Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2013 10:46:52 PM EDT
So, I've located one shop so far that will facilitate FTF transfers in Colorado for the legally mandated $10 dollar fee.  The Shooting Shack in Littleton CO advised that they will take on the hardship on Saturdays, from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm.  Of course this is subject to change.  Anyone else know of CO dealers that will do a transfer that nets them absolutely nothing?  This whole twist on the gun law is bullshit, as FFL holders have no incentive to provide this service other than the appreciation of customers, since they cannot charge a fee for their time, and have to do the paperwork basically for a financial loss.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
10 dollar fee for the background check which goes to CBI.
10 dollar fee the dealer is allowed to keep to cover their costs.

so, its not really for free. The rub is whether 10 dollars covers the time / cost of the paper. For retail shops, I can understand the resistance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Elk Bomb In milliken. 970-587-9611  Noon -6pm.     This is one of my favorite LGS. Great CS, good communication (when they are not slammed) with reloading orders / ph calls. Very small Mom & Pop deal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:26:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R14] [#3]
Originally Posted By cmeyer001:

so, its not really for free. The rub is whether 10 dollars covers the time / cost of the paper. For retail shops, I can understand the resistance.

So it was part of the law that a licensed dealer is only allowed to charge $10 on their end and no more?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know of a shop in Ft. Collins/Loveland area that will do it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By R14:

So it was part of the law that a licensed dealer is only allowed to charge $10 on their end and no more?

That is correct for private party in state transfer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedave1164] [#8]
I think it's funny people are even complying with these blatantly unconstitutional laws.

<edited by thedave1164 COC violation>
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 4:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedave1164] [#9]
Originally Posted By forgebench:
I think it's funny people are even complying with these blatantly unconstitutional laws. <edited by thedave1164 COC violation>

Well, I think a lot of concern comes from buying a firearm from an online marketplace from an unknown quantity. You purchase a gun from dude on the EE, how do you know the person isn't setting you up in a sting?

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL_Safety] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Well, I think a lot of concern comes from buying a firearm from an online marketplace from an unknown quantity. You purchase a gun from dude on the EE, how do you know the person isn't setting you up in a sting?

View Quote

Exactly, although I think the sting can work both ways - ie you sell a gun to a guy you don't know on the EE.  Or how do you know if the gun winds up stolen or used in a crime that it won't come back to burn you?  Granted it's only a misdemeanor offense, but that would still be the effective end of my career.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same law as in New York and it is by design.  The FFL won't do the transfer for $10.00 so they have
effectively stopped the transfer of firearms between private citizens.  I'm an FFL but I can assure you
if I have a gun in my collection that is not on the books I will not comply nor will most other privates.
So now you have a law that is unenforceable and completely ineffective.  The one thing these morons
set out to do with back ground checks is a complete failure...just like everything a Liberal does.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody have more shops that will do transfers for private parties?  Beyond the general discussion about how appropriate the current situation is, I need a shop that will do a Sunday transfer so I can complete a trade.  A shop on the I-25 corridor  between Denver and Fort Collins is what I am looking for, on a Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AL_Safety:
Anybody have more shops that will do transfers for private parties?  Beyond the general discussion about how appropriate the current situation is, I need a shop that will do a Sunday transfer so I can complete a trade.  A shop on the I-25 corridor  between Denver and Fort Collins is what I am looking for, on a Sunday.
View Quote

I am in the same boat. trying to make a trade for a 10/22. on a sunday (today)
I didn't even realize this was a law until Friday. I am trying to find a place between Westminster and Denver. after 5pm.
yeah I know.. ugh.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 2:39:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scott69916] [#15]
Pri-Paird
990 S Public Rd Lafayette, CO 80026
(877) 434-7548

39.989783,-105.089122

They will do private transfers, did one a couple weeks ago. Yes, they are open on sunday till 5, and have ammo!
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Riley1980:

I didn't even realize this was a law until Friday. I am trying to find a place between Westminster and Denver. after 5pm.
yeah I know.. ugh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Riley1980:
Originally Posted By AL_Safety:

yeah I know.. ugh.

i found out you can go to a cabelas and do it for 10$.
i have not done it yet, but they told me over the phone they would do it.
FYI
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
JAX in Fort Collins will do transfers, but only non-military type, non high capacity guns - their language.  Basically hunting rifles, revolvers, and handguns that don't have mags available for more than 15 rounds.  Not much help.  They will tell you over the phone that they do the transfers, and likely fail to mention the restrictions on black guns, high caps, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
High Altitude Firearms in Fountain will do them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI, called Gander Mtn at 104 & I-25, they told me, yes we do private BGC for $10, never told me they charge a $75.00 transaction fee.
I will never be back!
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 1:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedave1164] [#21]
<edited by thedave1164, please check your PM's>
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Stop Drop & Shop.  Located in COS on Academy just south of Austin Bluffs.

$30 total for a transfer - that includes the state fee.  You can have your internet orders sent to them, or use them for transfers between private parties.

I've used them a number of times, no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Bass Pro will complete private transfers for $10 if both parties are present.  If you are having a firearm shipped to them they charge $30 plus the $10 fee.  For receiving/transferring shipped guns Firing Line charges $30 + $10, Cabela's charges $50 + $10 and Centennial Gun Club Charges $65 + $10 for non-members, $15 + $10 for members (I don't know about private FTF transfers at any of these).
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried to go through 5280 armory to have a knight armament rifle transferred for me from a dealer in florida and they said  ( no ) - I'm confused. It was so weird- they had to have this secret meeting with another and came back to me with the verdict  ( N0 )

sorry to vent - I have never had this trouble before
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc45] [#25]
On Wednesday, May 28 I met a buyer for one of my items for sale at The Shootist in Englewood, $20 charged to the buyer and we were done in 10 minutes.  I hadn't been in there in a very long time, it was a very pleasant experience.  I have another for sale and that's where I'll meet any buyer that's interested.  They really couldn't have made it any easier.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doolsmack_Bud] [#26]
One thing i have not been able to figure out from the new laws, Is it legal to transfer a pistol privately to someone under 21 in CO?  I only ask because im not sure if that's legal b/c it goes through an FFL now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I am looking to do a private sale transfer of a Pistol I am selling to someone from Armslist.  We will both be there in person.  As close to downtown Denver as possible is preferable.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Doolsmack_Bud:
One thing i have not been able to figure out from the new laws, Is it legal to transfer a pistol privately to someone under 21 in CO?  I only ask because im not sure if that's legal b/c it goes through an FFL now.
View Quote

Only if that person is your child, from what I understand.

Dead thread, I know, but DCF Guns in Castle Rock will do them for you.  $6 for CBI and $25 transfer fee for members, $45 for non members.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmeyer001] [#30]
MCM Tactical, LLC
Elbert, CO
303-648-0046
[email protected]

10 for private party transfer, 7 for the CBI.
20 for internet transfer, 7 for CBI
50 for Title 2 Transfer, 7 for CBI (if needed).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top