Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
Hey folks.

My wife and I are in a situation as one of our daughter's friends (Female 21 years old) was evicted from their fathers house yesterday, and the mother (separated) will not take them in.

This kid was kicked out with basically a bag of toiletries, their cell phone, and their laptop.  We let them spend the night on our couch and my wife just spent $60 at Goodwill to get them some clothes. My wife has been calling local shelters and there are no beds available from what I am hearing. To complicate the issue, the girl has no id/documentation as that's all with the estranged mother who refuses to give it back (so we've been told).

One of our friends has done work with GA DFCS and they are giving us some guidance but there's no family, relatives or anyone they can go to, supposedly.

Does anyone have any recommendations, contacts or anything they can point me to in order to help them out of our house and into a shelter? We are not part of any churches so we have no contacts there.

I don't know the kid or the family or anything about this whole mess and this is extremely stressful for both my wife and myself. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

UPDATE:
Hey all here's a quick update.

Thank you to everyone for everything.
At this moment, the woman has shelter at another residence for the night (not ours) and tomorrow afternoon my wife will take her to Good Neighbor Homeless Shelter (110 Porter St W, Cartersville, GA 30120) to do all the paperwork for admission as we missed the cut off today. We will get her some dinner tonight and a little bit of cash <$50 to help them along for the next bit or so.

I think there's still some things to be worked out but it's a much better option than we had yesterday and this morning.

Please keep your fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow and they can start working on a new life.

Again I greatly appreciate all the help and advice shared.
This place really is the best!

Final update:
Ok my wife and daughter got the woman checked into the shelter. They did the intake, passed the drug screen, and got assigned a place to put their belongings. I don't have all the details but there are rules, curfews, etc. that will have to be adhered to. I believe they will be assigned a job shortly as well to get them working.

My heartfelt thanks to all the great advice, resources, IM's from every one here.

I am putting together a list of things for my kids in case they have any other friends that are in dire need of help based upon what you gents have given me. Hopefully it's not needed but if so, it will be there.

Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not a fundraiser request or anything. We do not want any money for this.

I cross posted this in Team as well in case there are more eyes that can help with the issue.

This is in Gwinnett county btw.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can say is... don't let other people's problems become your problems.

Proceed with caution. A young female in the house, with God knows what kind of background, is just asking for trouble.

You've been warned.

ETA- You don't just "get evicted", it's a court process that in most states isn't taken lightly. In other words, if the girl was in fact evicted, there's probably supporting reasons for a Judge to have order it so.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I can say is... don't let other people's problems become your problems.

Proceed with caution. A young female in the house, with God knows what kind of background, is just asking for trouble.

You've been warned.
View Quote

I totally agree. Hence trying to get them out and someplace else ASAP.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I totally agree. Hence trying to get them out and someplace else ASAP.
View Quote

SET FIRM LIMITS ASAP. Do not allow consecutive nights sleeping over. Do not allow the person to "stash" or store ANYTHING at your residence for any reason. You need to take precautions to reduce the claim "they let me move in, I live here now" as if that happens, you just might be fucked.

Twenty-five years of LE is speaking here... this shit can spin out of control faster than you realize.

Stay a night, hit the road for two, etc., no consecutive stays and no property left behind.

ETA- I don't know your state law, but many states look at the totality of the situation to determine if a person has "residency", and that standard is, generally speaking, when a person leaves the residence, where is it that they INTEND to return to?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
...Sorry, I don't have any help to offer, but 'Bowhntr' is dead on the money with the above advice....

...If they were kicked out, it was for a reason (even if it wasn't a 'good' reason to others)...
...The fact the Mother doesn't want this 21 year old in HER home, says something...either about the mother or the 21 year old.....
...There are many out there that survive on the kindness of others....This may not be the case here, but setting limits and rules, and the reaction to that, can tell you a lot....
...I know you said this was a friend of your daughters, but just how close of a 'friend'?....Many young ladies feel they have to 'protect' people they know casually or second or even third hand if they're 'in trouble'....Admirable, but an easy way for trouble to become YOUR problem....
...If possible, talk to one or both of the 21 year old's parents and ask them what's going on....Maybe they're just evil people...or maybe the young woman is trouble looking for a new home....

...All in all, I may just be jaded or pessimistic, but protect yourself and your family first, help others as possible, don't fall for every story told by the 'victim' and know the backstory before you do anything else.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
New Beginnings
706-356-2113

Harmony House
706-885-1525

Op you messing up by bring the problem to your home. Hope they can help her/you out.

If she is a victim of some sort of crime/abuse contact your local DA office and request to speak to a Victim services representative. The state has funds set aside to help victims of crimes.

https://crimevictimscomp.ga.gov/our-programs/victims-compensation/

I have seen them assist families who have had loved ones murdered, Killed by a drunk driver etc..

Also reach out to your church or if you are not a member ask some family that may attend a church. One of our sheriff deputy has put up homeless people in hotel rooms for a few nights due to the church he belongs to has a fund set aside to help people in situations like that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Posted in Team,too:

OP, TheDrake House in Alpharetta is a thrift store that funds shelters for women.  I would call them, explain the situation, and see if they can refer you:

https://thedrakehouse.org/

Their "contact us" page has this:

Please call (844) 249-8367 for emergency shelter or housing assistance.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey all here's a quick update.

Thank you to everyone for everything.

At this moment, the woman has shelter at another residence for the night (not ours) and tomorrow afternoon my wife will take her to Good Neighbor Homeless Shelter (110 Porter St W, Cartersville, GA 30120) to do all the paperwork for admission as we missed the cut off today.

We will get her some dinner tonight before we drop her off and a little bit of cash <$50 to help them along for the next bit or so.

I think there's still some things to be worked out but it's a much better option than we had yesterday and this morning.

Please keep your fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow and she can start working on a new life.

I'll drop another update tomorrow for those interested.

Again I greatly appreciate all the help and advice shared.

This place really is the best!

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Check with the Victims Advocate in the Gwinnett DA’s office. They may have some resources they can relay to you.
Walton has F.I.S.H/Faith in Serving Humanity to offer some aid.

Like it was said helping her is admirable but be cautious of the potential pitfalls.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The Christian Women's center in Sunnyside Georgia is one.
If you know a Woman addicted to drugs and wanting to get clean , The woman at the well treatment center in Athens Tennessee is one of the best I've heard of.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Updated the 1st post with the latest good news.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
May be a little late, but united way has resources for this as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top