Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2021 5:24:44 AM EDT
Hi,
Are extension tubes legal in CT and what is the max rounds I can go with a pump?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes extension tubes are legal on pump shotguns. However, one is limited to 10 rounds max in that pump action shotgun tube magazine.

Sec. 53-202w. Large capacity magazines. Definitions. Sale, transfer or possession prohibited. Exceptions.

(1) “Large capacity magazine” means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;
On a side note, there is further limitation on tube magazine capacity for post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic shotguns in the old AWB, which still applies. In that specific case, if the post ban semi auto shotgun has a tube magazine in excess of 5 rounds, having any additional evil features (a folding or telescoping stock or a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon) would make it an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive always been curious on how shell length vs tube length is applied to our laws.  

An 8rd tube holds like 12rds of mini shells.  Of course we would only load 10rds of minis, but would the mag be considered a LCM?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive always been curious on how shell length vs tube length is applied to our laws.  
View Quote

Yep, law doesn't address that. Just indicates if it has a capacity of more than 10 rounds its an LCM. Probably comes down to the law enforcement officer who discovers the firearm loaded with more than 10 rounds (outside of lever action or .22 cal tube magazines).

Some even get confused over the magazines used on shotguns like the Kel-Tech KSG. Two separate magazines that one has to manually switch between. Even there, each individual tube magazine is technically limited to 10 rounds. The wording of the stupid law is what it is.

To further confuse people, having a magazine over five rounds on a post ban semiautomatic shotgun is an issue if that semiautomatic shotgun also has either a pistol grip or folding/collapsing stock.

Remember, these are what Democrats consider "common sense" gun laws.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, law doesn't address that. Just indicates if it has a capacity of more than 10 rounds its an LCM. Probably comes down to the law enforcement officer who discovers the firearm loaded with more than 10 rounds (outside of lever action or .22 cal tube magazines).

Some even get confused over the magazines used on shotguns like the Kel-Tech KSG. Two separate magazines that one has to manually switch between. Even there, each individual tube magazine is technically limited to 10 rounds. The wording of the stupid law is what it is.

To further confuse people, having a magazine over five rounds on a post ban semiautomatic shotgun is an issue if that semiautomatic shotgun also has either a pistol grip or folding/collapsing stock.

Remember, these are what Democrats consider "common sense" gun laws.
View Quote

That's how I read it too.  

I tend to over think everything, and when I bought my 500, I got the standard 5rd mag because only 9 mini shells will fit in.

Most will say I'm nuts but I really don't trust people.  Same reason I will not carry my G19 with a 15rd mag, downloaded to 10.  Too much leeway for a "Oops, ya got 11rds in that there mag buddy..."

Eta.  I don't even trust they would make the right call with things worded in black and white.  
Like some say. "May beat the charge, but not the ride"  And that ride alone would probably take years to recover from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top