Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
See new thread about meet-ups.

If you have signal, telegram or protonmail, please respond with your answers through there to me. Im just posting this here since not everyone has written to me, so i dont have the ability to reach everyone like i do here. Even if you dont have any of the apps, PLEASE IM me your times, just to keep it from public view, im gonna clean up my folder right now so i hopefully dont run out of space.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HAM would obviously be good, unfortunately im an idiot and am trying to understand it still... i do have a couple of baofengs (yeah, i know, china...) So if you tell me what freq, i can listen.

I know we have a couple of hardcore HAM's hear, if you guys wanna handle that side and just tell us uninformed what to do, thatd be awesome!

Never used whatsapp, so not sure comparison wise. It does say something about creating a group, problem is, not sure who wants to be in groups and who wants to be one on one, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Why don't we establish a 2M calling frequency?

HAM would obviously be good, unfortunately im an idiot and am trying to understand it still... i do have a couple of baofengs (yeah, i know, china...) So if you tell me what freq, i can listen.

I know we have a couple of hardcore HAM's hear, if you guys wanna handle that side and just tell us uninformed what to do, thatd be awesome!

Quoted:
I setup a Signal account.  Is there a group, like Whatsapp?

Never used whatsapp, so not sure comparison wise. It does say something about creating a group, problem is, not sure who wants to be in groups and who wants to be one on one, etc.

I have some baofengs as well not realy sure how to use them. Someone was talking about a different HF radio in a different thread earlier this week I've been meaning to read
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Something else to keep in mind is there might be group size limits with covid going on.  Not sure 10+ people would be able to walk in somewhere and get a table but idk.  I'd definitely make a reservation or verify beforehand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
For 2M 146.56 is a known simplex frequency and it's off the national calling channel.

Doesn't help a lot of us given how spread apart everything is.

Rimlink would be an option for most except those around Tucson (though they may have access, I'm just not familar with the repeater environment that far south.)

APRS could work pretty well, too. Coverage is pretty deep here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Chandler.  I'd be ingested in exchanging info and maybe doing some meet and greets.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
San Tan Valley checking in.

Friendly restaurant seems like a great place to have an initial meetup to start working out a plan and getting to know each other better. The time to push things off, or make up excuses as to why we can’t make it are over. Bad times coming and this isn’t a Hollywood movie. No one is coming to save us. It’s up to us.
View Quote

SAN Tan Valley here as well!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It would be good to have a Signal group or Keybase (if it wasnt owned by fucking China based Zoom)... Membership should be only after some sort of face 2 face or voucher system. Anyone got more ideas, or debate to those points? I'm all ears.

@AZNetEng
@freeride21a
View Quote
I am on Signal and have a number of groups established to keep up with members and friends. We could do an ARF AZ group and admit members as we could vouch for them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where are you guys sending an im, here or through signal?

I replied to your signal, turned my phone off for a bit, sorry. I was gonna do email, just not sure how many people still use the email they signed up with, plus im that stsy on this site seem more secure...

Yeah some sort of requirement should be in place to keep the group secure. Im gonna dive more into signal and see what i can figure out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Where are you guys sending an im, here or through signal?

Quoted:
I saw your IM, sent you a message on Signal, signed up for protonmail but can't get back to the IM to see your email address. When I click the IM button it takes me to another tab in my browser.
Emailing people from here may be better than IM's.

I replied to your signal, turned my phone off for a bit, sorry. I was gonna do email, just not sure how many people still use the email they signed up with, plus im that stsy on this site seem more secure...

Quoted:
It would be good to have a Signal group or Keybase (if it wasnt owned by fucking China based Zoom)... Membership should be only after some sort of face 2 face or voucher system. Anyone got more ideas, or debate to those points? I'm all ears.

@AZNetEng
@freeride21a

Yeah some sort of requirement should be in place to keep the group secure. Im gonna dive more into signal and see what i can figure out.
Signal does groups pretty well. IM me if you wanna talk.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Pm sent
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in.  North Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Queen Creek here. I was thinking earlier that we need to have some sort of local contact established if this site goes down again.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Another San Tan area guy here. Count me in.

@Gunslinger808
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Hes an awkward, nerdy canadian, but goes into a couple of ways to not use your personal number on signal if that is of interest to anyone. Also some of the features and what he enables and disables towards the end.

How to create Signal account without using personal phone number
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I also would like to have an organized ham frequency plan so maybe that's something to discuss at a get together.

Speaking of frequencies, I'm getting into HAM now and I would like to hear what frequencies/repeaters people have programmed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont want to bug people unnecessarily while they are working or anything, so im gonna put this here.

I would like to learn about groups on signal, so im looking for at least 2 people who are willing to be in a group with me (so 3 of us total at the moment). The caveat is that the other person might be able to see your number, name, etc. so i want to make sure you are aware and ok with that.

Also i have no messages on telegram and would like to test that program as well. So if you have telegram, please feel free to message me there as well. I would also be looking for the same thing there as well, 2 volunteers to test out groups on that app as well, same caveat as above.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I am way out west, but keep me in the loop, I will send a PM with an email.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont want to bug people unnecessarily while they are working or anything, so im gonna put this here.

I would like to learn about groups on signal, so im looking for at least 2 people who are willing to be in a group with me (so 3 of us total at the moment). The caveat is that the other person might be able to see your number, name, etc. so i want to make sure you are aware and ok with that.

Also i have no messages on telegram and would like to test that program as well. So if you have telegram, please feel free to message me there as well. I would also be looking for the same thing there as well, 2 volunteers to test out groups on that app as well, same caveat as above.

Thanks.
View Quote

I am emailing you in regards to Signal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm on Gab finally. Their services are slowly returning to normal after massive sign ups.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm on Gab finally. Their services are slowly returning to normal after massive sign ups.
View Quote

I wasnt sure what gab was, had to look it up... im not into the social media scene, but i guess im gonna kinda have to be to keep up with current events.

Damn people forcing me to change my lifestyle because they feel they are the most important things in the universe...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wasnt sure what gab was, had to look it up... im not into the social media scene, but i guess im gonna kinda have to be to keep up with current events.

Damn people forcing me to change my lifestyle because they feel they are the most important things in the universe...
View Quote

I hadn't logged into Fuckbook for months, this was the poke I needed to nuke that account, Insta, and Twatter. All gone yesterday for me.

Have not used Google in 3 years either.

Much more work to do.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I also would like to have an organized ham frequency plan so maybe that's something to discuss at a get together.

Speaking of frequencies, I'm getting into HAM now and I would like to hear what frequencies/repeaters people have programmed.
View Quote

I'd be interested in something as well.  I have a little bit of equipment i bought a few years ago, but I never followed through getting my license.  I can listen.  This might be the kick in the pants to get licensed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sun City guy here... sent you a PM @dread_scott.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Another Glendalian.  I have much to learn.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for the delay today. Ive had a couple people helping me work out the kinks with the apps and see which one gave us the most flexibility. There will be a post tonight with info needed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Did you get my pm?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you get my pm?
View Quote

I got one through the site yesterday, did i not respond?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Myself, @Jeepsnguns81, and @dread_scott have been working on figuring out a secure platform to have an AZ HTF chat and have found Telegram to be a solid choice. If you click the link it will take you to the website for the app and you can follow the appropriate link to download. You can also just go into the apple or android App Store and type in telegram and it should be the first option.

Once you have installed the app you have to sign up which consists of verifying your phone number using a code that you receive through text. When setting up your information you do not need to use your real name but you can if you want. You can use your Arfcom name so we can easily identify who is who.

Before joining the ground a few things must be done if you don't want people having your phone number.
From the main menu in the bottom right of the screen is the settings tab.

Once there you can click edit in the top right and set your username. Again you can set it to your Arfcom username.

Then go back to the settings menu and click on Privacy and Security.

Once here under privacy make sure your who can see my phone number is set to Nobody and who can find me is set to contacts only.

All other settings are optional. Once you have done this ask myself or the other two for an invite and we will send a link via Arfcom PM or email.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sun City guy here... sent you a PM @dread_scott.
View Quote

Not to go off topic, but holy crap @ join date v. post count.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Snip

Once you have done this ask myself or the other two for an invite and we will send a link via Arfcom PM or email.
View Quote

With us sending you the link, you should not have to import contacts or anything like that and as long as you set your privacy up as rex_allen has in the instructions, your phone number and name will NOT be visible to anyone else in the group, including admins.

We are going to start with one large chatroom for now to have it setup and a place to go if needed, we will start making smaller rooms and giving people access to those so people can start getting to know people in their area.

If you have any questions or need help, please reach out to one of us 3 for now.

Signal may still be an option, but it doesnt have ANYWHERE near the flexibility that telegram has.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Im about to run some errands which might take me away for the next couple hours. If you need help, please reach out to rex_allen or jeepsnguns81 for the next couple hours.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I have telegram set up, please EMAIL the link so I can open it on my phone/in the app.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think I have telegram set up, please EMAIL the link so I can open it on my phone/in the app.
View Quote

Link sent to email.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Is telegraph as secure as signal?  I was reading that it shows your location to close by users?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#34]
North Phoenix
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I have telegram set up, please send me the link to join through PM please.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have telegram set up, please send me the link to join through PM please.
View Quote

I'll IM you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is telegraph as secure as signal?  I was reading that it shows your location to close by users?
View Quote

The app doesn’t use location as far as I can tell
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can do that, but you have to allow it to do that. Unless you allow it to, it wont.

They say they care about privacy and they are encrypted. Ive heard signal touted quite a bit, but through the testing we did, telegram has a lot more features. I cant vouch for either 100%, so until proven otherwise, the one with the best features wins.

Here is a pic of part of their faq, they have plenty more to read.

Attachment Attached File

They do say that if there is something public that it can get taken down for certain things (ours is a private chat, and they said those wont be).

We probably should still have signal as an option/backup as well, its just not as feature rich or easy to use.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I noticed there is an option to turn that on, but by default it doesn't. And in my permissions when firing it up, location was not requested.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Good idea and thanks for the work. I’m in Buckeye and have proton and will be looking into the messaging apps
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Setup telegram
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Heres some more info as well.

Nevermind, cant read the photo, it was an expanded screenshot that cant be read.

Hopefully its legible...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Ok, I'm in telegram. PM me, please.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm all set up. Email please.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Morning from Buckeye.  I’d be interested in this for sure!

Telegram is good to go
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Goodyear #2 here--
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Telegram, from what I see, is Russian. Or at least the owners are. I'd need to do more research.

I have Whatsapp, but that's really only so I can text with my Colleagues overseas. I've never used it for non-work reasons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Telegram, from what I see, is Russian. Or at least the owners are. I'd need to do more research.

I have Whatsapp, but that's really only so I can text with my Colleagues overseas. I've never used it for non-work reasons.
View Quote

Unsure about the russians. As far as i know though, whatsapp is owned by facebook, so theres that.

It seems the brothers that founded telegram are russian. Here is the wikipedia page of one of the brothers and the CEO. It seems he has refused multiple times, with his previous company, to release info. I'm sure there is info on the other founders and brother, I just checked that one out real quick.

If you have written me or posted here, I have sent my info to you. Please feel free to reach out to me through signal or protonmail as well if you don't like telegram.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I believe ifound the right place
Scott
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top