www.realtor.com and go from there. You can input the amount of bedrooms and a radius to work from. 3 hours within Bristol is a pretty big area, that pretty much takes you to right at Chattanooga to the south.
View Quote

All of this.  Anything Chattanooga or further east will be within the distance range you want.  We've seen a lot of 3-4 bedrooms with finished basement, so that might be an option as well.

Local search here:  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Hamilton-County_TN/beds-5/pnd-hide

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Maryville and around Maryville Blount County were always known for aggressive traffic policing. Not sure about today though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maryville and around Maryville Blount County were always known for aggressive traffic policing. Not sure about today though.
View Quote

They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be except for BCSO and THP on the Tail of the Dragon. Anything over 40 mph will get you a ticket there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Handsome_Rob

Good luck!

View Quote

Alcoa schools are among the best in the state. It is a very desirable area because of the school system and proximity to Knoxville. Housing in Alcoa itself is almost nonexistent though.

The lot you linked off Niles Ferry is a great area, I used to live off Carpenters Campground near there. It will be not be zoned for Maryville CITY schools though, only county. Bis distinction between the 2.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#31]
If you’re looking in Cleveland, look at the opposite side of the river also. Dayton still has some nice land available that is reasonable, but it’s changing. Dayton is a nice small town. I live near Dunlap and never thought a housing rush would occur here. It’s here, right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They aren't nearly as bad as they used to be except for BCSO and THP on the Tail of the Dragon. Anything over 40 mph will get you a ticket there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I closed on a place outside of Maryville. I’m just off 129 toward the tail of the dragon. Tonight is our first night here. What are y’all using for internet?  Spectrum and most of the internet providers do not service the area. It seems the only one that’s available is AT&T and that’s at 10mb speeds. Any other reliable options?

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I closed on a place outside of Maryville. I’m just off 129 toward the tail of the dragon. Tonight is our first night here. What are y’all using for internet?  Spectrum and most of the internet providers do not service the area. It seems the only one that’s available is AT&T and that’s at 10mb speeds. Any other reliable options?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations on finding a place in the area. I think you will like it here as long as you don't expect all the conveniences of a big city.

Looks like you have discovered that east TN is lagging behind in technology. Rollout of fiber in this area has been very slow and usually only in the metro areas.

Charter (Spectrum) and Comcast (Xfinity) are the fastest options if fiber service is not available. AT&T DSL is usually the only other wired option which is probably what you are looking at.

As far out of town as you are, you will probably be lucky if you can actually see 10Mbs speeds with DSL.

Speeds go down the further you are from the central office (CO [next to AutoZone on Hall Rd.]) or DSL access modules (DSLAMs [the tan and brown boxes by the road]).

The only other options would be to see if a wireless internet service provider (WISP) is available in your area or to use a cellular modem if you get a decent cell signal.

Starlink is starting to rollout their service on a limited basis in some areas so you could check on availability at your location.

I do not recommend any of the other satellite options as they are overpriced and very restrictive of data usage, plus the latency is horrible.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 mb speed? Might as well hookup the old 28800 modem

Like the others have said, getting out into the country can kill you on internet/cable services. At that speed, streaming will absolutely suck.

From what I understand most satellite services suck and like the others have said, throttle back on your bandwith.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top