Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 8:39:24 PM EDT
Just curious, as I have tried to find some info, but it seems outdated.

Are there  nuke/fallout shelters in the Lake County area? Safe place to go in the event of the “big one”?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no "safe place."
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think thats a thing anymore. Good luck in your quest I'm interested to see if anything exists. FEMA has a fairly recent unique downloadable doc that explores a 10/100 kiloton event with fallout and blast considerations, cause you are on your own. .gov does Hurricane shelters in FL.  

https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_planning-guidance-response-nuclear-detonation.pdf

link probably isn't hot just cut and paste it maybe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Tbh in the extremely unlikely event of a nuclear exchange, would you even want to live through that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
They had fallout shelters when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tbh in the extremely unlikely event of a nuclear exchange, would you even want to live through that?
View Quote

I mean, do I have to shave my head and wear chaps?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How many of you experienced this psychological program?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/766/atyomicbombdrill-2346961.jpg
View Quote

I hated doing that and knew, even as a kid, it was a waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless your in a direct blast zone. Most buildings built well will hold up.  My gov complex is all Cat 5 rated. The computer data center buildings around are too. Most schools are reinforced enough with thick inner concrete walls.
Some malls have well built basements. If you can get to them & in them would be the problem.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I would rather die quickly than die of radiation.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Hiroshima......current population 1.4 million   15 kiloton bomb

Nagasaki......current population 450K   21 kiloton bomb

If the soviet strategic nuclear forces perform as well as their conventional military forces I'm not sure we have much to worry about. China owns our debt they wouldn't make a strategic play. In a limited exchange or isolated incident radiation levels drop extremely fast outside the blast zone, 24-48 hours (80-90% drop), then 1-2 weeks(95-99% drop), if you didn't get burned by the flash you will probably survive the event. If you don't breath it, eat it, wallow in it and hide from it behind or under dirt, concrete or stacked up books, for a relatively short period of time you will survive the fallout if you weren't able to evacuate.

The chaos that follows with the possible lost of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tock and ARFCOM may be too much for many of us.    

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, duck-and-cover would have saved millions in a full scale nuclear exchange.

If you are in the radius of the actual blast, it does nothing.

But for all the people on the outskirts?  If you cover when you see the flash then you are protected from the glass of the windows blowing in when the blast front reaches you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's now abandoned, but he largest privately owned underground atomic bomb shelter in the US is/was under an orange grove in Mount Dora.
View Quote

That is interesting because I have heard Pat Frank  used Mount Dora as the model for Fort Repose in his book Alas, Babylon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How many of you experienced this psychological program?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/766/atyomicbombdrill-2346961.jpg
View Quote

"Drop" was our code word when I was in elementary school in SoCal.  The teacher would yell "drop" and chaos would ensue.  

We moved out of the LA School District when I was in fifth grade and we did not do this in the new school district, especially in high school.  Girls were not allowed to wear jeans or pants at that time, only skirts or dresses.  We were wearing short mini skirts, so I guess they did not want all those teen asses hanging out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I also read Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.  Excellent book.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is interesting because I have heard Pat Frank  used Mount Dora as the model for Fort Repose in his book Alas, Babylon.
View Quote

One of my childhood favorites, and required reading as I recall.

Interesting story about the shelter, I’ve lived in central Florida all my life , 60 years, and never heard of it.

There is a house between Oakland and Cleremont visible from highway 50 that is underground, two small entry ways standing in the grass.

Bell telephone (Att) had a mole hill out on Steer Lake road that was some sort of protected site.

Not much left anymore, folks have learned to live with the threat without obsessing over it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The Mount Dora Catacombs/bunker....

https://www.abandonedfl.com/the-mount-dora-catacombs/
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's now abandoned, but he largest privately owned underground atomic bomb shelter in the US is/was under an orange grove in Mount Dora.

View Quote

I'll spit the cost with you to buy it we can sell the oranges to Tropicana in lake wales to pay for it call dibs on Master bedroom
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Mount Dora Catacombs/bunker....

https://www.abandonedfl.com/the-mount-dora-catacombs/
View Quote

10k of ammo p'ff amateur. Cool story bro thanks. I'd like to own that and build it back.

Was on lake thonotosassa out towards Plant City area years ago. Wife and I stopped on shore to look at property which had a house burnt down on it. Wondered around to front of house area. They had a frigging concrete bunker buried in dirt like the ammo storage bunker we used in the army.

Concrete Walls were at least 16 inches thick with about 20 ft of dirt covering it. Had 4 Hugh separate rooms and 3 Hugh steel doors, It was Hugh and had a pistol range out front of it. You could not see it from the lake or road, it sit way back off of road with foliage and trees between the road and complex.

You'd never suspect it was there unless you went on property. It had grass growing on side facing in that direction of McDill on lake side. This was in the early 90s. I wish I'd bought that place.  USF bought it from what I heard. But that place was cool as hell. I think of it often and wonder if they kept bunker or torn it down. They'd had to use a wreaking ball to demolish it because no dozer was knocking that thing down.

Think I'll look at Google earth and see if I can find it
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Man just looked at lake thonotosassa on Google earth. Could not see anything but stupid Mac mansions with tennis courts Olympic size pools and gates now. It's sad what has happened to florida that use to be a very rural area and great fishing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

10k of ammo p'ff amateur. Cool story bro thanks. I'd like to own that and build it back.

Was on lake thonotosassa out towards Plant City area years ago. Wife and I stopped on shore to look at property which had a house burnt down on it. Wondered around to front of house area. They had a frigging concrete bunker buried in dirt like the ammo storage bunker we used in the army.

Concrete Walls were at least 16 inches thick with about 20 ft of dirt covering it. Had 4 Hugh separate rooms and 3 Hugh steel doors, It was Hugh and had a pistol range out front of it. You could not see it from the lake or road, it sit way back off of road with foliage and trees between the road and complex.

You'd never suspect it was there unless you went on property. It had grass growing on side facing in that direction of McDill on lake side. This was in the early 90s. I wish I'd bought that place.  USF bought it from what I heard. But that place was cool as hell. I think of it often and wonder if they kept bunker or torn it down. They'd had to use a wreaking ball to demolish it because no dozer was knocking that thing down.

Think I'll look at Google earth and see if I can find it
View Quote

I guess I'm chopped liver?  I shared something a few posts up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol sorry you can get in too your post was a great read BTW. Pretty cool story
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The more I consider impending nuclear doom (or other SHTF situations) the more I think I'd like to learn to sail and get a little yacht I could possibly disappear to for 3-6 months.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a few here and there..... but you're going to need an HSPD-12 PIV card with the proper FERO credentials to get past the gate.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mount Dora catacombs…apparently still here…I was accused of building on top of them…turned out to be erroneous info
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#28]
OP...

You want a list of nuclear fallout shelters in florida?

Here's the closest thing you are likely to ever find that's widespread:

https://long-lines.com/map

This is a small one with a shorter tower than they usually have:

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's one that's still active in Orlando.

ATT NBC Shelter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top