Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2022 10:55:40 AM EDT
I realize that the world has been under complete stupidity for the last two years. Know the Texas DMV had extended tags for a brief period in 2020.

However, curious everyone's thoughts on why expired tags are so common, especially here in the Austin area.

I'm not concerned with the tags that just expired in the last month. In the HOA I'm in by the airport, seeing plenty of expired tags going back to 2019 and 2020.

My fiance is a deputy with the county and has passed info off to patrol deputies. However the process takes months to get a car towed. This assumes the car stays parked long enough for a patrol deputy to issue a citation.

Overall, it's aggravating to see this as I was harassed by rent-a-cop (wannabe cops) gate guards at Fort Leonard Wood last year for my tags expiring in November. Those yahoos do "random" inspections on those with tags that expire within 2-3 months. I was there for a class that ended in December and sure wasn't going to drive home to get my tag renewed. Fortunately my county just mailed me my sticker for being out of state. If I can get it done so easily without going to the county annex, what's stopping others?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the secrets to longer life is not concerning yourself with things you have no control over.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine expired in December. I had the inspection done and got the tags in the mail. Then I just let it sit on my dash in the envelop until last night.

Last year, I legit went 3 months before ordering tags.

Big city, no one cares.

It's kind of an experiment for me, just to see how long I can go.

When I call 911 for shooting outside, the first thing the 911 operator will ask is if there's actual bullets hitting my house. Doesn't matter what going on.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL!!

Austin has NOTHING on Houston / Harris County.

The "Criminally Vibrant" have been using bogus "Paper Plates" for their crime cars and to just avoid actually doing "White Stuff" like registering & paying taxes, having inspections, having state required insurance and other "rules" that "the Rest of Society" (A.K.A. "Suckers") have to follow...

In Houston, it's pretty much a given that in a drug deal, drive by, home invasion, robbery or other crime, that the vehicle will have Bogus Paper Plates on it...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL!!

Austin has NOTHING on Houston / Harris County.

The "Criminally Vibrant" have been using bogus "Paper Plates" for their crime cars and to just avoid actually doing "White Stuff" like registering & paying taxes, having inspections, having state required insurance and other "rules" that "the Rest of Society" (A.K.A. "Suckers") have to follow...

In Houston, it's pretty much a given that in a drug deal, drive by, home invasion, robbery or other crime, that the vehicle will have Bogus Paper Plates on it...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

The "Altima with paper tags" is a meme in the Reddit Dallas page now, there's so many.  One of them took out the DART rail service to part of town by flying off an elevated bridge into the electrical catenary lines below...  and the driver and passenger fled LOL

At least with an expired registration has been registered once
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't bother me one bit if people don't pay a tax to the state. Got way more important shit to worry about vs what others are doing.

In other words MYOB.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Doesn't bother me one bit if people don't pay a tax to the state. Got way more important shit to worry about vs what others are doing.

In other words MYOB.
View Quote

Just wait till one hits your vehicle or someone you care about and they don't have insurance. Keep you uninsured motorist insurance deductible low, homie.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We should all stop paying our taxes and make them reduce their spending
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine expired in December. I had the inspection done and got the tags in the mail. Then I just let it sit on my dash in the envelop until last night.

View Quote

This is close to my situation.  We had almost a year grace on renewing, and I never put the sticker on, even though I renewed timely.  My current sticker is in my glove box, but to someone looking at my car, it would look like it hasn't been registered in a couple of years.  I rarely drive it, so I just haven't been bothered.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is close to my situation.  We had almost a year grace on renewing, and I never put the sticker on, even though I renewed timely.  My current sticker is in my glove box, but to someone looking at my car, it would look like it hasn't been registered in a couple of years.  I rarely drive it, so I just haven't been bothered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got a lady friends sticker on ... expires in 2 more months so I'll be doing it again
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess it was 10 years back, Dallas tried to impound every car they found without insurance. IIRC - They ran out of space to store the cars.

I just assume no one has insurance and I'm gonna get fucked on the bill no matter what.

The guy who hit my daughter's car in December... he had insurance, but claimed he was hit by another car that didn't have insurance. The people without insurance claimed that he hit them.

What did insurance do? Tell me to get fucked and claim it on my policy.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been here three years, and have yet to put the registration sticker in the window of the truck.  It works fine in the glove box.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been here three years, and have yet to put the registration sticker in the window of the truck.  It works fine in the glove box.
View Quote

Does make you edgy?  You seem to be bragging about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Normally I'd be with the mind your own business group, but since the fiance's house is in an HOA my views change some. There's small parking lots sprinkled throughout the community. Typically one vehicle is parked there with expired tags that hasn't moved in a while.

If I lived out in a rural area, seeing beat up cars on one's private land is fine. It's another when it takes up limited parking.

Plus I'm an advocate of the Broken Windows Policy. Cite and enforce small things to prevent larger crimes. Bad enough Austin attracts Calexiters and other weirdos, often with paper plates and no insurance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you see more in the big cities due to emissions requirements and the cost of repairs. That and the rise of catalytic converter theft has people saying "screw it, if they won't do anything about the thefts then why should I spend the money for a new cat. I will just straight pipe it and forget the inspection and registration".
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.

But see what happens. We let a certain sector of society not follow the rules. And now when everyone else figures out they're getting selectively screwed over by paying their share and they stop following the rules, people get upset.

Make everyone get a sticker or get rid of the tax.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope.

But see what happens. We let a certain sector of society not follow the rules. And now when everyone else figures out they're getting selectively screwed over by paying their share and they stop following the rules, people get upset.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

You'll get nothing and like it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a razor blade.  New sticker in the glove box of the car since December too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I have made this a game and the most I have gone is 2 years and 2 months without getting the new tags.  I sold my boat but out of the 3 years I had it I didnt even have a license plate on its trailer.  I keep up to date on my fleet trucks but my personal ride,  fuck it sometimes you gotta feel like an outlaw.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Normally I'd be with the mind your own business group, but since the fiance's house is in an HOA my views change some. There's small parking lots sprinkled throughout the community. Typically one vehicle is parked there with expired tags that hasn't moved in a while.

If I lived out in a rural area, seeing beat up cars on one's private land is fine. It's another when it takes up limited parking.

Plus I'm an advocate of the Broken Windows Policy. Cite and enforce small things to prevent larger crimes. Bad enough Austin attracts Calexiters and other weirdos, often with paper plates and no insurance.
View Quote

HOA...

They sent me a Nasty Gram about a car with expired license plates (out by 4 months) that I had parked at my curb for a few days while working on my garage.

They stated that according to the HOA CCRs, "vehicles with expired license plates were subject to being cited for violations of the CCR and possibly towed away at the owners expense".

I wrote back to them that the Governor of Texas himself has suspended all license plate renewals (height of COVID) and that the County Tax Offices were all closed (Again due to COVID) and to put the cherry on top, sent a picture from the HOA Office parking lot of a number of the vehicles the directors & staff were driving that also had expired plates.  

I told them if I heard anything else ever again on this bull shit, that my attorney would rip them new ones and they would have the privilege's of paying for it all.

and THAT was the last I ever heard about THAT!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The answer is simple.  APD is no longer making traffic stops for non-moving violations and the Nuisance Vehicle Abatement unit was defunded and sent back to  patrol slots.

There is no one in Austin that will tow an abandoned vehicle, it's all on the specific property owner now to pony up the cash and call a wrecker.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The 1980s Volvo that has flat tires now and just decaying, taking up a parking space. Had one of the patrol deputies check it out. Plate matches the vehicle, but he can't read the VIN due to an aftermarket dashmat covering it. On top of that, the road is a private one, so Travis County can't really touch it.

I'd be curious how it would be to tow it away.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
As a general rule I do not renew the tag / inspection until I get ticketed for it.

To hell with the whole scheme.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone else notice that when you stop behind a car with California plates on it, the plates expired months or years ago?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that when you stop behind a car with California plates on it, the plates expired months or years ago?
View Quote

I've seen K's of expired paper plates in Texas the last couple of years....
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of the expired paper plates are counterfeit anyway...
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lots of the expired paper plates are counterfeit anyway...
View Quote

The scofflaws have upper their game, there are plenty of shady businesses that are selling "legitimate" paper tags to folks that can't pass inspection...or acquired the vehicles irregularly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I've actually got a car with paper plates on it...  But I just bought it on Friday and haven't even got an ETA from the county on when I can pick up my plates yet... I've got to call on Monday to make an appointment to do that.  All this covid madness is really starting to get old...
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The scofflaws have upper their game, there are plenty of shady businesses that are selling "legitimate" paper tags to folks that can't pass inspection...or acquired the vehicles irregularly.
View Quote

Some of those "car dealers" (some of them apparently may not even actually sell cars) have been so brazen that they sell them online even, to people who didn't buy a car from them...  You can go to a web site, fill in some info (which really isn't validated much) and pay with a credit card (which might even be stolen or a pre-paid card, etc) and then you can print the paper plate at home...  or Fedex-Kinkos.  I've actually seen people printing out a bunch of paper plates there.  Those might even be completely fake (there is software which will generate a real looking PDF).  Employees said "we can't do anything about it".  Despite the fact that I've been hassled in the past for making copies of a couple pages out of a book (out of print) because it is technically a Copyright violation.  Well, maybe.  It's kind of arguable whether a couple pages doesn't fall under the "fair use" exemption, especially if you own the original copy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top