Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2022 12:03:52 PM EDT
FPC Files Lawsuit Challenging New York “Assault Weapons’ Ban as Unconstitutional
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/fpc-files-lawsuit-challenging-new-york-assault-weapons-ban-as-unconstitutional

Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) announced today that it has filed a new Second Amendment lawsuit challenging New York’s ban on so-called “assault weapons.” The complaint in Vanchoff v. James, along with other case information, can be viewed at FPCLegal.org.

“Enough is enough,” said FPC policy counsel Matthew Larosiere “the people of New York have suffered this abuse for far too long. The arms targeted by New York’s ban are ordinary arms, kept by ordinary people for ordinary–but extremely important–purposes, including the fundamental right to an effective self-defense. There is no justification for threatening peaceable people with long stints in a government cage for merely possessing a firearm, regardless of what that particular firearm looks like. With this suit, we hope to end this injustice that has for too long imperiled New Yorkers.”

“There is no constitutionally relevant difference between a semi-automatic handgun, shotgun, and rifle,” the brief explains. “While some exterior physical attributes may differ—wood vs. metal stocks and furniture, the number and/or location of grips, having a bare muzzle vs. having muzzle devices, different barrel lengths, etc.—they are, in all relevant respects, the same.”

Individuals who would like to Join the FPC Grassroots Army and support important pro-rights lawsuits and programs can sign up at JoinFPC.org. Individuals and organizations wanting to support charitable efforts in support of the restoration of Second Amendment and other natural rights can also make a tax-deductible donation to the FPC Action Foundation. For more on FPC’s lawsuits and other pro-Second Amendment initiatives, visit FPCLegal.org and follow FPC on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.
Vanchoff v. James - FPC Law 2A Challenge to New York's "Assault Weapons" Ban
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/vanchoff

The complaint:
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firearmspolicycoalition/pages/6540/attachments/original/1657660295/Vanchoff_v_James_Complaint.pdf?1657660295
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes.  Wonder why FPC picked NY for this lawsuit and not CT?  we are both in the 2nd circuit so maybe that's two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yes.  Wonder why FPC picked NY for this lawsuit and not CT?  we are both in the 2nd circuit so maybe that's two birds with one stone.
View Quote

Didn't our case get rolled into the NY case?

Possible that NY has a higher profile than our little shit hole?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Possible that NY has a higher profile than our little shit hole?
View Quote

Don't think our case rolled into NY's case,  maybe it's just a profile think as you say.  In any case, both of us being in the 2nd circuit must be a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I remember things right. The 2013 Shew v. Malloy lawsuit wound up being combined with the NYSRPA lawsuit against NY's Safe Act so the federal courts back then could rule on the AWB and LCM challenges. While they upheld both the AWB and LCM ban they did strike down NY's 7 round mag limit (putting it back to 10 rounds) and removed one firearm (Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615) from CT's 4/4/13 banned by name list expansion. The Shew v. Malloy was eventually appealed up the legal food chain to SCOTUS who denied the petition for Writ of Certiorari on 6/22/2016.

The FPC case is a new lawsuit against the NY Safe Act. Don't recall seeing anything new from CCDL on new challenges to CT's AWB and LCM ban's. They've been somewhat mum publicly on their usual channels about legal challenges to CT's idiotic and unconstitional AWB and LCM bans post Bruen.

On a side note, haven't seen anything publicly released by DESPP/SLFU, or if they've pushed any updates to the local issuing authorities in the wake of Bruen, on the issue of CT's "may issue" and "suitability clauses" that are in the permitting statute. May take a lawsuit to force that statute to be changed by the legislature to conform with Bruen. Right now seems most liberal states are choosing to ignore Bruen and thumb their noses / flip the bird at or to SCOTUS on guns and abortion. If the 2nd Circuit were to strike down (likely not a snow balls chance in hell it will happen but lets speculate) the Safe Act it could affect CT, or make challenging CT's AWB/LCM and getting it repealed a slam dunk. If the 2nd Ciruit strikes down the Safe Act expect NY not to go quietly into the night. Their Governor (and would CT's) will demand a new AWB and the circle jerk continues with a new lawsuit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If I remember things right. The 2013 Shew v. Malloy lawsuit wound up being combined with the NYSRPA lawsuit against NY's Safe Act so the federal courts back then could rule on the AWB and LCM challenges. While they upheld both the AWB and LCM ban they did strike down NY's 7 round mag limit (putting it back to 10 rounds) and removed one firearm (Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615) from CT's 4/4/13 banned by name list expansion. The Shew v. Malloy was eventually appealed up the legal food chain to SCOTUS who denied the petition for Writ of Certiorari on 6/22/2016.

The FPC case is a new lawsuit against the NY Safe Act. Don't recall seeing anything new from CCDL on new challenges to CT's AWB and LCM ban's. They've been somewhat mum publicly on their usual channels about legal challenges to CT's idiotic and unconstitional AWB and LCM bans post Bruen.

On a side note, haven't seen anything publicly released by DESPP/SLFU, or if they've pushed any updates to the local issuing authorities in the wake of Bruen, on the issue of CT's "may issue" and "suitability clauses" that are in the permitting statute. May take a lawsuit to force that statute to be changed by the legislature to conform with Bruen. Right now seems most liberal states are choosing to ignore Bruen and thumb their noses / flip the bird at or to SCOTUS on guns and abortion. If the 2nd Circuit were to strike down (likely not a snow balls chance in hell it will happen but lets speculate) the Safe Act it could affect CT, or make challenging CT's AWB/LCM and getting it repealed a slam dunk. If the 2nd Ciruit strikes down the Safe Act expect NY not to go quietly into the night. Their Governor (and would CT's) will demand a new AWB and the circle jerk continues with a new lawsuit.
View Quote

To my understanding CCDL is quietly working on the case, but obviously won't discuss legal strategy publicly.  Rest assured something is brewing.  

Regarding the 2nd Circuit, I don't see how they can circumvent the new legal test put forth by Bruen.  There is literally no wiggle room, as much as they hate it they will have to uphold these restrictions on "text supported by history and tradition" that goes back to the founding.  Maybe they can take a long time to hear the case but eventually they are obliged to strike these laws down.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Regarding the 2nd Circuit, I don't see how they can circumvent the new legal test put forth by Bruen.  There is literally no wiggle room, as much as they hate it they will have to uphold these restrictions on "text supported by history and tradition" that goes back to the founding.  Maybe they can take a long time to hear the case but eventually they are obliged to strike these laws down.
View Quote

We'd like to think so but I suspect we're going to see them pull something out of their asses (using serious legal and mental gymnastics) to claim AWB's and LCM bans are justified even under the new guidance set forth by Thomas. Like it or not this is what lawyers and sometimes judges do, find even the smallest hole in the legal language to exploit. All they need is one example from history text and tradition to support their side and they'll use it to justify the bans and kick it up stairs to the next court in the food chain (or to SCOTUS). I hope I'm wrong and your right but I just don't see the 2nd or 9th circuit courts going along with Bruen without trying as hard as they can to find some way to ignore it and support the bans they've spent decades upholding.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We'd like to think so but I suspect we're going to see them pull something out of their asses (using serious legal and mental gymnastics) to claim AWB's and LCM bans are justified even under the new guidance set forth by Thomas. Like it or not this is what lawyers and sometimes judges do, find even the smallest hole in the legal language to exploit. All they need is one example from history text and tradition to support their side and they'll use it to justify the bans and kick it up stairs to the next court in the food chain (or to SCOTUS). I hope I'm wrong and your right but I just don't see the 2nd or 9th circuit courts going along with Bruen without trying as hard as they can to find some way to ignore it and support the bans they've spent decades upholding.
View Quote

They will likely argue the restrictions that led up to the NFA of 1934 pass the new test as that demonstrates "a historical precedent of restrictions" that is about a century old.  The pro 2A rebuttal will probably concentrate around the fact those restrictions lacked "historical and traditional"  standing themselves and in addition such restrictions happened nowhere near the founding of the nation (I believe 1791 is the key date for arms).  

I am not holding my breath either, and I think there will probably pull the usual crap, and it may take another round of SCOTUS ruling.  How long will it drag?.... we should start to have an idea soon as NY's case is the first test.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet Justice Thomas is salivating over slapping them around again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am not holding my breath either, and I think there will probably pull the usual crap, and it may take another round of SCOTUS ruling.  How long will it drag?.... we should start to have an idea soon as NY's case is the first test.
View Quote

We may see something soon out of NY in the GOA suit there over their new carry laws that were enacted in the wake of Bruen. That may give a good indicator of how courts will treat things post Bruen. Apparently that new law goes into effect Sept 1 so the court stated they'll issue their ruling prior to that. From a post by Nolo over in that thread:

From the court:

Docket Text:
TEXT ORDER granting in part and denying in part [10] Defendant's letter-motion for an extension of the deadline by which he must respond to Plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction. Although Defendant certainly must (as he argues) review "extensive" history to brief the Court on the relevant historical traditions in his response, he has already gotten a head start in amassing the necessary historical sources in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Assoc., Inc. v. Bruen, 18-CV-0134 (N.D.N.Y.). Moreover, although Plaintiffs did not also file a motion for emergency relief in the form of a Temporary Restraining Order, the law they challenge does take effect on September 1, 2022: the Court could not grant Defendant the full extension he seeks without shortening (1) the seven-day period for Plaintiffs' reply, (2) the time afforded the Court to review that reply before the hearing, (3) the window of time in which to hold the hearing, and (4) the time afforded the Court (between the hearing and September 1, 2022) to prepare a Decision and Order. In short, the complete relief that Defendant seeks in his letter-motion would deprive Plaintiffs of their right to have their motion for a preliminary injunction fairly and justly decided, if not the very relief they are seeking. As a result, the deadline for Defendant's response to Plaintiffs' motion is extended five days to the end of MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2022; and the deadline for Plaintiffs' reply is extended five days to the end of MONDAY, AUGUST 22, 2022. Defendant is respectfully advised that the partial granting of his letter-motion is contingent on him making himself available for an in-person hearing at any point between TUESDAY, AUGUST 23, 2022, and the end of FRIDAY, AUGUST 26, 2022. A Decision and Order on Plaintiffs' motion will be issued before the statute in question takes effect on September 1, 2022. SO ORDERED
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
9th circus has punted the CA awb to judge Benitez.  Delaying the inevitable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
9th circus has punted the CA awb to judge Benitez.  Delaying the inevitable.
View Quote

Yeah that was pretty much what everyone speculated they'd do. The good news is that Saint Benitez's opinion was apparently almost identical to Thomas's opinion.

"Assault Weapon" Ban Forced Back Down To Saint Benitez By 9th Circuit!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
It's the 9th Circuit's attempt to protect OR and WA.

If it's appealed at the District Court level and goes back up to the 9th then it's game over for the Circuit. If California accepts the loss (who knows) then it only affects California and Oregon and Washington can keep their onerous laws for a bit. Hawaii will obviously be affected by the ongoing lawsuits there.

Still good news for California!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Slowly but surely our turn will come.  They reek of desperation.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Bit of a click bate title once again from the Armed Scholar. Basicly speculates that the magazine ban is being punted back to Saint Benitez by the 9th with the hopes of dragging out the case as long as the 9th can.

9th Circuit Appeals Court Moves To Drop California Magazine Ban!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bit of a click bate title once again from the Armed Scholar. Basicly speculates that the magazine ban is being punted back to Saint Benitez by the 9th with the hopes of dragging out the case as long as the 9th can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PyyNDSjL9g
View Quote

I like how he explains situations but he is click baiting us a bit too much lately.  This is all about delaying the inevitable.  There is zero wiggle room in Thomas's opinion on Bruen.  They are buying a few more months, maybe a year, but to what end really.  I really hope CCDL with FPC/GOA are working on our own lawsuit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top