Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2022 9:02:43 PM EDT
Hello all,

As the title states my father recently passed away. He left behind a couple of handguns that my mother has asked me to take ownership of.

I have purchased pistols in the past, both from FFLs and from private sellers, but I have not had to ever deal with this before.

Do I have to fill out an RI-060 form for each pistol? In the "seller" portion of the form, would my mother put her name, or something else that states she is acting as the executor of the estate?

My mother is looking to keep one pistol for herself, does she need to fill out an RI-060 as well, or get in touch with her local PD to let them know my father passed away and to update their information?
I do have my CPL, which should hopefully expedite this process.

Thanks in advance!

John
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
From Section 28.422 of the Firearm Laws of Michigan

(8)  This  section  does not  prevent  the  transfer  of  ownership of  pistols  to  an  heir  or devisee,  whether  by  testamentary  bequest or by the  laws of intestacy  regardless of whether  the  pistol  is registered  with  this  state.  An individual  who has inherited  a pistol shall obtain a license  as required in this section within 30 days of taking physical possession of the pistol.  The license may  be  signed  by  a  next  of  kin  of  the  decedent  or  the  person  authorized  to  dispose  of  property  under  the  estates  and  protected individuals  code,  1998  PA  386,  MCL  700.1101  to  700.8206,  including  when  the  next  of  kin  is  the  individual  inheriting  the pistol.  If  the  heir  or  devisee  is  not  qualified  for  a  license  under  this  section,  the  heir  or  devisee  may  direct  the  next  of  kin or  person  authorized  to  dispose  of  property  under  the  estates  and  protected  individuals  code,  1998  PA  386,  MCL  700.1101 to  700.8206,  to  dispose  of  the  pistol  in  any  manner  that  is  lawful  and  the  heir  or  devisee  considers  appropriate.  The  person authorized  to  dispose  of  property  under  the  estates  and  protected  individuals  code,  1998  PA  386,  MCL  700.1101  to  700.8206, is not required to obtain a license under this section if he or she takes temporary lawful possession  of the pistol in the process of  disposing  of  the  pistol  pursuant  to  the  decedent's  testamentary  bequest  or  the  laws  of  intestacy.

So if your mom wants one, she would need to get a permit to purchase from the local PD, fill it out as seller and buyer, then you as a CPL holder would need to fill out the ri-060 and have it signed by your mother.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the kind words and replies,

This makes more sense to me now that you have both provided info.

I will relay all of this info to her when I see her again tomorrow.

I appreciate the info, as I was having a hard time figuring all of this out.

Thanks again!

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top