Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2021 10:56:56 PM EDT
Has this always been the case?  Seriously, Illinois State Police issue the FOID and I have to confirm THEY issued the other guys FOID card?  How did they explain that to pass it in Springfield?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you referring to the Private Firearm Transfer section on the ISP website?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that became a law in 2012.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
It passed the same day as concealed carry.  
We were there and never knew anything about it until it was on floor for a vote.  There was some deal making going on that was hidden from us.
The law as written has no teeth however, with the new ISRA law just passed the existing law isn't that big of a deal with the doing away with private sales as they now have to be reported or big penalties and the ISP having full records of both new and used gun sales buyers and serial #'s.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That particular phase of the law didn't call for serial #'s.  It was just a FOID validity check.
The new ISRA supported law calls for Serial numbers and paying FFL to keep record of sale for 20 years.  This will be in a searchable database with ISP having full access.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That particular phase of the law didn't call for serial #'s.  It was just a FOID validity check.
The new ISRA supported law calls for Serial numbers and paying FFL to keep record of sale for 20 years.  This will be in a searchable database with ISP having full access.
View Quote

Do you know if the new law still exempts gifts to family members?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it does.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would The ISRA support this?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked that same question when I declined to renew my ISRA membership.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

We challenged their "lobbyists" when they were seeking support.  We listed the major issues and they just blew us off.  We (IllinoisCarry) pushed back and at one point, the Sponsor of the bill agreed to meet with us to address our issues but like all things Democrat, they lied and tried to just run the clock out.  
The ISRA want to be at the table with the anti-gunners to help write the bills and for their own relevance.  Their claim was that if we didn't pass this really bad bill, we might get a really really bad bill.  Our position is that we are getting really really bad bills anyhow.  After this one is passed, do you think the anti-gunners will stop?
The ISRA has extremely poor leadership and a rubber stamp board.  We hate this as we need a good state organization but this ISRA isn't it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We challenged their "lobbyists" when they were seeking support.  We listed the major issues and they just blew us off.  We (IllinoisCarry) pushed back and at one point, the Sponsor of the bill agreed to meet with us to address our issues but like all things Democrat, they lied and tried to just run the clock out.  
The ISRA want to be at the table with the anti-gunners to help write the bills and for their own relevance.  Their claim was that if we didn't pass this really bad bill, we might get a really really bad bill.  Our position is that we are getting really really bad bills anyhow.  After this one is passed, do you think the anti-gunners will stop?
The ISRA has extremely poor leadership and a rubber stamp board.  We hate this as we need a good state organization but this ISRA isn't it.
View Quote

Amen says GSL.  I am letting my ISRA membership expire.  With friends like them who needs more enemies.  We can't trust our own side anymore.  I hope this is the death of ISRA, they are no good for Illinois gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I am letting my ISRA membership expire.  With friends like them who needs more enemies.  We can't trust our own side anymore.  I hope this is the death of ISRA, they are no good for Illinois gun owners.
View Quote

Agreed...However, my hope would be to flush out the dead wood and end up with an effective (for our side) organization.  There are too many self serving folks in leadership there.  Plus, they just make bone headed decisions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I am also severing all ties with isra.  Including range.  They aren't even running their own web site anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed...However, my hope would be to flush out the dead wood and end up with an effective (for our side) organization.  There are too many self serving folks in leadership there.  Plus, they just make bone headed decisions.
View Quote

Swan, you seem pretty up on the subject.  One thing I absolutely hate is that nobody names names.  No one will tell you who the bad teammate is.  Who is the bad wood at the ISRA?  Richard Pearson?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like Richard but, he is a big part of the problem.  
The board is a rubber stamp for what Richard feeds them.  No one challenges.
Their lobbyist Ed Sullivan (especially) and the rest of their "lobby team" have been bad for gun owners.
It doesn't require naming names really....all their leadership needs to go.  We have worked with them for years.  We were in Springfield with them most every week there was sessions.  They have always had big problems but Todd and IllinoisCarry (in that order) did the moving and ISRA supported from behind.  Now, they are the only ones in Springfield and their lack of ability is plainly evident.
As I've said before, we need an ISRA...just not this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top