Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I am not particularly triggered by the word "privilege" - because interpreted another way, there is some significant benefit to the life experience that military kids get in terms of seeing the country/world, meeting/making new friends, gaining conversational understanding about national-security type stuff. If you say that benefitting from life experience is the equivalent of "privilege" (and I think it is pretty close) then perhaps the expression applies.

That said, I think people are generally far too triggered by the word "privilege."

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife showed me that last night.

If, by "privileged," they mean not seeing your military parent for 6-12 months at a time, while they're deployed, missing holidays and birthdays, as well as having to move a lot, attending multiple schools throughout their lives, sure...  Maybe we need a "military child privilege card" to go with the white privilege card.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a different article on that, maybe linked from Rantingly.  It had a screen cap of the privilege bingo board, and things like coming from a 2 parent home, being "cisgender," not having any sort of disability, or being a native English speaker were all listed as points of privilege.  It's truly insane when not having any sort of special victim status makes you "privileged," and being "privileged" is looked upon as being an ultimate sin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I was sooo privileged visiting my father
in a VA hospital, moving around all the time, etc.

Edit - sleeping under ONE scratchy '70s era wool G.I.
blanket in ice cold PA.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Most Americans should be able to say they are privileged, it's just weird to call'em  out on this.  I grew up on bases where women were told not to get pregnant.   My mom had cancer from exposure at age 31 and my Dad was deployed a lot.  I had a good childhood, but as a teen if I was told that's why I'd have kicked keisters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a different article on that, maybe linked from Rantingly.  It had a screen cap of the privilege bingo board, and things like coming from a 2 parent home, being "cisgender," not having any sort of disability, or being a native English speaker were all listed as points of privilege.  It's truly insane when not having any sort of special victim status makes you "privileged," and being "privileged" is looked upon as being an ultimate sin.
View Quote

Some of these are things that baffle me that we even talk about with relatively young kids. My 7th grader knows way more about "cisgender" and any number of other related topics than I ever wanted to...and it is largely driven by a bunch of kids 13-15...

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Airing on Fox News and getting National attention.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you see what was on the bingo card?

Loss for words.

Disabled veteran furious after school labels military children 'privileged'

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people are just so STUPID they don't know they're STUPID.

I was an Air Force brat.  I loved it.  Didn't mind moving every year or so till I got old enough to be really interested in girls.

I went to 13 schools in 12 years.  Three different schools in the first grade.

I think it was a wonderful life.  Yeah, missed dad a lot when he was TDY hundreds, or thousands of miles away for 3 months or more.  Or in Vietnam twice for a year.

No idea what military bases are like now.  Back then they were safe for kids.  Lots of places to play, lots of sports opportunities/activities, library, movie theater, bowling alley, rec. center.  No gangs, no fights.  The worst thing that happened to you was a bicycle wreck or falling out of a tree.  

Does that make military brats better people?  If so, that should be celebrated.  This county needs more better people.  Needs them badly.

If you're the kind of person who sees someone with things you don't have and it makes you mad or jealous your parents raised you wrong.  Get off your ass and work for what you want.  Hard work and dedication to your family isn't a "privilege" thing, it's a sign you were raised right.  Even if you weren't you can make those changes when you leave home and get out there on your own.  Some people do it and have a great life.  Some people spend the rest of their life blaming their problems on someone else.  To mask their unwillingness to improve themselves and their lives they point a finger and say the words that make them feel better while trying to make someone else feel worse.  What kind of person wants others to feel bad for having made good choices in their life?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#10]
^^Agreed^^

I want to speculate that most of the bingo game wasn't solely for military personnel, but for a "certain race".

Too many options on the card depicting this
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^Agreed^^

I want to speculate that most of the bingo game wasn't solely for military personnel, but for a "certain race".

Too many options on the card depicting this
View Quote

I think that was a component, but the other part was to say that coming from a traditional two-parent household is somehow bad.  Kids are made to feel guilty about "privilege," so all of those bingo squares are negatives.  The more you have, the worse you are.  What was good and to be admired is now bad.   It's sickening.

This article has a screen cap of the bingo card  Privilege Bingo
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It is sickening.

Just looking at some of the squares...

Male
White
Native English speaker
Never been racially profiled
Feel safe around police officers

Etc.

Now put that in the minds of kids, and being judgemental in the sense they assume parents haven't taught their kids of what happened in the past, as well as the present and that it's wrong to racially profile someone.

The school is just laying it out as a narrative.

I feel charges should be brought up but what kind?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top