Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my Non-Resident CWP renewal yesterday! Sent my renewal application in on 3/2/11.

One question: On my CWP from 2006, it had my address printed below my name on the front side, but my new one only has my name printed and DOB. When did they stop putting the address on there? I hope this does not affect it being a valid photo ID.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Question regarding carry in vehicle...... I am a CWP holder.....

Are ar15 pistols treated the same as a handgun as far as having in vehicle?    

also can you carry nfa weapons in car/self? i saw someone talking about it on this post, but it was just his opinion.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
Got my Non-Resident CWP renewal yesterday! Sent my renewal application in on 3/2/11.

One question: On my CWP from 2006, it had my address printed below my name on the front side, but my new one only has my name printed and DOB. When did they stop putting the address on there? I hope this does not affect it being a valid photo ID.

Quick answer, dunno ... sorry ...
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#4]
Originally Posted By crkone:
Question regarding carry in vehicle...... I am a CWP holder.....

Are ar15 pistols treated the same as a handgun as far as having in vehicle?    

also can you carry nfa weapons in car/self? i saw someone talking about it on this post, but it was just his opinion.....

An AR15 pistol is a pistol.  Thats it.  

Also, there is nothing in the FL state statues differentiating an NFA item from its non-NFA counterpart (that I have seen).   Now if you are involved in a self-defense shooting using a legally owned Glock 18 you may have a to spend some money on a good attorney since the DA may consider its use above necessary force.

As for people giving "opinions", I'm not an attorney, this entire post is an opinion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one that I may have missed the answer to. If so, the I apologize, but I can't find it here or on the DOL's website:

My license is going to expire in 6 months. What are the steps to renew it? I know the DOL will send me a packet 150 days prior to the expiration, but what are the steps?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, so they are turning these applications around in about a week now?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I've got one that I may have missed the answer to. If so, the I apologize, but I can't find it here or on the DOL's website:

My license is going to expire in 6 months. What are the steps to renew it? I know the DOL will send me a packet 150 days prior to the expiration, but what are the steps?

I'm not sure, best advise is to contact the DOL.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Accomplice1:
Wow, so they are turning these applications around in about a week now?

If you do it at a regional office, yes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the regional offices are great with these. It took 8 business days to receive mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know the current turn around time for mailed in nonresident applications ?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had my permit for years now.

Can I hand my gun to my GF to keep in her purse if I am still with in arm's reach. Is that g2g?

What about if leave to go to the rest room??
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

Can I hand my gun to my GF to keep in her purse if I am still with in arm's reach. Is that g2g?

Her purse = her possession not yours.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Accomplice1] [#13]
Went in to get mine today.  The first available appt. was 2-3 weeks away when I booked it.  I spent about 15-20 minutes there and it was easy.  The people were very nice but the lady taking pictures and shuffling the paperwork seemed to get confused as to who belonged to which picture.  I'm thinking there is a good chance that somebody who looks completely different will be pictured on my license when it arrives.  I don't own a small handgun of any kind but I do have an AR pistol and my 5.11 sling pack gets here Wednesday.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Went in on the 20th and got my CCW in the mailbox on the 24th.  That is nutty fast.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Accomplice1:
Went in on the 20th and got my CCW in the mailbox on the 24th.  That is nutty fast.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By Miami02TJ:

Originally Posted By Chas8008:

Her purse = her possession not yours.

thought so, thanks

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Mailed in my nonresident application from Nevada over Memorial day weekend, received my permit last week.  About 1 month total including mailing time... not too bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
question, not CCW. I am in my back/side yard which is fenced but it is chain link. I have a couple of IPSC targets set up and I am doing draw, dry fire and reload practice. My neighbor, we are not friendly, walks over and says I am making his wife nervous and she is going to call the police if I don't stop... I stopped right away but I would like to know if I am within my rights to be doing this...
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
When picking up someone at the airport, is it ok to have a gun in the vehicle?

Thank you very much...
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 11:06:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#20]
Originally Posted By ave8er:
question, not CCW. I am in my back/side yard which is fenced but it is chain link. I have a couple of IPSC targets set up and I am doing draw, dry fire and reload practice. My neighbor, we are not friendly, walks over and says I am making his wife nervous and she is going to call the police if I don't stop... I stopped right away but I would like to know if I am within my rights to be doing this...

I have no idea.  Try calling your local sherrifs office.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MiamiSniper:
When picking up someone at the airport, is it ok to have a gun in the vehicle?

Thank you very much...

I have not seen a law that says you can't. In fact, FL states that you can't carry "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport".  It does not say anything about the parking lot.  Now with 9/11 and all I'm not sure if a federal law has passed making it a no-no but I've seen nothing saying so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a current GA CWP. I moved here last May. I now have a FL drivers license.
1. Can I purchase a handgun and take it that day, or do I have to wait 3 days?
2. Can I legally carry concealed here in FL with my GA license that reciprocates?

I know I could if I still had a GA ID. How about with the FL ID?

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dwheeler78:
I have a current GA CWP. I moved here last May. I now have a FL drivers license.
1. Can I purchase a handgun and take it that day, or do I have to wait 3 days?
2. Can I legally carry concealed here in FL with my GA license that reciprocates?

I know I could if I still had a GA ID. How about with the FL ID?

I'm confused.

I'm not an attorney so I'm not the person to help you find answers but I'll try ...  I of course may be completely wrong ...

1. I believe that FL excepts you from the waiting period only if you have a FL concealed weapons licence.
2.  You need to read the GA laws. Chances are once you became a resident of FL your GA licence became invalid

Make your life easy, get a FL CWL ...
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I did my application at the regional office in Jacksonville, I when in on the July 13th and I got mine back today, but i think it was sitting in my PO Box for a week...
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Theoretically, if you are convicted of misdemeanor concealed weapon because you were carrying with a permit in a no-go area and get fined or jailed, can you still go back and get your permit again?  I see the law says you can't get a permit if you got a sentence over one year but misdemeanor concealed weapon has a maximum penalty of one year in jail.  I've never done this but I'm really curious.

I tried to find this in the thread and didn't see it.  If I missed it, I apologize.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By amd_dude:
Theoretically, if you are convicted of misdemeanor concealed weapon because you were carrying with a permit in a no-go area and get fined or jailed, can you still go back and get your permit again?  I see the law says you can't get a permit if you got a sentence over one year but misdemeanor concealed weapon has a maximum penalty of one year in jail.  I've never done this but I'm really curious.

I tried to find this in the thread and didn't see it.  If I missed it, I apologize.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By amd_dude:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06
That's what I thought.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I might have missed this but can you carry a rifle as long as you have a CCW permit?  For example, can I carry an underfolder AK hidden in my backpack while walking around town with a CCW Permit?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Can some one please explain question #4? As I understand it the answers are yes and yes
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FireStar:
I might have missed this but can you carry a rifle as long as you have a CCW permit?  For example, can I carry an underfolder AK hidden in my backpack while walking around town with a CCW Permit?

from here

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). ((SNIP)) ....

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:
Can some one please explain question #4? As I understand it the answers are yes and yes

Question number 4 is quite tricky and case law leaves much to the interpretation of an LEO and local prosecutors ...  I would say refer to the book.  But it if you don't already have it.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
On behalf of many new CWP obtainees. I thank you for taking the time to cover all the bases with this wealth of knowledge and resources.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to a Miami dade county building (by FIU) to inquire about zoning and was not sure if I was allowed to carry into that building... can you please clarified this one for me?
Thanks again...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Does being on a prescription pain med disqualify you from Florida CWL?
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#35]
On the fingerprint card for us out of state guys I have a few questions.

1. The "employer name and address" is that supposed to be the LEO doing the prints since it's below his signature line? or mine?

2. The "your number OCA" What is that?

3. The "FBI number" What's that?

4. The "Miscellaneous Number" What else would they be wanting here?
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#36]
Originally Posted By Scorp_DX:
On the fingerprint card for us out of state guys I have a few questions.

1. The "employer name and address" is that supposed to be the LEO doing the prints since it's below his signature line? or mine?

The LEO's station address. But, from experience they think it should be your address. I've actually argued with an LEO at the station and when I pointed to the FBI website showing it was the LEO's Address he said the FBI website was incorrect.

2. The "your number OCA" What is that?

3. The "FBI number" What's that?

4. The "Miscellaneous Number" What else would they be wanting here?

Nothing else you need to worry about ...

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Does being on a prescription pain med disqualify you from Florida CWL?

Call the state on that one ...
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MiamiSniper:
I went to a Miami dade county building (by FIU) to inquire about zoning and was not sure if I was allowed to carry into that building... can you please clarified this one for me?
Thanks again...

The statue says you can't carry at:

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taom] [#39]
I live in Hillsborough county and would like to hike at the Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve and Triple creek preserve, almost 6,000 acres of wilderness area that was purchased thru the ELAPP program. Some of these trails can be very remote and I would feel better if I had a handgun with me, also Florida Panther's have  been spotted in this area. I do have an CWP.
After checking the site over (see link) I noticed the county has a policy of no firearms. Can the county set this kind of policy? I also hike the Alifia river state park and I don't see and rules against carring a handgun.
 http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/parks/resources/forms/parkservices/trails67.pdf
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dmfl54:
I live in Hillsborough county and would like to hike at the Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve and Triple creek preserve, almost 6,000 acres of wilderness area that was purchased thru the ELAPP program. Some of these trails can be very remote and I would feel better if I had a handgun with me, also Florida Panther's have  been spotted in this area.
After checking the site over (see link) I noticed the county has a policy of no firearms. Can the county set this kind of policy? I also hike the Alifia river state park and I don't see and rules against carring a handgun.
 http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/parks/resources/forms/parkservices/trails67.pdf

I just added this to the FAQ thanks to your question

State law 790.33 preempts all county and city laws when related to firearms and ammunition. They mean squat.  Not only are they meaningless, but stiff penalties are in place if state law is violated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
(h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

On number 5, the red portion that I highlighted, what evidence are they looking for? I have called the Punta Gorda, Tampa, and Orlando licensing offices to just be told that I would either need a dd-214 or an NRA safety course. Noone even knew this was an option. Are they looking for an RO course? Or would membership cards/score results be sufficient?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By xpired:
1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2.Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3.Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6.Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

On number 5, the red portion that I highlighted, what evidence are they looking for? I have called the Punta Gorda, Tampa, and Orlando licensing offices to just be told that I would either need a dd-214 or an NRA safety course. Noone even knew this was an option. Are they looking for an RO course? Or would membership cards/score results be sufficient?

Only the state can answer this one ...
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By xpired:

Only the state can answer this one ...

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Thanks for the reply

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#44]
My son took print outs of IDPA scores a month or so ago. The girl highlighted his name and then they other girl said I can't use these because they are highlighted.... My son was like your other girl did it and they were fine. Got his permit 2 weeks later. :-)
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#45]
This may have been answered but I will ask again because I almost got arrested 2 years ago over a pocket knife...  Can I carry at the St. Lucie County Fair??  Their web site says:

Notice:  
The following may not be brought onto the fairgrounds Animals (except properly identified service animals),  Outside Beverages, Alcoholic Beverages, Weapons, and Coolers.  St Lucie County Fair staff and/or St. Lucie County Sherriff Deputies shall make the final determination as to whether an item may be brought onto the grounds.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#46]
This may have been answered but I will ask again because I almost got arrested 2 years ago over a pocket knife...  Can I carry at the St. Lucie County Fair??  Their web site says:

Notice:  
The following may not be brought onto the fairgrounds Animals (except properly identified service animals),  Outside Beverages, Alcoholic Beverages, Weapons, and Coolers.  St Lucie County Fair staff and/or St. Lucie County Sherriff Deputies shall make the final determination as to whether an item may be brought onto the grounds.

If its not on the list of no-go carry places on the first pst, you should be g2g.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Notice:  

Unless the location is specifically listed under 790.06 (12) it is not a violation and you should not be charged.  Notice I said "should not", unfortunately there are those who wear the badge that do not know the law as they should.  If you are found to be in possession of a weapon while on private property and the owner or agent of the property tells you to leave do so immediately; if the item in question is a weapon under FL Statute and you fail to leave you can be charged with armed trespassing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know if the cost of a ccw is about drop? Sorry if this has been asked already and thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:46:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#50]
Originally Posted By Sons_Of_Patriots:
Does anyone know if the cost of a ccw is about drop? Sorry if this has been asked already and thanks for the input!

http://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/billsummaries/2012/html/240

HB 5601 — License to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm
by Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee; and Rep. T. Williams and others
This bill amends s. 790.06, F.S., to reduce the maximum fee allowable for a new license to carry a concealed weapon from $85 to $70, and a renewal license from $70 to $60.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2012.
Vote: Senate 34-6; House 102-16
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top