Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2020 6:28:46 PM EDT

******UPDATE 4/17******

THIS HIKE HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO TRAIL CLOSURE.

They have physically roped off the trailhead and posted the area.  

We will schedule this again once the trails have reopened.  A couple of us are going to be scouting other parts of the forest that we may be able to use during the shutdown.

American Pioneer Corps/ Florida Battle Buddies Hike --- 18 APRIL 2020

OPORD format stolen from @leftytheking

SITUATION:
Area of Operations: Yearling Trail, FL-19, Fort McCoy, FL 32134
Terrain: Sandy trail through wooded areas. Occasional tree roots and tripping hazards during the course. No water crossings, occassional elevation changes.  See second post for more details.
Weather: Historical High ~84/Low ~61
Sunrise: 0600
Mission: The mission of the American Battle Buddies (ABB) is to provide public service to the nation by encouraging physical fitness and organization for patriotic Americans throughout the country.
Intent: The purpose of these hikes is to establish the Florida ABB network. These groups will meet in various cities across the state to develop a functional network. Events have already been scheduled and completed all over Florida.
This Hike is intended to serve as a 6 mile hike towards 3rd Class ABB Qualification, though any are welcome to attend and no weight is required.  Feel free to hike along for the camaraderie and exercise.
Potential Hazards: Heat, Ticks, Venomous Snakes, Black Bears.  Black Bears are typically very timid and easy to scare off, but they may be seen while hiking and can be surprising if you aren't used to them.
Bystanders: Occasional foot traffic may be seen on the trail, many of whom will be carrying packs of their own.   We will not be out of place here.

MISSION: Florida ABB conducts 6.1 mile ruck march April 18 2020 at 0930 at The Yearling Trail, Ocala National Forest.

EXECUTION:
Intent: My purpose is to conduct a 6.1 mile weighted Ruck March in Wooded Terrain at a pace of at least 3mph per ABB standards.  It is also to continue the networking and cameraderie started by the various Florida ABB groups.
Concept of Operation: Members will arrive at The Yearling Trail Trailhead at 0900. Group will conduct safety brief, prep gear, wait for latecomers/stragglers, etc. until step-off at 0930. Group will follow a loop of 6.1 miles before returning to the parking lot.  Upon completion of the event, ABB will discuss future events and conduct AAR.
Scheme of Maneuver: Group will move in a column through the trail, allowing traffic to pass as necessary. No halts will be conducted due to the pace requirements. Packs are not required. Pace will be minimum 19:00/hr according to ABB SOP.
Coordinating Instructions: ABB standards are HERE. No pack is required if you don't want to qualify, we encourage everyone to come and hike along.

TIMELINE:
0900- Arrival and Weigh-In
0930- Step Off
1130- March Complete
1145-1200- Depart Area

Uniform/Packing List:
Required: Athletic/outdoor clothes, boots or athletic shoes. Motivation.  Bug spray/sunscreen/allergy meds as needed.
Required for 3rd Class Qualification: Rucksack with minimum 45lbs excluding drinking water.  

SUSTAINMENT:
Logistics: Restroom facilities are NOT available on site. Treeline may be utilized for waste, this is a backcountry camping area so please bring trowell and TP if you plan on pooping in the woods.  The town of Salt Springs is located a few miles to the North of the Trailhead on HWY 19, and has multiple places to pick up food/drinks and multiple restroom facilities.  

Class I (food/water): Running water is NOT available on site. Bottled Water will be staged at the vehicles for topping off. Recommend bringing at minimum one 32oz bottle of water. Energy bars/gels are recommended.  This is a big loop, and we won't be back to the cars until the whole 6.1 miles is done.
Class VIII (medical): Emergency aid bag located with vehicles. Bring allergy meds/personal prescriptions as needed.
Medical: If a medical emergency occurs on trail, members will call 911 and move casualty to trailhead if possible. Minor medical issues may be treated onsite if within the skillset of first aid and basic medical supplies (i.e., blisters, cuts, etc.)  

COMMAND AND SIGNAL:

Command Posts: Main gather point is the Yearling Trail Trailhead on HWY 19 across the road from Silver Glen Springs rec area. This is the default “end” location for Google Maps.

We will gather at the Trailhead Parking Lot and weigh packs before step off.
Signal: CELL SERVICE IS SPOTTY OR NONEXISTANT at Trailhead.  Download offline maps to your GPS apps as required.  Arfcom thread is the primary communication until step-off; OP will be active on the thread until loss of signal at approx. 0830.

This location is approximately a 2 hour drive from Jacksonville, Orlando, Gainesville and Tampa city centers.

Post Below will contain Photos and Trail Condition description from my scouting trip today (3/1).
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
PICTURES AND TRAIL CONDITIONS

Here are the pics and info from my scouting trip of the Yearling Trail today.  I had my wife with me, and we walked at a leisurely pace without weight, stopping to read the signs and check out the sights.

Below is a map of where the trail is located:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This sign marks the trailhead parking lot.  If you are coming from the NORTH, this sign will be on the right hand side of the road (FL19) and you will turn on the dirt road on the right just before the sign.  If you are coming from the SOUTH, this sign will be on your left, and you will take the dirt road on your left immediately past the sign.  The actual Silver Glen Springs recreation area is across the road from the sign, and is a paved road.

Attachment Attached File

This is the actual Trailhead, once you get to the parking lot:

Attachment Attached File

Here are some maps of the trail:

Attachment Attached File

Here is a trail map with the 6.1 mile route overlaid on it in blue:

Attachment Attached File

The first (and last) 3/4 of a mile is sugar sand, but it isn't too deep and not bad to walk through.

Attachment Attached File

It turns to grass for several portions.  A handful of settlers lived in this area in the 1800s, it is called The Yearling Trail because both the book and film take place here and are based on the settlers who lived here.

Attachment Attached File

Most of the trail is straw covered hard-packed trail through trees.  There was fairly abundant shade, despite us walking it around midday.  At 0930 shade should be even better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here is the largest Sinkhole in the area, it drops off vertically after the second log.  If you look at the trail map, I took a left at the sinkhole and went to the Cemetery, then turned around and walked back past the sinkhole to marker 5 and continued along the loop.  This makes the total loop 6.1 miles.

Attachment Attached File

Long Family Cemetery

Attachment Attached File

Here is the data from my Strava app, showing the recorded route and the elevation change by mile.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.  This might be a good choice for my 6 mi.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy trail guys....

So jodies trace was maintained? That'd be a 1st.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy trail guys....

So jodies trace was maintained? That'd be a 1st.
View Quote
I didn't have any trouble following it.  It was yellow blazed often enough to easily see where to head, although the trail after the sinkhole was more traveled. I think most people skip the Trace and go to the sinkhole from the cemetery.

It was easy to stay motivated since you're always seeing something new, and none of the elevation changes are severe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn't have any trouble following it.  It was yellow blazed often enough to easily see where to head, although the trail after the sinkhole was more traveled. I think most people skip the Trace and go to the sinkhole from the cemetery.

It was easy to stay motivated since you're always seeing something new, and none of the elevation changes are severe.
View Quote
Yeah at the churchill road joint,is where im talking about as it changes from pinr flat to hammock.
If your at the sink hole trail.post, its pretty much right behind that.
Hardly anyone goes that route. Unless they blazed churchill rd striaght to the main drag that leads to the FT going to pats trail head.
It's a fun trail, and lots of history.  Plus not a bad area to do over nighters with newbs.( aka kids lol ).
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in! I'll see if Mrs inimicalone would like to play as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If I can attend I will, work schedule permitting
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You can count me in for this one. It's a nice drive up there, might stop by Silver Glenn afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope the girlfriend and I will make it
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Just up there yesterday. Pat's island trail head was full.......
Should by vacant by april since it'll be warmer and the fair weathers dont like to sweat or deal with bugs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just up there yesterday. Pat's island trail head was full.......
Should by vacant by april since it'll be warmer and the fair weathers dont like to sweat or deal with bugs.
View Quote
I'm hoping the same.  Outside of three couples with packs, the other people I saw were just casually walking.  They all were on the main straightaway, I didn't see anyone on Jody's Trace or the Florida Trail sections.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm hoping the same.  Outside of three couples with packs, the other people I saw were just casually walking.  They all were on the main straightaway, I didn't see anyone on Jody's Trace or the Florida Trail sections.
View Quote
It should.
Ive never ran into anyone on the FT to graveyard route and only 1 or 2 over the years on jodies.
Seems the road in to grave,to sink hole or pats trailhead to grave and back is the busiest.
Reason i asked about jodies , it was so over grown at the sink hole it resembled a game trail. That keeps folks away.
Last i hiked it was before the holidays,  the trail association normally clears everything to double highway lane width to keep thier gucci gear clean.

Barring anything dumb, i shoulnt have issue showing up.
Dont have my provisional yet. so worse case ill just tag along and bust that out lol.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I have put this on my calendar to attend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been working a lot and the Covid thread has had my attention lately, but I am still good to go for this hike. Sorry I have been absent from the thread, hope everyone is doing well in all this craziness.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm still a go too if the trail is open that day. It will be a good thing to be out on a hike with all the craziness right now! just have to figure out how I'm going to get 45-50 pounds in my bag, might have to wrap a couple of weights in a towel!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm still a go too if the trail is open that day. It will be a good thing to be out on a hike with all the craziness right now! just have to figure out how I'm going to get 45-50 pounds in my bag, might have to wrap a couple of weights in a towel!
View Quote

Yeah hopefully they leave the Forest open, it would be nice to get out and hike in the woods.  I am using these weights in a padded laptop bag, but I don't think you could get a set delivered in time with what's going on, at least not from Amazon.

Something I'd suggest is if you come up a couple pounds short, add some first aid equipment to make up the difference.  Moleskin, motrin, vetrap, Israeli bandages, that sort of thing.  I added an emergency litter to my pack the other day in the event someone requires evac from the woods to the road.  Filled water bottles would also make good "dead weight" that's useful in an emergency, as long as you aren't drinking from them they count.

Tomorrow is my last working day for the next couple of weeks, so I'll try to get out to the trail again and see what the traffic/conditions are like.

Also, if anyone is coming that hasn't done Provisional yet, according to the main thread a 35lb hike is not required; if you want to start out from the beginning with a 45lb pack you can.  The 3miles/35lb Provisional rating was there to give people something to work for if they didn't think they could achieve the 3rd class standards. You don't have to start at 35.

Again, weight isn't required at all, but if you're confident you can make it with 45 this can be your first hike and count towards both Provisional and the 3rd class APC rating.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m very interested. Good choice of trail OP!

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Before you guys make the trip a lot of the areas in the Ocala National Forest have been closed.  I would hate to see you guys get there and find them closed.

Dan
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Thinking about heading up if I'm able, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm it's open ahead of time as it's a couple hours each way. Happy to make the trip as long as I don't get stood up on account of the super sniffles
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thinking about heading up if I'm able, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm it's open ahead of time as it's a couple hours each way. Happy to make the trip as long as I don't get stood up on account of the super sniffles
View Quote

Yearling trail is open as is the Pats island trail head shown on the north end of the yearling trail.

Ill be there dunno in what capicity due to injury, but ill be there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Are we on for this weekend?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Going to try to make this one.  I need some dirt underfoot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still on for this on Saturday. Need to get out of the house!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are we on for this weekend?
View Quote

OP/hike host account shows locked to me?????

Ill be rechecking the trail head today/tomorrow ,as local rumor mill says forest service was posting more areas the last two days.
Thanks to local trash destroying any place good in big groups.
Anyhow.

I will update asap on any closures.

If OP is out the hike can still go as planned.
I can guide, as ive hiked,camped that area about 100 times. I may not be your pace setter, but we can all go,meet  hike etc.

Eta: not trying to step on toes but to make sure folks dont waste hours driving for nothing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

shows locked to me too.

Eta: not trying to step on toes but to make sure folks dont waste hours driving for nothing.

thanks for stepping up during OP's lock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Just saw this on a Ocala NF based facebook site.

Ocala National Forest expands list of temporarily shut down recreation areas
In alignment with current federal, state and local guidance for  social distancing and to ensure health safety of its employees, visitors  and volunteers, the U.S. Forest Service will temporarily shut down  additional recreation areas on the Ocala National Forest at 8 a.m. on  April 11, 2020. Hunting and fishing opportunities remain available to  the public. The recreation areas include: Developed, day use and  primitive recreation areas; trails, including trailheads and off-highway  vehicle corrals; boat ramp areas and U.S. Forest Service water access  sites; and Silver Glen Recreation Area.

" trails, including trailheads and off-highway  vehicle corrals "

This is in effect from 4/11 till 8/1. Shutdown for 3 and a half months? This is BS by the USDA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just saw this on a Ocala NF based facebook site.

Ocala National Forest expands list of temporarily shut down recreation areas
In alignment with current federal, state and local guidance for  social distancing and to ensure health safety of its employees, visitors  and volunteers, the U.S. Forest Service will temporarily shut down  additional recreation areas on the Ocala National Forest at 8 a.m. on  April 11, 2020. Hunting and fishing opportunities remain available to  the public. The recreation areas include: Developed, day use and  primitive recreation areas; trails, including trailheads and off-highway  vehicle corrals; boat ramp areas and U.S. Forest Service water access  sites; and Silver Glen Recreation Area.

" trails, including trailheads and off-highway  vehicle corrals "

This is in effect from 4/11 till 8/1. Shutdown for 3 and a half months? This is BS by the USDA.
View Quote

Like the usda monitors the trail systems out there. Though tgey close down hopkins and others from june/July through October anyway. To hot for the camp host i guess.
Either way.

Guess we should all just park on the shoulder and hump out down the road.

Fuck this stupidity.
And fuck the usda and fuck the trashy fuck wits that refuse to listen and tear shit up.

I'd like to know what fishing opportunities are open...lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#29]
"I'd like to know what fishing opportunities are open...lol "

Should say Fishing opportunities are only open to those with local knowledge of locations of private or community ramps. They closed all the public ramps. Morons.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"I'd like to know what fishing opportunities are open...lol "

Should say Fishing opportunities are only open to those with local knowledge of locations of private or community ramps. They closed all the public ramps. Morons.
View Quote
Community ramp here is closed via rumor mill. I haven't confirmed yet.
But grapevine is non members were using it because of the closures.

Im just pissed because how does closing trails...during the summer ( when trail useage drops 90% ) do jack fucking shit.
Its the time i enjoy it, because...ready for it.
Aint hardly anyone out there.

Guess its road marches....plenty of numbered roads to get lost on.

And i hope the locals tearing up places like the bridge off 445 get dick worms and anal fissures.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Fyi.
Same info posted on the USDA website about the closures.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey everyone sorry I've been absent, I caught an account lock over some drama in GD.

I am going to drive over to the trailhead today and see if they have it physically blocked off.  Even if they do, I doubt they will be out there enforcing it.  Rain is a possibility, but so far it is forecast for later in the day (Ft McCoy if you want to put it in your weather app).

Thanks for everyone for carrying on during my lock, and thanks especially to Protus for being willing to organize it in my absence.  

I'll post an update later, but I'm hoping we can still get a hike in one way or another.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hey everyone sorry I've been absent, I caught an account lock over some drama in GD.

I am going to drive over to the trailhead today and see if they have it physically blocked off.  Even if they do, I doubt they will be out there enforcing it.  Rain is a possibility, but so far it is forecast for later in the day (Ft McCoy if you want to put it in your weather app).

Thanks for everyone for carrying on during my lock, and thanks especially to Protus for being willing to organize it in my absence.  

I'll post an update later, but I'm hoping we can still get a hike in one way or another.
View Quote

Not a problem.

Im also looking into alternative locations just for future events during the closures.

Everyone park in my yard...ill toss a pork butt on..and we will road march down sr40 in protest...  6ft apart of course lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#34]
So I just got back, and the Yearling Trail is officially closed and roped off.

I would still like to get a hike in without getting anyone in trouble, so I have an alternative route to propose.  It is in the same immediate area.

Forest Road 46 (51) runs parallel to the trail, through basically the same terrain.  It has its own parking area that is 2 miles off the paved road and out of sight.  It is hard packed and will not require 4wd to get down.

I suggest that due to the closure we instead meet at Pat's Island Trail parking on FR 46.  We march 1.5 miles down the Forest Road to the East and back, give folks a couple minutes to add/remove weights and rewater, then immediately march 1.5 miles to the West and back for a total of 6 miles.

Forest Roads are legally roads and they aren't closed due to the shutdown, this should be completely above board.  It is literally the same area, here is the address for Google maps:

Pat's Island Trailhead
FR 51 Fort McCoy, FL

From the South,  it is the road immediately after the Yearling Trail, on your left.  From the North, the turn for 46/51 is on your right.  It is called 51 on the maps, but the signs on the road itself are labeled 46.

Attachment Attached File

The proposed route, with the red marker at the parking area:

Attachment Attached File

The sign on HWY 19 across from 46/51 that marks the turn:

Attachment Attached File

The turn for the parking area and the lot itself:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If you are still planning to attend, please check in here with your thoughts.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting that they didnt rope off the parking at Pats.

Will they be hunting over bait lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting that they didnt rope off the parking at Pats.

Will they be hunting over bait lol.
View Quote

I don't know, I saw a lot of cops out today but they were mostly around Salt Springs.

If everyone would prefer to reschedule for a later date that is fine by me as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Vert.
FYI many of the FWC controlled WMAs are not closed. Just checked in on the north east district.
Closet to the general area would be lake George/mary dexter and etonia creek wma iirc that is just over the bridge on 19 heading north off silver lake before you get to palatka.
Iirc as well part of the FT runs through it.
Theres a few others as well .

Maybe something to look into.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#38]
So now that I've read more about the closures it does seem like we might be pushing it by parking at Pat's Island. The rain chance has also increased since this morning.

Unless anyone objects I think we should reschedule the Yearling hike for when the trails re-open.  In the meantime I will scout out the ONF WMAs for somewhere we can still hike during the shutdown, as protus has been doing. Maybe we can get something set up in the next week or two.

I'll be back in in a half hour or so and I will update the OP to let everyone know.

EDIT:

OP updated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to hear it, but it actually works out for me as I had something come up tomorrow anyway. Thanks for the update though! Hopefully I can make it on the new day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I know it is getting hotter, but are there plans to revive this, or replace it with something at a different location?  I am new to the site, and looking for opportunities to meet some of you Florida folks.  It seems like this would be a good way to start, with the additional benefit of the exercise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I think the pandemic put a damper on things - the last Bay Area one was in April. There was some talk about setting one up soon but I think everyone's a little transfixed by all the unrest at the moment. Hell of a year, huh? For now, maybe check out the official FLBB thread pinned at the top of the forum and see which group would work best.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Was thinking about this few sweaty days back lol.

Ill put the AC on in the basement and cook some tenders for a sleep over if yall want
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top