Posted: 1/25/2020 3:48:26 PM EDT
Anyone hear any update on the HB 961 ?

SBRs
Silencers
Standard Mags
AR15 variants
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Word is they are revising it, to what extent is unknown, and then will vote on it
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Word is they are revising it, to what extent is unknown, and then will vote on it
View Quote
Source?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
From Cam Edwards on Bearing Arms.com

Read the article
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone hear any update on the HB 961 ?

SBRs
Silencers
Standard Mags
AR15 variants
View Quote
From what the governor is saying they are planning to update the text that allows you to keep it with registry. My guess is that they will allow for an extended amount of time instead of the July 2020 deadline they were originally planning. From what I heard, they will allow you to register up until 2025 with the state police, and the state police has to run a background on you by 2027 or so and if they find you ineligible, they'll come and take it (another confiscation scheme).  It also sounds like they're going to allow maniciples to decide if they want to "allow" anyone with registered weapons in their city. I believe this only applies to the rifle/pistol itself, not anything else. Magazines, and silencers still must go. From what the bill is describing, it sounds like any magazine that has a removable base plate must go even if they hold 10 rounds or less. So this means a lot of 1911 aftermarket magazines probably can't be used.

I don't believe they are doing this in our favor. I believe they are doing this as a solid way to ensure it holds up in court. The way the text is written, it sounds like they are essentially not allowing you to own future property (such as guns, magazines, suppressors, etc). It's not saying that it is "illegal" to have, per say, only that if you're caught with it, then you are charged with the crime. So if it goes to court, they can say they are not taking your guns, they are allowing citizens to keep their properties by way of registry, and they are imposing new limits, not limits on previously owned items.

Overall the end bill will not be good.

Other developments include West Virginia working on a bill to allow manciple's in Virginia to join the state, essentially erasing any laws Virginia passes. Should any counties or cities do this, it will be a historical event not seen since the civil war (when West Virginia was created). There are also record number of people moving to West Virginia. I don't have exact numbers and I don't think there ever will be. It'll be a very interesting year to see how all this plays out. I have no doubt HB961 will pass in its current form and I believe a few GOP will vote in favor of it as well. I believe they are just tweaking the dates and some minor text to make sure it holds up in courts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The magazine baseplate thing is the dumbest thing ever and most likely to be ignored and thrown out in court.  If you get caught carrying a Glock 10 round magazine and get arrested it will be the dumbest thing ever.  Shit, just carry the 17 rounder.   I’ll be interested to see how that’s implemented, if at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Magazines, and silencers still must go.
View Quote
Why?

Suppressors (aka silencers) are already highly regulated and no crime (or less than handful) has been committed with suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why?

Suppressors (aka silencers) are already highly regulated and no crime (or less than handful) has been committed with suppressors.
View Quote
because Dude in Tidewater used one,

thus bad,  despite the fact he legally owned it,
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, since they are very hard to sell, a lot of money is going down the drain.

Also, ar15s have been used for crimes as well, but they will get grandfathered, but not suppressors?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The magazine baseplate thing is the dumbest thing ever and most likely to be ignored and thrown out in court.  If you get caught carrying a Glock 10 round magazine and get arrested it will be the dumbest thing ever.  Shit, just carry the 17 rounder.   I’ll be interested to see how that’s implemented, if at all.
View Quote
I have not seen any Glock magazine without removable base plate. So, they are basically banning all Glock or similar handguns even with less than 10 rounds?
wow
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
None of this has ANYTHING to do with crime.

It has EVERYTHING to do with making It harder for you to stay in Virginia. They need Lebensraum for their vision of a Leftist Utopia. YOU are not welcomed. Take a hint.

They are not even pretending it is about preventing crime. STOP trying to rationalize it they way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It has EVERYTHING to do with making It harder for you to stay in Virginia. They need Lebensraum for their vision of a Leftist Utopia. YOU are not welcomed. Take a hint.

They are not even pretending it is about preventing crime. STOP trying to rationalize it they way.
View Quote
Yes, I know. It sucks, I just wanted to vent and all. I just need to figure out how to minimize the financial impact when i need to get rid of my suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
This says it quite well. I would only add the following: (not my quote, but it sums up the situation very nicely)

LIBERALS SO DESPERATELY WANT US DISARMED
BECAUSE THEY HATE THAT WE HOLD A VETO
OVER THEIR VENEZUELAN DREAMS.
BUT THEY ALSO WANT US DISARMED BECAUSE
THEY HATE US, AND THEY YEARN TO BREAK US
AND HUMILIATE US AND MAKE US GIVE IN.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
@Hansohn Brothers

What's your take on this suppressor ban?

I got two cans from you and I just want to know what you think and suggest for the ban.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Even the 5-round AICS style mags for bolt guns have a removable base plate and would be banned under this garbage law.  It is effectively a complete ban on detachable magazines of any capacity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#17]
They don't currently have the votes for HB961 in the Senate and are working to change that before crossover.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They don't currently have the votes for HB961 in the Senate and are working to change that before crossover.
View Quote
Source?  And to get the votes, what, registration?  Some other unacceptable compromise?

I hope to hear there are some D's in the senate that would not vote for it at all.  Although Dunnovent might help overcome that
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#19]
There been a lot of rumors some have filtered into the papers.  I work in politics, and so I speak with many of the players.  The Sen Dems that are not currently on board are more opposed based on the practicality of implementing the bill.  In principle an AWB should pass, but like everything it's a lot more complicated when you actually have to implement it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From what the governor is saying they are planning to update the text that allows you to keep it with registry. My guess is that they will allow for an extended amount of time instead of the July 2020 deadline they were originally planning. From what I heard, they will allow you to register up until 2025 with the state police, and the state police has to run a background on you by 2027 or so and if they find you ineligible, they'll come and take it (another confiscation scheme).  It also sounds like they're going to allow maniciples to decide if they want to "allow" anyone with registered weapons in their city. I believe this only applies to the rifle/pistol itself, not anything else. Magazines, and silencers still must go. From what the bill is describing, it sounds like any magazine that has a removable base plate must go even if they hold 10 rounds or less. So this means a lot of 1911 aftermarket magazines probably can't be used.

I don't believe they are doing this in our favor. I believe they are doing this as a solid way to ensure it holds up in court. The way the text is written, it sounds like they are essentially not allowing you to own future property (such as guns, magazines, suppressors, etc). It's not saying that it is "illegal" to have, per say, only that if you're caught with it, then you are charged with the crime. So if it goes to court, they can say they are not taking your guns, they are allowing citizens to keep their properties by way of registry, and they are imposing new limits, not limits on previously owned items.

Other developments include West Virginia working on a bill to allow manciple's in Virginia to join the state, essentially erasing any laws Virginia passes. Should any counties or cities do this, it will be a historical event not seen since the civil war (when West Virginia was created). There are also record number of people moving to West Virginia. I don't have exact numbers and I don't think there ever will be. It'll be a very interesting year to see how all this plays out. I have no doubt HB961 will pass in its current form and I believe a few GOP will vote in favor of it as well. I believe they are just tweaking the dates and some minor text to make sure it holds up in courts.
View Quote
FYI to all, this piece of filth doesn't have any source for this. He's a worthless concern troll. He claims that he already modified his guns to be in compliance with proposed HB961 and we all should too.

Considering that this moron can't even spell municipalities, (pro tip a "manciple" is an officer or steward of a monastery, college, etc., authorized to purchase provisions) you really should take anything that he posts with a LARGE grain of salt.

Here's the actual reality, HB961 has run into a political wall. There are 4 Democrat State Senators who have categorically stated that they don't support any of the "assault weapons" bills that they have seen. One of them told the press that he doesn't think they will "get it done this year, as it is too complicated an issue."

Can they turn that back around? Perhaps. The media is certainly trying to push them in that direction. But this poster wants you to throw in the towel and give up. HE IS NOT A FRIEND.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI to all, this piece of filth doesn't have any source for this. He's a worthless concern troll. He claims that he already modified his guns to be in compliance with proposed HB961 and we all should too.

Considering that this moron can't even spell municipalities, (pro tip a "manciple" is an officer or steward of a monastery, college, etc., authorized to purchase provisions) you really should take anything that he posts with a LARGE grain of salt.

Here's the actual reality, HB961 has run into a political wall. There are 4 Democrat State Senators who have categorically stated that they don't support any of the "assault weapons" bills that they have seen. One of them told the press that he doesn't think they will "get it done this year, as it is too complicated an issue."

Can they turn that back around? Perhaps. The media is certainly trying to push them in that direction. But this poster wants you to throw in the towel and give up. HE IS NOT A FRIEND.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have stated before that the Dems will probably bypass the AWB until they have strengthened their hold on the GA in 2021. They have Va now and don't want to lose it.
Not that any of their other bullshit is good or ok.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You seem to post after every post I make. You claim "I'm not a friend" yet you counterpost as if everything is going to be okay. It seems like what you're saying is we're at the two spectrums of the bell curve.

With that said, I'll research what you said, then how about you research what I said? Okay, here we go.

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/lewis-among-moderate-democrats-not-completely-sold-on-all-proposed-gun-control-measures/

He’s one of at least four moderate senators – the others are Sens. Chap Petersen, Creigh Deeds and Lynwood Lewis – who are skeptical of plans to ban assault weapons. None of them has ruled out voting for an assault weapon ban, but all have said they aren’t impressed with any of the drafts of proposed bans they’ve seen
Now this sounds very hopeful to a lot of folks. Keep in mind a lot of senators and house members are saying they are skeptical but eventually always vote in party line when it comes time to vote. The bolded text above is very important because it gives a clue.

None of these means anything at all. Until the bill is on the floor, voted on, and fails, will I believe any of it. Until there, I'm going to go 100% that they will pass these bills without issue. No one is going to turn their backs on their own party because let's face it, Bloomberg and Soros gave them billions of their dollars. What makes more sense? That they somehow betray their mega donor just to appease what they call the "minority" of the Virginia population, or do they go along with the platform they ran on?

You claim that I spread the idea that you should give up. I am not. Not once I said that. I submit instead, that you are the one who claims we shouldn't have anything to worry about. The above article about the 4 democrats not in favor of the AWB is the left's ploy to get your guards down. They want you to forget about it and they can slip in a surprise midnight vote to get it into law with little protest or knowledge.

ITS THE SAME DAMN TACTIC THEY USED IN NEW YORK Really go look it up. The exact same playbook. Some politicians there said they weren't going to vote in favor of it, blah, blah, and in 48 hours, they drafted, brought it to the floor, voted, passed, and slipped it into the governor's desk to sign. It might not be HB961, or SB16, but an entirely new bill. Again this is all a ploy to get your guards down. If at any point in time they say they're going to vote on this bill, they know there's going to be a massive crowd. They have to figure out a way to slip this in undetected so it passes with minimal resistance. It might even have to wait until next year where the movement will lose momentum. I think that is the smarter playbook or they could do the midnight slip in tactic.

If anything, I don't think I'm the one who is "not your friend." If you read what I posted, I never once said you should give up. I said you should prepare, adapt, and prepare to vote in November. I also said whatever they're going to do this year, it's going to take years, if not decades to undo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You seem to post after every post I make. You claim "I'm not a friend" yet you counterpost as if everything is going to be okay. It seems like what you're saying is we're at the two spectrums of the bell curve.

With that said, I'll research what you said, then how about you research what I said? Okay, here we go.

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/lewis-among-moderate-democrats-not-completely-sold-on-all-proposed-gun-control-measures/

Now this sounds very hopeful to a lot of folks. Keep in mind a lot of senators and house members are saying they are skeptical but eventually always vote in party line when it comes time to vote. The bolded text above is very important because it gives a clue.

None of these means anything at all. Until the bill is on the floor, voted on, and fails, will I believe any of it. Until there, I'm going to go 100% that they will pass these bills without issue. No one is going to turn their backs on their own party because let's face it, Bloomberg and Soros gave them billions of their dollars. What makes more sense? That they somehow betray their mega donor just to appease what they call the "minority" of the Virginia population, or do they go along with the platform they ran on?

You claim that I spread the idea that you should give up. I am not. Not once I said that. I submit instead, that you are the one who claims we shouldn't have anything to worry about. The above article about the 4 democrats not in favor of the AWB is the left's ploy to get your guards down. They want you to forget about it and they can slip in a surprise midnight vote to get it into law with little protest or knowledge.

ITS THE SAME DAMN TACTIC THEY USED IN NEW YORK Really go look it up. The exact same playbook. Some politicians there said they weren't going to vote in favor of it, blah, blah, and in 48 hours, they drafted, brought it to the floor, voted, passed, and slipped it into the governor's desk to sign. It might not be HB961, or SB16, but an entirely new bill. Again this is all a ploy to get your guards down. If at any point in time they say they're going to vote on this bill, they know there's going to be a massive crowd. They have to figure out a way to slip this in undetected so it passes with minimal resistance. It might even have to wait until next year where the movement will lose momentum. I think that is the smarter playbook or they could do the midnight slip in tactic.

If anything, I don't think I'm the one who is "not your friend." If you read what I posted, I never once said you should give up. I said you should prepare, adapt, and prepare to vote in November. I also said whatever they're going to do this year, it's going to take years, if not decades to undo.
View Quote
You're a thorn in the side of this hometown board, and most of us dislike you.

A lot.

Were you at lobby day? You certainly weren't at the arf dinner.

And for the record? No new bills can be proposed for this session. They can modify one. But a new bill cannot be drafted if 961 is killed.

If It doesn't pass this year, they'll try again next year after they get a year to work on a few senators, gauge their hold in the state, and gun owner anger subsides.

Then again, they may not want to push it until after the 2021 election.

They cannot do a "midnight slip in". Crossover day is the 11th. It MUST be voted on by the house, and ready to cross over by then. They have time, but after that date, it can only be brought up in a special session later on.

You'll likely see it come up in committee on Friday of this week, and either get kicked to the firearms subcommittee on Tuesday, or straight out passed on that day.

Then it goes to the senate to go thru committee there. The house has shown zero restraint or sanity this session.

Your bullshit is tiring, and no one likes you. Cite a source for the change info, or get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s one of at least four moderate senators – the others are Sens. Chap Petersen, Creigh Deeds and Lynwood Lewis – who are skeptical of plans to ban assault weapons. None of them has ruled out voting for an assault weapon ban, but all have said they aren’t impressed with any of the drafts of proposed bans they’ve seen

You are a lying sack of trash, as usual. I never said everything was ok, far from it, but you want to throw in the towel and convince everyone else to cower with you.

You are the only moron that is running around saying that you’ve modified guns to fit a bill that hasn’t even made it from committee yet.

Listen, tard, you are a worthless piece of scum whose only purpose is to cower and defeat others. You want the chains. Take them. There were people like you in every conflict in history. But you don’t have the right to campaign for defeat with your defeatist attitude. I won’t be complying with anything Richmond passes and I’ll not be enforcing anything that passes either.

I know that infuriates you, as you want the company of other cowards, but too bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have stated before that the Dems will probably bypass the AWB until they have strengthened their hold on the GA in 2021. They have Va now and don't want to lose it.
Not that any of their other bullshit is good or ok.
View Quote
It's not about control of the GA that's what Gerrymandering and high density housing is for.  There are less competitive districts every year and the Dem electeds worry about a primary from the left far more than a general election loss because of a bad 2A vote.

They don't want to send the bill to the Senate and see it go down in flames.  That would be a huge national story and there would be hell to pay with their base.  If they can't get a bill that gives them a hard count in the senate they are better off sending everything else over.   They pass everything but the AWB and they can take a victory lap, and all the press focuses on the "meaningful gun violence prevention" that the new Dem majority passed in va.

Then work out the details of an AWB for next year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're a thorn in the side of this hometown board, and most of us dislike you.

A lot.

Were you at lobby day? You certainly weren't at the arf dinner.

And for the record? No new bills can be proposed for this session. They can modify one. But a new bill cannot be drafted if 961 is killed.

If It doesn't pass this year, they'll try again next year after they get a year to work on a few senators, gauge their hold in the state, and gun owner anger subsides.

Then again, they may not want to push it until after the 2021 election.

They cannot do a "midnight slip in". Crossover day is the 11th. It MUST be voted on by the house, and ready to cross over by then. They have time, but after that date, it can only be brought up in a special session later on.

You'll likely see it come up in committee on Friday of this week, and either get kicked to the firearms subcommittee on Tuesday, or straight out passed on that day.

Then it goes to the senate to go thru committee there. The house has shown zero restraint or sanity this session.

Your bullshit is tiring, and no one likes you. Cite a source for the change info, or get the fuck out.
View Quote
It's never about who likes me or not. If I am to cite a source, I want you to cite a source. None of what you said has any footing other than guesses and approximation.

And for the record, how do you know I wasn't at lobby day? Or where I was? Are you following me around? It seems like you're saying I'm not allowed to make up "bullshit" yet here you are spraying it all over the wall.

You keep saying I "give up." I have no idea what that even means. Just because I'm in compliance and don't want to be caught with my pants down doesn't mean I "give up." (Again not sure what that even means in the context of this forum).
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's never about who likes me or not. If I am to cite a source, I want you to cite a source. None of what you said has any footing other than guesses and approximation.
And for the record, how do you know I wasn't at lobby day? Or where I was? Are you following me around? It seems like you're saying I'm not allowed to make up "bullshit" yet here you are spraying it all over the wall.
You keep saying I "give up." I have no idea what that even means. Just because I'm in compliance and don't want to be caught with my pants down doesn't mean I "give up." (Again not sure what that even means in the context of this forum).
View Quote
WTF is compliance?  Have you actually altered your firearms?  We don't even know what compliance would look like if something were to pass.

You speculation on the bill is wrong.  Nobody is talking about grandfathering up until 2027.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WTF is compliance?  Have you actually altered your firearms?  We don't even know what compliance would look like if something were to pass.

You speculation on the bill is wrong.  Nobody is talking about grandfathering up until 2027.
View Quote
I only did two things in prep:

1) I bought mag locks. I tried drilling one out and it is super easy with a drill. You can’t remove the magazine at all.  Everything else on my rifle is the same. The cost of the maglock is under $20 so I figure I’d buy some in prep.  I bought  extras to give to friends and folks at the range if they want it. It’s so easy to do that it takes 2 minutes to install and about 15 minutes to uninstall with a drill bit.

2) I bought a lot of 10 rounders that include the base plate locks. If anything these magazines are twice as strong as the factory since they build it so well to keep you from altering the base plates. So I’m not unhappy with the purchase and if nothing happens I have some reliable magazines.

That’s it. Hardly “altering” firearms but the two people above me seem to be fixated on me having some sort of weird rifle. I think when they think “compliance” they’re thinking the ny style rifle with the weird hand guard and grip. I may have explained the cost of it and perhaps they were confusing that with me having actually done it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1) I bought mag locks. I tried drilling one out and it is super easy with a drill. You can’t remove the magazine at all.  Everything else on my rifle is the same. The cost of the maglock is under $20 so I figure I’d buy some in prep.  I bought  extras to give to friends and folks at the range if they want it. It’s so easy to do that it takes 2 minutes to install and about 15 minutes to uninstall with a drill bit.

2) I bought a lot of 10 rounders that include the base plate locks. If anything these magazines are twice as strong as the factory since they build it so well to keep you from altering the base plates. So I’m not unhappy with the purchase and if nothing happens I have some reliable magazines.

That’s it. Hardly “altering” firearms but the two people above me seem to be fixated on me having some sort of weird rifle. I think when they think “compliance” they’re thinking the ny style rifle with the weird hand guard and grip. I may have explained the cost of it and perhaps they were confusing that with me having actually done it.
View Quote
I'm not an expert on this topic, but I don't think this "over-reacting" type of behavior helps to fight this battle. It only discourages people IMO.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also, ar15s have been used for crimes as well, but they will get grandfathered, but not suppressors?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just the thought of wanting to have one of each makes you a very very bad person,

very bad,

and yes,  a hard sell on the secondary market,
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#31]
The real damage is if the preemption repeal goes through.  Every koolaid-drinking socialist board is going to pass their own nonsense, and we'll be stuck with a patchwork of tyranny every time we want to leave our property, some of which will likely make HB 961 look tame.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have no idea what you're talking about so I'll break it down for you. In NY as long as we held the senate, the left couldn't do anything. We have exactly zero pro gun democrats in NY government. They simply don't exist. Once the senate was lost, there was no opposition what so ever to ANY gun control legislation. None what so ever. Cuomo went one step further by envoking what is called a 'message of necessity' in getting the SAFE Act passed. In NYS a bill has to be printed and on all legislators desks for 72 hours before they can call for a vote. By issuing the 'message of necessity', Cuomo was able to wave the 72 hours, and call for a vote the same day the bill was published.

My advice for my brothers and sisters who are now behind enemy lines is identify the vulnerable democrats and put pressure on them to vote this down. Find the supportive democrats and reinforce that you will support them come reelection if they vote this down. You still have some leverage so use it. NY is lost due to too many different factors. VA has a chance. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1) I bought mag locks. I tried drilling one out and it is super easy with a drill. You can't remove the magazine at all.  Everything else on my rifle is the same. The cost of the maglock is under $20 so I figure I'd buy some in prep.  I bought  extras to give to friends and folks at the range if they want it. It's so easy to do that it takes 2 minutes to install and about 15 minutes to uninstall with a drill bit.
2) I bought a lot of 10 rounders that include the base plate locks. If anything these magazines are twice as strong as the factory since they build it so well to keep you from altering the base plates. So I'm not unhappy with the purchase and if nothing happens I have some reliable magazines.
That's it. Hardly "altering" firearms but the two people above me seem to be fixated on me having some sort of weird rifle. I think when they think "compliance" they're thinking the ny style rifle with the weird hand guard and grip. I may have explained the cost of it and perhaps they were confusing that with me having actually done it.
View Quote
It's not compliance when there is nothing to comply with.  Nor is it "prep" if you don't have a clue what you are preparing for.
Do whatever you want, I don't care.  And its silly for others to imply your stupidity has wider implications.  But you are pretty consistently dead wrong from what I've seen on this thread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magazines, and silencers still must go.
Why?

See that's the mistake you made.  You're trying to apply logic to a Democrat proposed unconstitutional law.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I don't think this "over-reacting" type of behavior helps to fight this battle. It only discourages people IMO.
View Quote
True, but keep in mind it takes 0 effort to be both "fighting this battle" and at the same time preparing for the worst. It's sort of the opposite of panic buying. You don't have to do only 1 thing, nor did I told anyone to do only one thing. I always said continue to do what you're doing but at the same time prepare for the worst. I also tell folks to go ahead and buy some more ammo. You just never know what can happen. It only takes 1 event nationally for the governor to call an emergency session this year and kick start restrictive bills.

Keep in mind in New York, they did the same thing. A national event occurred, they wrote and drafted the bill in 48 hours. We'd have a sum of 0% chance in such a case. Do you really want to be caught with your pants down? Imagine for a second they pass bills that restrict ammo sales online or they impose an even stricter version of their AWB?

The session is definitely not over. The fight is all year long. It's 365 days, at any point in time all the governor has to do is call for an emergency session. He can't tell them what to vote on, or what bills they have to introduce but he can make a speech and say he needs some new gun bills to pass.

So hell no, if you guys think this HB961, or SB16 are over once they don't vote on it, then you're entirely crazy. All it takes is 1 event to happen nationally, which it will this year, and the governor can call an emergency session. It's the exact same thing that happens in a lot of states that passes their AWB. They know people will put up a fight if they take it slow. I think the democrats made a mistake by introducing SB16 last July during the emergency session and it built a slow momentum as people who were thought to be paranoid, "concern trolls" as someone puts it but eventually the entire state and nation became aware of it. It will happen again this year and it has the best chance of passing. So yes, fight the good fight, but you better also prepare yourself for the worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#38]
The good news is there are some Democrats in the house starting to say they will not support rifle and magazine bans .

KEEP UP THE PRESSURE MAKE THEM FEAR FOR THEIR LUCRATIVE POSITIONS !
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes keep up the pressure and get the Dems out of office.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Bold predictions on the House AWB:

1. It will make it out of committee in the House (the sponsor, Levine, chairs the committee).
2. Result in full House floor vote unknown but will be close.
3. Will not pass Senate, if it gets a vote at all. At least one D Senator (Lyn Lewis from the Eastern Shore) has said multiple times he's a hard "no" on any AWB or magazine ban.

The limited repeal of preemption only permits localities to ban guns from public buildings, public parks, and "permitted events" (meaning large gatherings where an event/parade permit has been issued). It would NOT allow localities to enact any restrictions on the types of firearms or magazines that people may possess generally.

The real danger is next year, when they have more time to focus on a politically palatable AWB, now that the rest of the nuisance-level bills are done this year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The real danger is next year, when they have more time to focus on a politically palatable AWB, now that the rest of the nuisance-level bills are done this year.
View Quote
This.  Most of the D objections are on process not any philosophical opposition to an AWB.

It's a complicated bill and they really didn't start to draft it seriously until after Nov. 5.  Wasn't enough time for them to come up with something that wasn't half baked.  If leadership decides that's the way to go they have a year to draft it and put pressure on the 2-3 Senators with philosophical misgivings.  That's more than enough time.  The biggest obstacle is the Senate, and the Sen. Majority leader proposed SB16.

It can't be overstated how little most of these Dems care about sanctuary cities or the turnout at lobby day.  They see us as a vocal minority that can't produce numbers on election day.  The vast majority of them simply don't have enough Rs in their districts to worry about a General election and are more concerned about keeping pace with their rapidly radicalizing party.

As for Lynwood Lewis, I'm glad he's breaking with Northam.  But just remember, 7 years ago Ralph Northam held that Senate seat and an A rating from the NRA.  The Dems have gone off the deep end, and none can be trusted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.  Most of the D objections are on process not any philosophical opposition to an AWB.

It's a complicated bill and they really didn't start to draft it seriously until after Nov. 5.  Wasn't enough time for them to come up with something that wasn't half baked.  If leadership decides that's the way to go they have a year to draft it and put pressure on the 2-3 Senators with philosophical misgivings.  That's more than enough time.  The biggest obstacle is the Senate, and the Sen. Majority leader proposed SB16.

It can't be overstated how little most of these Dems care about sanctuary cities or the turnout at lobby day.  They see us as a vocal minority that can't produce numbers on election day.  The vast majority of them simply don't have enough Rs in their districts to worry about a General election and are more concerned about keeping pace with their rapidly radicalizing party.

As for Lynwood Lewis, I'm glad he's breaking with Northam.  But just remember, 7 years ago Ralph Northam held that Senate seat and an A rating from the NRA.  The Dems have gone off the deep end, and none can be trusted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally speaking, they are correct. Their side is far better at getting voters to the poll.
Plus the Va GOP leadership is generally unconcerned with winning.

I can see them hold off the AWB until the strengthen their hold on the GA in 2021.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The real damage is if the preemption repeal goes through.  Every koolaid-drinking socialist board is going to pass their own nonsense, and we'll be stuck with a patchwork of tyranny every time we want to leave our property, some of which will likely make HB 961 look tame.  
View Quote
If you read the preemption law, I don't see anything that stops a locality from passing laws specifically looser than state law. It says they can pass any ordnance they like.  So you could actually toss some teeth into the "we won't enforce that shit" in the sanctuary movement.

If it passes all the way, we need to beat the liberals to the punch on that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Agreed. Between that and the RFL is will be a shit show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. Between that and the RFL is will be a shit show.
HB 421 Firearms, ammunition, etc.; control by localities by governing possession, etc., within locality.
Introduced by: Marcia S. "Cia" Price
SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Control of firearms by localities. Grants localities authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, or motion governing the possession, carrying, storage, or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in the locality. Various provisions limiting such authority are repealed. Provisions limiting the authority of localities and state governmental entities to bring lawsuits against certain firearms manufacturers and others are also repealed.

The bill also provides an exception to the requirement that an ordinance enacted regarding the disposition of certain firearms acquired by localities must provide that any firearm received be offered for sale by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer. The bill allows such ordinance to provide that if the individual surrendering the firearm requests in writing that the firearm be destroyed, then such firearm will be destroyed by the locality.
01/30/20  House: Read third time and passed House (50-Y 48-N)
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+HB421

Summaries of the gun safety legislation which passed the house today (1-30-2020):

HB 2 enforces universal background checks on gun transfers, eliminating existing loopholes. These background checks exist in 20 states, lowering homicide and suicide rates. 91 percent of Virginians support universal background checks. Delegate Kenneth Plum introduced HB 2.

HB 9 requires gun owners to report lost or stolen firearms within 24 hours to law enforcement and penalizes those who fail to do so with a $250 fine. This bill intends to alert law enforcement promptly, to assist with efforts to find a stolen firearm and keep it from entering the criminal market. Too many guns flow out of Virginia into other states and on to their streets, disproportionately affecting communities of color in urban settings. Delegate Jeffrey Bourne is the patron of this bill.

HB 421 allows localities the authority to regulate the possession, carrying, storage or transport of firearms, ammunition, components, or any combination of those things. It would also authorize localities that choose to create firearm-buyback programs to destroy any surrendered firearms if a written request is made. This legislation was carried by Delegate Cia Price.

HB 674 intends to grant judges the authority to issue an emergency Substantial Risk Protective Order, prohibiting a person deemed a risk to themselves or others from purchasing, possessing, or transporting a firearm for the duration of the order. These temporary orders would expire after 14 days (though a judge, after a hearing, may then enter a longer-term protective order if one is necessary), allowing the individual time to seek the mental health help they need. Democratic Caucus Chair Rip Sullivan served as the patron of this bill.

HB 812 would reinstate the one-gun-per-month limit on the number of guns an individual may purchase, unless they are a licensed firearms dealer. This law would help law enforcement decrease the number of handguns being redirected to the unregulated market. This bill was introduced by Delegate Jeion Ward.

HB 1004 would make it a Class 6 felony for someone subject to a protective order to knowingly possess a firearm. The law would give 24 hours for a person covered by a protective order to sell or transfer their gun. Virginia currently does not prevent persons convicted of misdemeanor domestic-violence offenses from purchasing or possessing firearms. When an abuser has access to firearms, the risk of intimate partner homicide increases by 400 percent. Delegate Mike Mullin was the patron of HB 1004.

HB 1083: Recklessly leaving loaded, unsecured firearms around minors under the age of 18 where individuals are at risk of death or injury would be classified as a Class 6 felony. Preventing young people from accessing firearms protects not only that child or family, but the entire community. Delegate Cliff Hayes introduced this legislation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't see them pressing the issue in a house election year and 30 day session.

I could be wrong of course, and if republicans get slaughtered this November it will embolden them.

However, if republicans do well, they may see it as dangerous to press it.

Either way, by July 1 2022, if they hold the house, senate and governor, VA will have some sort of awb.

Bank on it.

I think they'll possibly try a soft mag ban next year. Perhaps either 15-20 round limit and an import but not possession ban, thats completely un enforceable, but gives them a 'we banned high capacity blah blah' without making Bob the democrat a felon for his glock 19.

The alternate universe option is a repeat of 1994, (ish) where places like the eastern shore, Deeds district, and the places where dems won by a few percent flip back due to sustained gun owner rage. Sometimes it takes a wake up call.

But gun owners and other middle right people who dislike things like talking away parental consent for your 15 year old daughter getting an abortion need to be pissed and vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Of possible interest.  There are signs of some lack of support for Northam's/Levine's AWB.  Good.  Maybe common sense will prevail.

Sen. Lynwood Lewis will not comply
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I see two problematic misconceptions being stated in some of the posts here regarding the preemption repeal.

1.  While the Senate bill (SB35) only grants localities the ability to ban guns in government buildings and at permitted events, the House bill (HB421) is a complete repeal of preemption.   Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Richmond, etc. will be fully authorized to enact whatever ordinances they choose regarding the possession, carrying, transport, etc. of firearms.  This represents a complete destruction of our second amendment rights in these heavily democrat controlled localities.  By the time these county boards are done enacting ordinances, we should expect that many of them will be equal to or worse than the gun laws in DC, Chicago, and NYC.

2.  Nothing in either SB35 or HB421 in any way authorizes localities to loosen or ignore state firearms laws.  That’s not the way it works.  Your sheriff or CA may decline to arrest/prosecute violations of any new firearm laws depending on how strong they are, but it does not in any way prevent VSP from arresting you, nor will it enable FFLs to defy state law and continue selling firearms that may be banned by state law.

In short, there is nothing good that can possibly come of either SB35 or HB421, but HB421 is by far the worse bill.  For those of us living in NoVA, HB421 is arguably the worst and most extreme threat that we face in this session.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I see two problematic misconceptions being stated in some of the posts here regarding the preemption repeal.

1.  While the Senate bill (SB35) only grants localities the ability to ban guns in government buildings and at permitted events, the House bill (HB421) is a complete repeal of preemption.   Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Richmond, etc. will be fully authorized to enact whatever ordinances they choose regarding the possession, carrying, transport, etc. of firearms.  This represents a complete destruction of our second amendment rights in these heavily democrat controlled localities.  By the time these county boards are done enacting ordinances, we should expect that many of them will be equal to or worse than the gun laws in DC, Chicago, and NYC.

2.  Nothing in either SB35 or HB421 in any way authorizes localities to loosen or ignore state firearms laws.  That’s not the way it works.  Your sheriff or CA may decline to arrest/prosecute violations of any new firearm laws depending on how strong they are, but it does not in any way prevent VSP from arresting you, nor will it enable FFLs to defy state law and continue selling firearms that may be banned by state law.

In short, there is nothing good that can possibly come of either SB35 or HB421, but HB421 is by far the worse bill.  For those of us living in NoVA, HB421 is arguably the worst and most extreme threat that we face in this session.
View Quote
Thank God we have such a fine group of Constitution-upholding/defending, gun-loving patriots representing us (Levine, Saslaw, Helmer, Filler-Corn, ...I know I'm missing plenty more; sarc).
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#49]
3 dems voted against the RFL. Interesting.

Carter was among them. He kept his word.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
3 dems voted against the RFL. Interesting.

Carter was among them. He kept his word.
View Quote
I wonder wondering about that. He’s still a commie POS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top