Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
Hey all.

Any Florida group planning a hike this month? We had a great time in January and I would love to get the three hikes in 90 days. We will go wherever anyone wants to get together.

Anyone feel up for a hike on the 27th?

Grab your ruck, lets go!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe, surgery been pushed back again. When and where are the important things now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for the 27th.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe, surgery been pushed back again. When and where are the important things now.
View Quote

Anywhere you guys want. I am always up for a drive an exploring new trails. Maybe something with a restaurant nearby even though we did enjoy Moarcoffee's cooking.

Not to side track but also love to get some feedback from the group your radios this time out. I had some free time last week and studied for the HAM. I took my technician and general tests this afternoon. Not really sure what I want for comms.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m interested.  My feet finally healed up from the blisters.  I have to go do somethings out of town this week, but hopefully I’ll be back down for the hike
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If I make it I will definitely bring my Baofengs. I just got my technician license also . I also agree we should get some com practice in too. Maybe some trail craft also.
Land nav would be nice some time too, no rush, maybe eventually.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m interested.  My feet finally healed up from the blisters.  I have to go do somethings out of town this week, but hopefully I’ll be back down for the hike
View Quote

Be good to see you again sir.  Good boots/shoes and moleskin can definitely help. Ruck up!!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Working that Saturday. I’ll keep checking back for the next one, have fun fellas
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone want to help rake leaves instead of hiking?

Please don't put me on your ignore list.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone want to help rake leaves instead of hiking?

Please don't put me on your ignore list.
View Quote

push mower with a bagger.  Don't rake.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

push mower with a bagger.  Don't rake.
View Quote

Next, ....
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
@nostalgic
Do you have a location in mind?  Lets get this going.  Once we figure out a spot, I'll put the opord together.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have a location in mind?  Lets get this going.  Once we figure out a spot, I'll put the opord together.
View Quote

Good morning all.

I was hoping Miami or Tampa would be running a hike this month but, it would be good to see where everyone that wants to attend is coming from and pick a place that would be relatively easy to get to.

With few exceptions, I have nothing but pavement from me south to Miami but, I have been looking at trails to hike on my own.

This one I mentioned last month. It would be good to see if we have anyone in the Treasure Coast area that would like to attend.

Halpatiokee Regional Park - 27°06'09.8"N 80°15'06.9"W - It has a 3 mile loop, mostly under shade, single file at points but easy enough that people run it. Plenty of wildlife and scenery, restaurants nearby and it is right off the turn pike and 95 for easy access. The family and I go here regularly .

Jonathan Dickenson State Park - 27°00'12.9"N 80°06'12.1"W - It has a few trails to choose from, mostly open country, would be an out and back. It is a little ways from I 95 on US1 but easy enough to get to.

Apoxee Wilderness Trail - 26°43'39.2"N 80°09'04.0"W - it is a 4.7 mile loop but we could out and back unless anyone feels like 9 miles. Plenty of options for meeting afterwards if anyone is so inclined, easy enough to get to.

Open to ideas.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Im back. Bought a kelty tiago to try to rucksack. Ill practice on my own but if you have packing tips let me know!  Ill be looking for some comfy shoes in the mean time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Be good to see you again sir.  Good boots/shoes and moleskin can definitely help. Ruck up!!  
View Quote

Foot powder helps immensely and if needed. Ankle high panty hose.

Dont wear thick cushioned tube socks.

I have uncountable miles on my feet as a former 11B (as are probably half here)  and I can say for certainty, dry powdered feet with socks that dont rub are key. You can also get your boots laced in anyway that prevents it but it takes many miles and tial and error to get it dialed  in right
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Foot powder helps immensely and if needed. Ankle high panty hose.

Dont wear thick cushioned tube socks.

I have uncountable miles on my feet as a former 11B (as are probably half here)  and I can say for certainty, dry powdered feet with socks that dont rub are key. You can also get your boots laced in anyway that prevents it but it takes many miles and tial and error to get it dialed  in right
View Quote

good idea.  i'm planning on doing a 4 mile hike with this new kelty tiago bag.  never had a frame before.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there anywhere in the Lake Okeechobee area?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there anywhere in the Lake Okeechobee area?
View Quote

There are and I looked at some of those sections around the lake but, we didn't seem to have a lot of interest and I didn't know where people would be coming from if they did.  I think the lake trails are all paved and it would be like walking on sidewalk the whole time. There does seem to be sections the Florida Trail coming off the lake and heading northwest. I am up for anything.

Interactive Hiking Map

My goal at this point is to get people together and if someone doesn't want to hike or cannot hike, come out after the hike and eat.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Following...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I would like to get an idea where everyone is coming from so we can try to centralize hike locations. It would be so much easier to justify a 1 hour drive instead of a 3 hour drive. I know my local area reasonably well but much more than that.
Maybe find locations within 50 miles or so of major cities and use those lists. Of course anyone can join any hike anywhere but it would make it easier for folk in that area.
Then again we could just put a Florida map on the wall and throw darts...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would like to get an idea where everyone is coming from so we can try to centralize hike locations. It would be so much easier to justify a 1 hour drive instead of a 3 hour drive. I know my local area reasonably well but much more than that.
Maybe find locations within 50 miles or so of major cities and use those lists. Of course anyone can join any hike anywhere but it would make it easier for folk in that area.
View Quote

I'm S. Fl around Ft Lauderdale/Davie Area.  I'm still new to the area, so I'm up for exploration within reasonable distance.  (i'm not driving another 12 hours to be back up in the pan handle.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm S. Fl around Ft Lauderdale/Davie Area.  I'm still new to the area, so I'm up for exploration within reasonable distance.  (i'm not driving another 12 hours to be back up in the pan handle.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this place just about splits the difference. Still open to ideas or we can scrap it hope for a better day.

Taylor Creek Stormwater Treatment Area/Nature Trail/Wildlife Preservation Area - 27.30584939770679, -80.82672146629181 - Has a 3 mile Loop,  no shade, marsh area, easy trail, more alligators. Places to eat in town just south of the area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
That area works for me.
IMHO our hikes are 1-2 hours affairs. They don't need to be be super great, just better than circling the block you live on for a few hours. Of course some areas will rate much higher but I believe convenience will get better attendance than better locations. For those who are more into location and don't mind driving and/or overnighting it I do have a few ideas but this is for later (At least for me, probably a few months ]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks like a good spot, and should be a doable drive for most of the state.  The outer loop is right at 3 miles, making for easy math .  
I suggest we lock in the location as the Taylor Creek Nature Trail.  Planned step off time: 27 Feb at 1100.  Once again, planning a later time to allow individuals additional time to travel to the location.

Unless I hear objections, I'll begin prepping the OPORD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm in. Will try to drag a friend with me too. I won't be setting any speed records this time either. Oh, will be bringing radio also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I am in for sure.

Looking forward to it. I was just camping in that area last weekend. I wanted to go check out the nearby Kissimmee Trail section too. Another day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#26]
OPORD Follows:

SITUATION:
Area of Operations:  Taylor Creek Nature Trail.  Okeechobee, FL 34972  
Trailhead Link
( 27.305011085285656 N, 80.82701020025763 W)

Terrain:  Unpaved, slightly elevated roadway, consisting of hard packed limestone fill.  Some loose rock and minor tripping hazards may be present.  Trail will be bordered by wetlands and/or canal.
Due to close proximity to wetlands, some insect activity is possible, but should be mitigated by seasonal weather conditions.  Please don’t pet the prehistoric reptiles.  Individuals are encouraged to remain on the elevated roadway.  We will not be using the shortcut except in case of emergency.

Weather: Predicted: High – 84F, Low – 66F, Sun and Clouds
Higher Mission/Intent:
Mission: The mission of the American Pioneer Corps (APC) is to provide public service to the nation by encouraging physical fitness and organization for patriotic Americans throughout the country.
Intent: The purpose of these hikes is to establish the Florida APC network. Events are occurring throughout the state. Miami APC will support this endeavor by completing a ruck march in preparation for more intensive events.
MISSION: Miami APC conducts 6-mile ruck march at 1100, 27 Feb 2021 on the Taylor Creek Nature Trail.  The hike will begin at the trailhead gate and proceed counter-clockwise around the trail for two laps, then return to the gate.

EXECUTION:
Intent: My purpose is to establish local APC groups in the Miami / South FL area in conjunction with groups in other areas of the state. Our key tasks are to
1) Meet others in our area
2) Conduct a ruck march. Desired end state is a 6-mile hike in less than two hours with no injuries.
3) Provide a venue for individuals to gain resilience through voluntary exposure to challenges

Concept of Operation: Members will arrive at the Trailhead at or before 1030. Group will conduct safety brief, prep gear, wait for latecomers/stragglers, etc. until step-off at 1100. Packs will be weighed for qualification upon request.  Group will hike clockwise around the Taylor Creek Nature Trail for two laps, to complete the six-mile distance.  Upon completion of the event, group will make coordination for the next event and conduct AAR.
Scheme of Maneuver: Group will move in a column through the trail, allowing traffic to pass as necessary.  Packs are optional.  Pace will be minimum 19:00/mi according to APC SOP.
Coordinating Instructions: APC standards are here: https://americanpioneercorps.org/guidelines/. Members are encouraged but not required to use a pack weighing a minimum of 35lb (excluding drinking water).
Timeline:
1030 - Arrival
1100 - Step Off
1300 - March Complete
1330 - Depart Area
Risk Reduction
Accountability: A headcount will be performed at the following points: Step-off, at the 3-mile point (first lap), and at the end point.
Lost Person Plan: If any hiker becomes lost during the movement, they will hold in place for 15 minutes. After this time, the individual will orient themselves to place the wetlands on their left side, and proceed along the roadway to the trailhead.  
Uniform/Packing List:
Required: Athletic/outdoor clothes, boots or athletic shoes. Motivation.
Recommended: Rucksack (frame highly recommended) with minimum 35lbs. Straps secured and packed tight. Bug spray/sunscreen/allergy meds as needed. Garbage bags for trash collected along trail.

SUSTAINMENT:
Logistics: Restroom facilities are available at the rest area.  No open-carry firearms are permitted on the trail.  The trail is used extensively by FWC, birders, bikers, hikers and hippies.  Dress accordingly.  Expect a medium/high Karen-factor.
Class I (food/water): Limited water is available at the rest area. Water will be staged at the vehicles for topping off. Recommend bringing, at minimum, 64oz of water for the hike.
Class VIII (medical): Bring allergy meds/personal prescriptions as needed.
Medical: If a medical emergency occurs on the trail, members will call 911 and move casualty to the trailhead, if able.  If unable to move the casualty, at least one hiker will remain with the victim. Other hikers will proceed to the trailhead to guide EMS.  EMS is located 4.25 south of the trailhead in Okeechobee.
In the event of a routine casualty, not threatening life or limb, we will help/carry the injured individual to the trailhead. We will then self-transport the injured party one of the following hospitals, as appropriate:
Raulerson Hospital – 1796 Highway 441 North Okeechobee, FL, 34972 (3 miles to the south)
Minor medical issues may be treated onsite if within the skill set of first aid and basic medical supplies (i.e., blisters, cuts, etc.)

COMMAND AND SIGNAL:
Command Posts: Main gather point is the trailhead parking area
Identification: Gather point will be identified by a Florida HTF BFL.
Signal: ARFCom thread is the primary communication until step-off; OP/MC will be active on the thread until step-off at 1100.  Individuals are encouraged to bring radios for use during the hike.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry Guys,
I ended up driving back up to N. Alabama on Tuesday.  I won't make it back in time.  =(
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#28]
For those bringing radios to get some practice there are repeaters in the Baofeng freq range nearby. Don't think they would be needed but hey, if ya wanna try them out....
Repeat after me.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry Guys,
I ended up driving back up to N. Alabama on Tuesday.  I won't make it back in time.  =(
View Quote

That is unfortunate but, I am sure you will be having a better time that walking around with us. Be safe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you to Moar Coffee, Gary M and friend. It was a great day for a hike and the food after was pretty good as well. It seems like some of the best places to eat are always in out of the way locations.

Congrats to Moar Coffee on Candidate 3rd class!

We hope to see more people out next month. Reminder that this is a family friendly environment and if you do not want to or cannot hike, then you should come out afterwards and join us for a meal and conversation. It has been a good opportunity to get out, see some nature and meet some new people.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks again for setting this up. We had a great time. I keep trying to get my friend to sign up here but even though he is one of us he is at most a casual gun guy. He is looking forward to the next hike. I think he will be participating regularly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top