Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2021 12:07:34 PM EDT
Rep. Cord Byrd is running for reelection in the State House after he was passed over for endorsement by the RPOF for the State Senate even after he did their bidding.

He has the nerve to claim he is a defender of Floridians Constitutional Rights, yet it was under his leadership as a committee chair that he killed FIVE of the SIX PRO-GUN BILLS THAT DIED UNDER REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP THIS PAST SESSION!

Some claim that "he was passed over and screwed by leadership specifically because of his hard work to limit the harm of the Stoneman Douglas act and his vocal push to fix our outdated and unconstitutional gun laws."

One of the bills he killed was HB 6083. HB 6083 would have repealed the Stoneman Douglas act (Parkland Gun Control) in its entirety and he never brought it up for a vote.

As the committee chair, he can bring up legislation for a vote.

Actions speak louder than words. He said one thing and did another this past session.

Byrd told me directly at the start of session that he would bring up HB 123, HB 1205, and HB 6083 for a vote. He said it would be by the half way mark of session.

He then backtracked and claimed that since there was no Senate Companion bill, it was a waste of time.

Sorry, but that excuse doesn't work with me.

He could have brought it up anyways and been the hero fighting the Legislative Dictators and he could have shown that he wasn't a Trunkless Pachyderm like others within the the political machine.

A RECORDED VOTE IS CRUCIAL.

Enough of the games where everything dies in committee without a vote.

These people claim they're pro-freedom? Then they need to prove it.

If HB 6083 had no path forward, then why worry about it. Bring it up for a vote and vote in favor of it so there is a record that he stood against the corruption.

Again, actions speak louder than words.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Cord has helped me out in the past and I really like the guy, but there seems to be a level of complacency in our legislature. Sure, we have control of it and it doesn't look like we will lose it soon, but why don't we run like hell with the ball while we have it? The left runs with the ball like their @$$ is on fire when they have the ball while all we do is wait for them to steal it when we have it. I don't understand it. I've collected petitions for him and will vote for him, but I really wish he would get something cooking and secure our future in regards to the Second Amendment in Florida. Change will come. We will lose the legislature sooner or later and the left will score touchdown after touchdown like they always do. If we would emulate their work ethic we would have no worries.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cord has helped me out in the past and I really like the guy, but there seems to be a level of complacency in our legislature. Sure, we have control of it and it doesn't look like we will lose it soon, but why don't we run like hell with the ball while we have it? The left runs with the ball like their @$$ is on fire when they have the ball while all we do is wait for them to steal it when we have it. I don't understand it. I've collected petitions for him and will vote for him, but I really wish he would get something cooking and secure our future in regards to the Second Amendment in Florida. Change will come. We will lose the legislature sooner or later and the left will score touchdown after touchdown like they always do. If we would emulate their work ethic we would have no worries.
View Quote
You answered your own question.... you said you'll still vote for him. That sends the message that you're fine with the complacency in our legislature.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got this email from Florid Carry:

Florida GOA Director Luis Valdes blames pro-gun state Rep. Cord Byrd for lack of action on gun bills

by Lee Williams

The Florida legislature has a pest-control problem – it’s infested with RINOs.

Republicans have controlled the state House, Senate and Governor’s mansion for years, but Floridians still don’t have constitutional carry. The Gunshine State once led the nation in gun rights – we pioneered concealed carry, Castile Doctrine and Stand Your Ground – but nowadays, Florida has the most restrictive gun laws of any Republican-majority state.

Much of the blame for this can be laid at the tiny feet of former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, who in 2018 gave then-Senate President Bill Galvano $500,000, which led to passage of the “Parkland Bill” – to date, the biggest, most sweeping gun control bill in the history of the state. Once this and other contributions were outed by the National Rifle Association, all the Bloomberg funding went underground.

At the state level, the blame begins and ends with the Republican Party of Florida, which tends to forget about gun owners until primary season. While there are state lawmakers who deserve praise, there are more than a few who deserve blame.

To be clear, Rep. Cord Byrd deserves our praise, as well as the thanks of every gun owner in the Gunshine State.

Byrd has proven he can always be counted on to support our God-given and constitutional right of self-defense. He is a strong supporter of both the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article I Section 8 of the Florida Constitution, and he has earned an A+ rating from the NRA.

When it comes to guns, Byrd has proven time and time again he is one of us and not a RINO, and I’m reasonably certain that when he cuts himself shaving, he bleeds Hoppe’s #9.

Unfortunately, none of that mattered to Luis Valdes, the Florida Director of the Gun Owners of America.

For reasons known only to Valdes, he singled Byrd out for blame Wednesday – posting an extremely offensive and naïve statement on social media.

Personally, I’ve never met Valdes, although we’ve spoken on the phone a few times. It is important that he and other advocates who come before the legislature understand the legislative process, and Valdes’ ignorant post proves he does not understand the process. Even worse, he did a disservice to gun owners by attacking a trusted lawmaker – a true friend of ours – who champions the Second Amendment.

In my opinion, Valdes must think that by attacking legislators who have a proven track record of advocating for gun owners, he somehow gains street cred. In fact, all this does is prove he does not deserve the trust of gun owners or the ability to speak on their behalf.

Valdes needs to understand that limited committee time cannot be spent on bills that have no chance of passing. That includes bills that do not have a companion in the other chamber. Legislators must find a sponsor in the other chamber. When they don’t or can't, the blame lies with them for failing to do their job, not with a committee chairman who has a duty to ensure that bills of other members who have done their homework are heard.

Valdes’ attack did not go unnoticed.

“When groups and group spokespersons, who don't understand the legislative process, attack legislative leadership and committee chairmen who support the Second Amendment, they shoot themselves in the foot and do an enormous disservice to law-abiding gun owners,” said Marion Hammer, past president of National Rifle Association, current NRA board member and executive director of the Unified Sportsmen of Florida.

Others agree.

“It’s hard to call this friendly fire when it’s intentional,” said Sean Caranna, founder and executive director of Florida Carry, Inc. “This is a case of someone who cannot tell friend from foe. GOA has in the past and should do better. I am surprised at this short-sighted attack, and I call on GOA to get their house in order.”

A longtime Florida Carry member tried to talk some sense into Valdes Wednesday, but he wouldn’t hear of it and doubled down on the comments he made is his post. As someone who spent 20 years as an investigative reporter, I understand Valdes wants to generate buzz and possibly a headline, and he’s not the first to go after a well-known member of the gun community in the hopes it will create even more of a splash, but we have a hard enough time gaining friends in Tallahassee. Badmouthing our allies and holding them up for ridicule is naïve and counterproductive. While I am all-in on holding public officials accountable, you have to go after the right public officials. Let’s start with those who are anti-gun.

I have nothing but respect for Gun Owners of America, but clearly Valdes and GOA owe Byrd an apology. It should be public, heartfelt and it should happen most ricky-tick.

Lee Williams is a board member of Florida Carry, Inc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You answered your own question.... you said you'll still vote for him. That sends the message that you're fine with the complacency in our legislature.
View Quote

We have been through some unprecidented unproductive times lately in every institution in the country. I consider that a factor in recent inactivity overall in our legislature. Do I trust Cord to not sell us out like Rick Scott? Yes. I will vote for him. Does some diligent effort need to be put forth to unify GOP in FL, garner support for good bills, and get some things done while the getting is good? Absolutely. It is a tough situation. Had this last couple of legislative years happened in another time I might think differently about it. Everything is backlogged like crazy and it would not surprise me if we see a couple more years of not much getting done. I'm not happy about it but it is what it is. I am not at all fine with any level of complacency and that statement was not specifically related to Cord. One man can only do so much, especially when the rest aren't so interested in the mission. As far as sending messages goes, I have sat Rick Scott out since he left the governor's mansion and will continue to do so. If others get stupid and act like democrats I'll sit them out too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
RINO GOP members are primarily anti gun.  With the legislature and executive in GOP hands, and for years, Constitutional   carry or at least open  carry should be a no brainer.  The bills never get out of committee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top