Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2020 8:06:08 PM EDT
Florida Battle Buddies / American Pioneer Corps will be holding a hike on Sunday, March 22nd, starting at Markham Park.  Initial plan is to begin at the Markham Park Nature Trail and hike Westbound onto the Conservation Levee Greenway, then return for a distance of 3 miles.  If interest supports it, I'm prepared to add an additional 3 mile leg after the first hike is complete.

The main objective is to get everybody together and start networking.  Packs are optional.  For those interested, packs will be weighed in, and this hike will meet the requirements for the APC provisional classification.  Standards for APC are listed here.

I do have a loaner pack available if it will get someone up and moving.

OPORD to follow.

@davidr001
@Hamiltbl2
@japsw20
@maximscorpio
@searchin4shacks
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
One more for the Miami crew:
@speeddemon11L

Heads up to the Port Charlotte Crew as well, just in case (~2.5 hr drive):
@Plank_Spanker
@GRUMPY61
@Yea-Right
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
SITUATION:
Area of Operations: Markham Park Nature Trail and Conservation Levee Greenway extending 1.5-miles to the West.
Terrain: Begins with unpaved nature trail then transitions to unpaved road atop Levee, consisting of hard packed limestone fill. Some loose rock and minor tripping hazards will be present. Moderate downgrade is present on both sides of levee, terminating in wetlands / drainage canal. Due to close proximity to wetlands, some insect activity is expected.
Weather: High ~84/Low ~69, Mostly Sunny
Sunrise: 0721

Higher Mission/Intent:
Mission: The mission of the American Battle Buddies (ABB) is to provide public service to the nation by encouraging physical fitness and organization for patriotic Americans throughout the country.
Intent: The purpose of these hikes is to establish the Florida ABB network. These groups will meet in various cities across the state to develop a functional network. Events have already been scheduled in Tampa, Jacksonville, the Panhandle, and Orlando. Miami ABB will support this endeavor by completing one initial ruck march in preparation for more intensive events.

MISSION: Miami ABB conducts 3-mile ruck march at 0930, 22 MAR 2020 on the Conservation Levee Greenway in order to establish the local ABB network.  An additional 3-mile ruck is available if interest supports it.

EXECUTION:
Intent: My purpose is to establish local ABB groups in the Miami area in conjunction with groups in other areas of the state. Our key tasks are to
1) Meet others in our area, and
2) Conduct an initial ruck march. Desired end state is a 3-mile hike in less than one hour with no injuries.

Concept of Operation: Members will arrive at the Markham Park Nature Trailhead at 0900. Group will conduct safety brief, prep gear, wait for latecomers/stragglers, etc. until step-off at 0930. Packs will be weighed for qualification upon request. Group will hike Westbound along the Nature Trail & Conservation Levee Greenway for a distance of 1.5 miles, then return via the same route. Upon completion of the event, group will make coordination for the next event and conduct AAR.
Scheme of Maneuver: Group will move in a column through the trail, allowing traffic to pass as necessary. Packs are optional. Pace will be minimum 19:00/hr according to ABB SOP.
Coordinating Instructions: ABB standards are here: https://americanpioneercorps.org/guidelines/. Members are encouraged but not required to use a pack weighing a minimum of 35lb (excluding drinking water).
Timeline:
0900 - Arrival
0930 - Step Off
1030 - March Complete
1045 - Depart Area
Risk Reduction
Accountability: A headcount will be performed at the following points: Step-off, upon crossing the bridge onto the levee, and at the turnaround point. The headcounts will occur at the same locations on the return leg.
Lost Person Plan: If any hiker becomes lost during the movement, they will hold in place for 15 minutes. After this time, the individual will orient themselves to place the canal on their right side, and proceed along the top of the levee. Upon reaching the bridge, they will proceed across and follow the trail to the left, then proceed through the woods to the trailhead.
Uniform/Packing List:
Required: Athletic/outdoor clothes, boots or athletic shoes. Motivation.
Recommended: Rucksack (frame highly recommended) with minimum 35lbs. Straps secured and packed tight. Bug spray/sunscreen/allergy meds as needed. Garbage bags for trash collected along trail.

SUSTAINMENT:
Logistics: Restroom facilities are available in the park. No open-carry firearms are permitted on the trail. The trail is used extensively by FWC, birders, bikers, hikers and hippies. Dress accordingly.
Class I (food/water): Limited running water is available on site (hose bibs). Water will be staged at the vehicles for topping off. Recommend bringing at minimum one 32oz bottle of water. Energy bars/gels are recommended.
Class VIII (medical): Bring allergy meds/personal prescriptions as needed.
Medical: If a medical emergency occurs on the trail, members will call 911 and move casualty to the bridge or trailhead, if able.  If unable to move the casualty, at least one hiker will remain with the victim. Other hikers will proceed to the nearest vehicle access point to guide EMS.
In the event of a routine casualty, not threatening life or limb, we will help/carry the injured individual to the trailhead. We will then self-transport the injured party to Cleveland Clinic ER (3100 Weston Rd, Weston, FL 33331)
Minor medical issues may be treated onsite if within the skill set of first aid and basic medical supplies (i.e., blisters, cuts, etc.)

COMMAND AND SIGNAL:
Command Posts: Main gather point is the Markham Park Nature Trail Parking Area
Identification: Gather point will be identified by a Florida HTF BFL.
Signal: Arfcom thread is the primary communication until step-off; OP will be active on the thread until step-off at 0930.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I will get in on this.

Sign me up!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
@Falaholic87

Get on up over in here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I will get in on this.

Sign me up!
View Quote
Done!  Glad to have you with us.  We just need one more for a quorum.

For everyone else:
Even with everything going on, I'm still holding the hike as scheduled.  The only potential roadblock would be if they close the park.  If that were to occur, I have a pre-planned backup that will be communicated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
In

dildoes
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In

dildoes
View Quote
Hey, whatever you want to use for weight.  You do you, but you'll have to byod.  The spec does require they be carried in a ruck, vs. some "other" method.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey, whatever you want to use for weight.  You do you, but you'll have to byod.  The spec does require they be carried in a ruck, vs. some "other" method.  
View Quote
No prison wallets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking of wearing my PC...

Think that'll be OK?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a very public area, so I won't be wearing mine.  It doesn't count towards the weight requirement, if that is important to you.  I hate to discourage training in your gear, but it does make me uneasy.  Our hikes have tended to gather some strange looks already, just with packs on.

I'm not sure how many people will be out, given the current situation.  It may be empty, or we might have a gaggle of Karens with kids in tow itching to get out of the house.

It goes without saying that everything we do is going to be strictly above-board, but I would rather avoid unnecessary LEO interaction given the current climate.

I hope this makes sense.  I may just be chicken.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a very public area, so I won't be wearing mine.  It doesn't count towards the weight requirement, if that is important to you.  I hate to discourage training in your gear, but it does make me uneasy.  Our hikes have tended to gather some strange looks already, just with packs on.

I'm not sure how many people will be out, given the current situation.  It may be empty, or we might have a gaggle of Karens with kids in tow itching to get out of the house.

It goes without saying that everything we do is going to be strictly above-board, but I would rather avoid unnecessary LEO interaction given the current climate.

I hope this makes sense.  I may just be chicken.
View Quote
I'm going to bring it and we'll see what the climate is like that morning.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I wore it to the range there once on a Sunday morning.

Got some looks. One of the ROs asked me why I felt I needed to wear it.

Just as some noob swept the whole line with an AK.....

I told the RO "That's why." and that was the end of that....
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan.
View Quote
Cool.

My flat front panel and cobra belt should be here today. So, it won't look too "tactical and scary."

Is anyone bringing radios? Like Baofengs?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be bringing my yeasu ht.  We can put together a radio comms plan if there's intrest.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll be bringing my yeasu ht.  We can put together a radio comms plan if there's intrest.
View Quote

Came here to ask about coms.
Next Q: Will Markham even be open tomm?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been tracking the updates from the county.  As of now, there is no mention of closing the park.  I will be parked across from the dog park at ~0900 (as soon as the park opens).  For initial comms, I will be active in this thread until we step off.  We can talk radio freqs on arrival.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm here, the park is open.  Watch for bikes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
AAR:  Success!  I love it when a plan comes together

We all met up, weighed in, and did our safety brief.  The weather was excellent as we stepped off, and thankfully it remained a beautiful day.  The trail was in heavy use by bikers, as expected, but no issues were encountered.  With the exception of the climb up onto the levee, this was a flat, well packed trail, with plenty of room.

Results:
Four hikers completed the three mile route.  Falaholic87 and myself each carried packs meeting APC weight criteria for 3rd class, and completed 3 miles in just under 1 hour.  

Attendees:
MCW
A friend of MCW (Name redacted)
Falaholic87
MoarCoffee

What Went Well:
- Overall the plan worked.  
- All hikers completed the route without injury or getting lost.
- The loaner pack I brought came in handy, but probably isn't rated for 50lbs.  I think it was a bit small for Falaholic to boot.  He toughed it out like a champ.
- The weather was excellent, and so was the "scenery"
- Radio comms were exercised successfully

Improvements:
- I'm still working on pacing, but getting better.
- My GPS distance glitched during the hike, but we were able to reconstruct the timeline thanks to MCW.  Going forward, I'll have pace times for each landmark.
- Next time... I won't forget to take pictures

P.S. - Falaholic87, I still have your brick in my loaner pack

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Definitely had a great time!!!

Tommy is asking when we are doing it again.

I gotta get him on ARF.COM so he can keep up.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]
excellent news!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Way to go guys, gitin er done.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Way to go guys, gitin er done.
View Quote

@CrazyIvan6115 Where about in FL are you?

Sounds like we need some Crazy Ivan in our group.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@CrazyIvan6115 Where about in FL are you?

Sounds like we need some Crazy Ivan in our group.
View Quote

Bay area, been on both the hikes here that Spartacus2002 has organized. Looking forward to others, hopefully one or two "away" hikes. Broward would be a long haul, but who knows maybe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bay area, been on both the hikes here that Spartacus2002 has organized. Looking forward to others, hopefully one or two "away" hikes. Broward would be a long haul, but who knows maybe.
View Quote

We may have to take a trip up that way too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top