Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 5:08:10 PM EDT
So much of Maine is tied to poor internet service or, ugh, satillite service that is $$$$.  Now, however, there is an alternative that you should look into:  Starlink brought to you by Elon Musk.  

They have put up the beginnings of a mesh of satillites that exceeds 1000 that extends from Maine to Alaska.  The mesh will eventually cover most of the places on earth that have NO Internet and will offer, for the first time, the ability to simply plug in a small dish and literally just plug it in.  

I registered my address here in Mid-Coastal Maine with Starlink and within about 2 months they contacted me and told me I was now covered by part of the mesh.  I ordered the "kit" which cost $400 from them containing the dish and wireless router.  I came about 2 months later.  Now do NOT compare this to ANY other dish or satillite system.  These satillites are in low earth orbit so latency is VERY short allowing for voice without delays.  The antenna will actually move and attach itself to individual satillites as they move overhead.  Yep, they move.  The are not in geosyncronous orbit 1000 miles out.  They are very low and the signal is really strong.  Here's what I did just 1 hour ago.

I literally walked the dish connected to the power supply and router, and stuck it into my open trailer.  It has a good view of the open sky.  I then uncoiled the 100' of cable into my garage about 15' away.   I closed the garage door and plugged in the power supply.  Then I put the router on top of my gun safe and went into my office. No cables to plug in or switches to throw.  This is all I did.

I went to my Chrome laptop and opened setup to see if the router showed up.  There it was!  Starlink 40831.  I clicked on it and the laptop was online with Starlink bouncing signals off of low-orbit satellites.  I felt.......important!  The first thing I did was do a speed test. All of this in less than 15 minutes

First test, 65 down and 25 up.  Nothing to write home about except my current DSL is only giving me 25 down and 1 up.  (yep, 1 up!).  I then checked it again.  This time I got speeds in excess of 80 up (up to 175 once) and 45 up.  This was to Washington DC, too, not Boston or Portland, ME. 

A drooling idiot could put this together which is a testament to it's design which is so simple.    Imagine all those 3rd world countries who will have access to the 'net for the first time.  It's really astounding.  My research of the reviews all tell the same story.  If you have Comcast Cable and a hard line pumping speeds in excess of 100 both ways this system is not for you.  If, however, someone is like you and me where there are no alternatives to DSL or, God Forbid, nothing at all, this will be a tremendous asset.  Right now there are NO data caps.  Cost is supposed to be about $95/mo for the unlimited service.  Well worth it imho.  I xfered this to my phone as well as my laptop.  I'm going to use it for my TV internet as well.  The speeds will produce excellent 4k pictures compared to the DSL. 

Fellow shooters I encourage you to join the "jet age" with this new technology.  There is a LOT of information out there on youtube and the 'net.  Check it out and you too will be enjoying super fast internet for the first time!  I'd be happy to answer any questions if you got 'em.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
will do.  This is considered a "beta" trial but so far I'm impressed with the speeds which blow out the DSL I'm using. It has much improved my flat screen TV pic so I get the full 1080i and not 720 with DSL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
hmph i reserved and paid months ago in western maine... nothing yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My up to 100 Comcast service in Nashua seldom makes it up to 65 and never better.  Often it is far worse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hmph i reserved and paid months ago in western maine... nothing yet.
View Quote

Be patient.  I waited 2 months anyway then, all of a sudden, it popped up!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Also still waiting for this in western Maine. They took my “pre-order” on 2/9.

I hope Elon hurrys the hell up as very slow DSL is still the only game in town for us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that the service is already available to most of the upper half of Maine, anyway, maybe even all of Maine.  But the issue that seems to be taking time is bringing on new users, producing the antennas and getting them out to future subscribers.  They may also be watching the configuration of the 'net they have created.  I don't know.  I do know they want as many people on it as possible as soon as possible from what I'ver read.  I waited four months for my kit to arrive.  So, stay patient, it'll get there.  If I'm not mistaken, you can go to Starlink.com and search for a delivery date.  Try it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
$500 for hardware, plus $100 a month?! Nope, I'll suffer with my poor cell service until I can get a booster set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top